Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon23 View Post
    THe ending to Giffen's run was one of the funniest and most bizarre endings to a series I've ever read:

Best. Ending. Ever.

Only on Doom Patrol can you write an ending like this.

At least we see the New52 version in Justice League, and it appears it's the original trio with maybe one more.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

First read about the exploits of the original (a reprint from Super-Team Family) and second (the "new" Showcase) teams in 1976.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by thechief View Post
    At least we see the New52 version in Justice League, and it appears it's the original trio with maybe one more.
    Yeah from the July solits it looks like the original trio will be there when the new Doom Patrol shows up.

I love the idea of the new Power Ring in the Doom Patrol. I've always harbored a secret fondness for the Kupperberg version, as that was my first encounter at about 13.

BANNED

I always had a soft spot for the Doom Patrol.

Amazing Member

Morrison's run on Doom patrol is one of my absolute favorite examples of truly crazy insanity in comic book writing, and is just below SiP and The Invisibles as one of my all-time favorite comic book runs.

I've always loved the Doom Patrol.
    I was sad that the Byrne version didn't reach up to Fantastic Four greatness.
    And I was sad when the Giffen title ended.

The Doom Patrol and The X-Men were two sides of the same coin. Even having both of their titles languish and resort to reprints before being relaunched.
    But while The X-Men continued with their own book after the revamp, the Doom Patrol didn't catch back on and began to fade away.
    Until the New Teen Titans arrived and became DC's new counterpart to the X-Men, complete with a connection to the Doom Patrol through Changeling.

Unfortunately, with the Titans doing so well and no interest in the New Doom Patrol, they were left to guest star in various titles. Mostly Supergirl.

When a Doom Patrol series launched in the late '80s, it had the makings of a hit. The art was top-notch, the story was quite good and they began to tie up all the loose threads from all the history. But after Lightle stopped on art, the book took a drastic hit and it attempted to be a poor-man's X-Factor.

Morrison came along and brought back the craziness of the '60s series and updated it with a post-modern flair. Soon it was a cult favorite and a sleeper hit.

However, once Morrison left, the following writers attempted mostly to carry on the same style but couldn't hide that they were trying to write more like him than themselves.

When the John Byrne Doom Patrol launched, it should have been a hit. The same John Byrne who carried the Fantastic Four and several Superman titles for long stretches. The same one who had drawn promo pics of the Patrol for the Who's Who entries and for the covers to the Doom Patrol index.
    It should have worked.
    Alas, it did not, as Byrne's style had come too late. Most then-current readers labeled his style as old school, similar to how Chris Claremont had begun to be considered on X-Men.
    And before too long the book was axed.

I think the Doom Patrol could work in today's market. But... it would need to be a completely new Patrol with an entirely new motivation.
    Once that was established, they could slowly work in the elements of the old titles again.

The New52 would be the perfect place to launch a new Patrol such as this.
    But it would only last under Geoff Johns or Lemire.
    Otherwise, current readers may not even give it a chance.

Amazing Member

I could see some writer-artists like Francis Manapul or the team of Krul and Williams II that did Captain Atom. I'm getting a bit of a Doom Patrol vibe from vol 1 of Captain Atom...

Giffen's series was awesome fun. Great art, great character interactions... I was sad to see it go.

Astonishing Member

We know they are coming back to oppose Luthor's Justice League but we do not know how different they are going to be...

In other words, a group of 4 white people is not going to grab attention and their powers are not that freakish by today's standards.

• Arani Desai
    • Cliff Steele
    • Doctor Niles Caulder
    • Eddie Bloomberg
    • Garfield Logan
    • Joshua Clay
    • Karen Beecher
    • Kate / Clark Godwin
    • Larry Trainor
    • Malcolm Duncan
    • Mi-Sun Kwon
    • Rita Farr
    • Shyleen Lao
    • Steve Dayton
    • Valentina Vostok

Valentina, Joshua and Arani were already cannon-fodder for the Crime Syndicate. I would never have brought back Scorch or Karma.

I can't beging to imagine what they are going to do the Doom Patrol this time.

Actually we never found out the fates of Tempest and Celsius. I have a feeling they were just badly injured in their fight with the Syndicate. There's a chance they'll be a part of the new team. Beast Boy will be on the new Teen Titans line up so sadly he won't be coming back to the dP.
    Robotman, Negative Man, Elasti Girl, Celsius, Tempest, and The Chief would be a pretty great team!

Have you all heard about the Doom Patrol book that was pitched by Scott Lobdell? Not sure how I feel about Lobdell writing it, but I really liked the team

http://www.bleedingcool.com/forums/f...-kyriazis.html

Big fan. I really need to get some of the 60's issues...my association started with the Kupperberg run in 1986. While I've enjoyed just about every run they've had since then, nobody seems to have gotten the team "just right". Morrison came close, but sometimes veered into "I'm being weird for the sake of being weird" zone. Giffen's might have been the best I've read, actually. Even Byrne's run had it's appeal. Only run I didn't care much for was Pollack's, but that's taste for ya.

Who to do a reboot? China Meville might do a good job; he's got some Morrison esque touches. I think Jeff Parker might be a nice match, too.