Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Harpoon View Post
    Ohmigosh the promos for this series are setting my expectations so frakking high.
    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Jon View Post
    Ohmigosh the promos for this series are setting my expectations so frakking high.
    That cover has a strong Charles Burns vibe.
    I'm really digging it.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/07/20...ay-doom-patrol

For his new DC imprint Young Animal, ex-My Chemical Romance singer Gerard Way is readying four series, including Doom Patrol (out Sept. 14), which is inspired by Grant Morrison’s notably strange overhaul of the superhero-team title back in the ’90s.

“The thing about Grant’s run that really connected to me was, these characters in Doom Patrol, they’re all outsiders,” Way, who is writing the title himself, tells EW. “In a lot of ways, the comic dealt with mental illness and that really connected with me back then. I want to deal with therapy and all that stuff. I felt it was time to reintroduce that energy to the reading public. Doom Patrol is the kind of book where they can rescue an alien planet or they can go to a punk show.”

The rebooted Doom Patrol is also the kind of comic whose No. 1 issue can come complete with a sticker of a gyro sandwich on the cover. “It’s a direct nod to Andy Warhol and the Velvet Underground,” Way says. “Warhol is a huge influence on the way I approached this incarnation of Doom Patrol. Like, I thought Doom Patrol could be a big pop art project.”

Also due from Young Animal? Mother Panic, Cave Carson Has a Cybernetic Eye, and a fresh take on Steve Ditko’s Shade, the Changing Man called Shade, the Changing Girl (out October), written by Cecil Castellucci.

“Shade has a long history of being transformative and changing bodies,” Way says. “The character that’s in Shade the Changing Girl is related to Rac Shade. A lot of people think Shade is the first name of the character. Shade is the last name of the character. So, our character, Lola, is directly related in some way to Rac Shade. She’s somebody that is a free spirit and ends up finding this place on earth that she thinks is going to be a lot of fun. She ends up in the body of this teenage bully who is in a coma and realizes things are going to be a little more complicated that she thought.”

New art from SDCC! This also includes a profile page for Casey Brinke, AKA Space Case, from a Young Animal ashcan comic.

Plus variant covers by Sanford Greene, Jaime Hernandez, and Brian Bolland.

The Babs Tarr cover-

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

I'm digging pretty much all the variant covers. But if I had to pick one to accompany my standard cover, it'd be Greene's or Tarr's.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

Fantastic Member

I love the Doom Patrol! My first exposure to them was in a book about the silver age of comics, and I was shocked and astonished that the team was killed at the end. After that i read their entire Silver Age run and loved it!

My first exposure to the Doom Patrol was The DC Special Blue Ribbon Digest.
    I was hooked. Loved the stories and art.
    96181249642a647a749759164e05e981.jpg

DOOM PATROL #3
    Written by GERARD WAY
    Art and cover by NICK DERINGTON
    Variant cover by SIMON BISLEY
    Casey Brinke has stepped through to the other side—but where exactly is that? Given all the bizarre, unexplainable things that have come into her life over the last couple of days—robot men and talking ambulances and a guy who literally thrives on negative energy—surely this new and surprising world she has uncovered can’t be any weirder. Right?
    On sale NOVEMBER 9 • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • MATURE READERS

BANNED

Who the hell is that giRL and the non white dude? Those are NOT DOOM Patrol characters!
    Last edited by Falcon7; 08-20-2016 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon7 View Post
    Who the hell is that giRL and the non white dude? Those are NOT DOOM Patrol characters!
    I'm befuddled by the concept that any Doom Patrol fan can be frightened of new characters like you seem to be.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Harpoon View Post
    I'm befuddled by the concept that any Doom Patrol fan can be frightened of new characters like you seem to be.
    I think Falcon7 is being satirical

BANNED

I think I want to see my classic Doom Patrol characters and not some hipster crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon7 View Post
    I think I want to see my classic Doom Patrol characters and not some hipster crap.
    I'm sure we all would... but they won't sell.
    The last time Doom Patrol hit it big (well, the only time really...) was when they catered to the college crowd with Morrison. So I don't blame them for trying for the current generation of college kids.
    At least they got someone who is familiar with the mindset and that they (the college crowd) would recognize to do it so it wouldn't come off as a 'poser'.