Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default DOOM PATROL appreciation thread!

DC Forum Appreciation Thread rules:

1) No negative comments about the honoree of this thread. It's an appreciation thread, not a non-appreciation one.

2) No negative discussion about any competitors of the honoree of this thread (i.e. John Stewart in the Hal Jordan thread). No ifs, ands, or buts. Find another non-appreciation thread to do that, just not here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

they are the World's Strangest Heroes! they are the Doom Patrol!

DC Nation shorts!

Robotman4 is that you? lol

When I think Doom Patrol, I think of one of my favorite covers from Morrison's run

Quote Originally Posted by The Flash View Post
    Robotman4 is that you? lol

When I think Doom Patrol, I think of one of my favorite covers from Morrison's run

yeah it's me! i was able to grab the name Robotman with any numbers behind it.

also one of my favorite covers! Grant's run is still my favorite comic of all time!

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    yeah it's me! i was able to grab the name Robotman with any numbers behind it.

also one of my favorite covers! Grant's run is still my favorite comic of all time!
    nice! yeah not sure if you remember me from the previous forum, I was batman23. But yeah I decided on a different name, since I was lucky enough to be one the first to re-register

It's definitely one of my favorite runs. How do you feel about the other Doom Patrol runs?

well you were able to get a great name!

i loved Giffen's run. he was able to mesh all of the previous version of the Doom Patrol and make it work. plus it had his usual dark comedy vibe.

of course the Drake/Premiani run is just classic. so different from what DC was producing at the time.

wasnt a big fan of the Kupperberg era dP. it wasnt a bad book per say but he turned them into a rather generic superhero team. i remember reading that Arnold Drake wasnt a fan of that run either. he actually loved what Grant Morrison did with the team by bringing back the "strangeness" to the World Strangest Heroes.
    we never saw the fates of Celsius and Tempest in Forever Evil. i think those characters have potential and would love to see them included in the New 52 Doom Patrol. as long as the classic line up is there too.
    Last edited by Robotman; 05-01-2014 at 09:29 PM.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Of the runs I have read I personally liked Giffen just a little better than Morrison. I love both along with Arcudi's run, but I think sometimes Morrison got a little too weird for his own good. Plus Giffen just had more humor which gave it the edge for me.

yeah the Arcudi run was good as well. it's often overlooked. i liked Robotman as the mentor for the new younger members.

Quote Originally Posted by thechief View Post
    At least we see the New52 version in Justice League, and it appears it's the original trio with maybe one more.
    Yeah from the July solits it looks like the original trio will be there when the new Doom Patrol shows up.

I love the idea of the new Power Ring in the Doom Patrol. I've always harbored a secret fondness for the Kupperberg version, as that was my first encounter at about 13.

BANNED

I always had a soft spot for the Doom Patrol.

Amazing Member

Morrison's run on Doom patrol is one of my absolute favorite examples of truly crazy insanity in comic book writing, and is just below SiP and The Invisibles as one of my all-time favorite comic book runs.

I've always loved the Doom Patrol.
    I was sad that the Byrne version didn't reach up to Fantastic Four greatness.
    And I was sad when the Giffen title ended.

The Doom Patrol and The X-Men were two sides of the same coin. Even having both of their titles languish and resort to reprints before being relaunched.
    But while The X-Men continued with their own book after the revamp, the Doom Patrol didn't catch back on and began to fade away.
    Until the New Teen Titans arrived and became DC's new counterpart to the X-Men, complete with a connection to the Doom Patrol through Changeling.

Unfortunately, with the Titans doing so well and no interest in the New Doom Patrol, they were left to guest star in various titles. Mostly Supergirl.

When a Doom Patrol series launched in the late '80s, it had the makings of a hit. The art was top-notch, the story was quite good and they began to tie up all the loose threads from all the history. But after Lightle stopped on art, the book took a drastic hit and it attempted to be a poor-man's X-Factor.

Morrison came along and brought back the craziness of the '60s series and updated it with a post-modern flair. Soon it was a cult favorite and a sleeper hit.

However, once Morrison left, the following writers attempted mostly to carry on the same style but couldn't hide that they were trying to write more like him than themselves.

When the John Byrne Doom Patrol launched, it should have been a hit. The same John Byrne who carried the Fantastic Four and several Superman titles for long stretches. The same one who had drawn promo pics of the Patrol for the Who's Who entries and for the covers to the Doom Patrol index.
    It should have worked.
    Alas, it did not, as Byrne's style had come too late. Most then-current readers labeled his style as old school, similar to how Chris Claremont had begun to be considered on X-Men.
    And before too long the book was axed.

I think the Doom Patrol could work in today's market. But... it would need to be a completely new Patrol with an entirely new motivation.
    Once that was established, they could slowly work in the elements of the old titles again.

The New52 would be the perfect place to launch a new Patrol such as this.
    But it would only last under Geoff Johns or Lemire.
    Otherwise, current readers may not even give it a chance.

Amazing Member

I could see some writer-artists like Francis Manapul or the team of Krul and Williams II that did Captain Atom. I'm getting a bit of a Doom Patrol vibe from vol 1 of Captain Atom...

Giffen's series was awesome fun. Great art, great character interactions... I was sad to see it go.