Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 192526272829
    BANNED

Yeah criticism of vigilantism in mainstream superhero comics is pretty much obsolete at this point. We've all accepted that it's not realistic, but that it makes for more interesting stories than the alternative.

[QUOTE=unclepulky;2703671]
    Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post

If you enjoy heroes who wake one day and decide to go make the world a better place by donning spandex fair enough, me I need more than I want to make the world a better place cos 99% of people don't work that way.
    Human beings are selfish and self obsessed so I don't buy people fighting crime out of the goodness of their heart./QUOTE]

While this is true for the most part, I don't find that it's never untrue, and so I don't think suspension of disbelief is needed. I mean, I'm a case against your argument. I didn't grow up in the best town, and if I ever saw someone in danger or just being harassed, whether I knew them or not, I'd step in, whether that meant fighting or just talking depending on the situation.

So yes, MOST people are shitty. But from my experience, there are enough good ones that I can buy guys like Barry Allen and Clark Kent choosing to do what they do.
    There's a big difference between helping a stranger you see in need and dedicating your life to fighting crime even at the expense of your loved ones. I commend you for sticking up for the little guy but most people will not stake their safety or the safety of their family for a stranger. If they would the world wouldn't suck for so many and so many would not suffer needlessly everyday.

BANNED

[QUOTE=dietrich;2703695]
    Quote Originally Posted by unclepulky View Post

There's a big difference between helping a stranger you see in need and dedicating your life to fighting crime even at the expense of your loved ones. I commend you for sticking up for the little guy but most people will not stake their safety or the safety of their family for a stranger. If they would the world wouldn't suck for so many and so many would not suffer needlessly everyday.
    True I suppose, but it still works for me fine in the world of fiction.

And as we do agree, MOST people do suck. And the world sucks for it.

Which probably speaks to the appeal of Superheroes and their passionate and driven heroism .

And I think that speaks to part of Tim's appeal, on to of being a modern take and reconstruction of the classic Robin.

BANNED

[QUOTE=unclepulky;2703700]

True I suppose, but it still works for me fine in the world of fiction.

And as we do agree, MOST people do suck. And the world sucks for it.
    I agree as well, humanity is overwhelmingly horrible and I'm grateful for fantasy worlds like the DCU where that is not entirely the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Which probably speaks to the appeal of Superheroes and their passionate and driven heroism .

And I think that speaks to part of Tim's appeal, on to of being a modern take and reconstruction of the classic Robin.
    That is a huge part of the appeal of superheroes and comic s for me but Maybe I'm so pessimistic that I can't commit 100% hence why I can't buy the people who do good just for the sake of it especially when the stakes are so high and the innocent around them suffer by association.

That is a huge part of the appeal of superheroes and comic s for me but Maybe I'm so pessimistic that I can't commit 100% hence why I can't buy the people who do good just for the sake of it especially when the stakes are so high and the innocent around them suffer by association.
    I think I can easily buy it if only because I think it's an essential part of Superheroes in general, a core part of who they are .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

Even if the heroes do the right I think it's necesary an event (not necessarily a tragedy or a bad thing) or as auto-imposed mission that act as a catalyst for the hero. That's the thing about Tim.

Pre-Tim has that, New-Tim not. DC must to fix that, in my view.