Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Jon View Post
    Exactly! Couldn't agree with this more, and it's with this line of reasoning in mind that I came to the proven Aaron/Bachalo collaboration. Or Jeff Parker and anyone. From your suggestions Gillen & Spurrier stand out for me. Also, I'd be all for Alan Davis in collaboration with Alan Davis (his work on Excalibur and Clan Destine is all the resume I need from him to do a DP book), or Matt Fraction.
    Fraction definitely had it in him to do a very good Doom Patrol run, but the time for that has passed; he seems done with Big 2 stuff, and if he does do something at DC, it will be something that allows the requisite publicity and lets him say something important to him (I think he'd do a very nice Wonder Woman, for instance).

For me, the number one choice is without a doubt Mieville, though. If you've read his Dial H, you know that he channeled the creativity and erudition of Morrison's dP effortlessly, without in any way aping it.

Oh! Almost forgot John Rozum; his work on Xombi had a very similar vibe to Morrison's dP as well. He's never been much of a character writer, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Deniz Camp View Post
    Fraction definitely had it in him to do a very good Doom Patrol run, but the time for that has passed; he seems done with Big 2 stuff, and if he does do something at DC, it will be something that allows the requisite publicity and lets him say something important to him (I think he'd do a very nice Wonder Woman, for instance).

For me, the number one choice is without a doubt Mieville, though. If you've read his Dial H, you know that he channeled the creativity and erudition of Morrison's dP effortlessly, without in any way aping it.

Oh! Almost forgot John Rozum; his work on Xombi had a very similar vibe to Morrison's dP as well. He's never been much of a character writer, though.
    What I'm hearing here is that I need to read Dial H. I would really love a Fraction Doom Patrol so much though. I mean his Defenders and FF runs absolutely could have been Doom Patrol stories.
    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

Quote Originally Posted by Deniz Camp View Post

i forgot about that book. it definitely had a Doom Patrol vibe. i need to go back and reread that series.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Jon View Post
    What I'm hearing here is that I need to read Dial H. I would really love a Fraction Doom Patrol so much though. I mean his Defenders and FF runs absolutely could have been Doom Patrol stories.
    I cannot recommend Dial H enough. It was, for me, the best DC series since...I don't know, since Morrison's Batman run. In some ways, better. Issue 13 is one of the finest single issues I've ever read.

If you're interested, I've written about it HERE, HERE and HERE

And yeah, a Fraction Doom Patrol run in which he really went off would have been great. That particular ship has sailed, but it would have been great.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    i forgot about that book. it definitely had a Doom Patrol vibe. i need to go back and reread that series.
    The original series was great, the DC proper mini series was even better thanks to the brilliant work of Frazer Irving.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/11/...mical-romance/

I think his music is terrible but he may be able to generate some buzz for the Doom Patrol. Plus Becky Cloonan on art would be great.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/11/...mical-romance/

I think his music is terrible but he may be able to generate some buzz for the Doom Patrol. Plus Becky Cloonan on art would be great.
    Yeah, I don't see how DC could possibly turn that down.
    Oh, wait... let me think about that statement...
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Fantastic Member DeathFalcon182's Avatar

Wow I did not know I wanted this.

Fantastic Member

Yeah I agree with bleeding turn it into a earth 1 book if he doesn't have the time

BANNED

Ugh! I love the Doom Patrol so much. He pitches a book with a great artist, DC approves and now he doesn't have time. He should have made sure his schedule was free beforehand. An Earth One book would be cool, but I always forget they exist until the next volume is announced. They don't come out very often.

Marvel has the x-men and also working hard on the Inhumans. Not sure what is taking dc so long on rebooting the Doom Patrol. Rita Farr can be like Ginormica. Larry Trainor can have radiation powers like Radiation Roy. The Doom Patrol has lots of good code names like Changeling, Mento, Celsius (maybe a heat power), Tempest (like Storm maybe), Lodestone, Karma (like Devlin O'Ryan Reflex maybe), etc.
    Last edited by colonyofcells; 11-14-2015 at 05:03 PM.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

I hope they can get this preposed Doom Patrol book off the ground eventually, sounds like it would be a fun read.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Quote Originally Posted by colonyofcells View Post
    Marvel has the x-men and also working hard on the Inhumans. Not sure what is taking dc so long on rebooting the Doom Patrol. Rita Farr can be like Ginormica. Larry Trainor can have radiation powers like Radiation Roy. The Doom Patrol has lots of good code names like Changeling, Mento, Celsius (maybe a heat power), Tempest (like Storm maybe), Lodestone, Karma (like Devlin O'Ryan Reflex maybe), etc.
    I loved Geoff Johns recent take on the Doom Patrol in Justice League. They had the classic vibe mixed with Morrison and Case's designs. I would add Crazy Jane to the lineup. Though I get tired of The Chief being evil. I was hoping that he'd become more altruistic once he becomes a paraplegic. He sees what it's like to be differently abled and treats the dP members better.
    Though I'm sure Way has his own ideas of what the team should be like. If his book ever happens I hope he doesn't stray too far from the classic concept.

BANNED

I loved Geoff Johns recent take on the Doom Patrol in Justice League. They had the classic vibe mixed with Morrison and Case's designs. I would add Crazy Jane to the lineup. Though I get tired of The Chief being evil. I was hoping that he'd become more altruistic once he becomes a paraplegic. He sees what it's like to be differently abled and treats the dP members better.
    Though I'm sure Way has his own ideas of what the team should be like. If his book ever happens I hope he doesn't stray too far from the classic concept.

The New 52 version of Chief didn't come off as an evil dude to me. He seemed like a man with good intentions, but the way he goes about it is questionable.

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

Haven't read DP since Grant Morrison's run. Dorothy Spinner and the Candlemaker. The Men from N.O.W.H.E.R.E.. The Scissormen. Mr. MojoRisin' was out there.