Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 192526272829
    Incredible Member

Damn. They obviously had scheduling problems, but it was a well done book.

I liked the series, but did not care for the last issue of "Doom Patrol" not actually featuring the Doom Patrol.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by bearman View Post
    Hey, is the current Doom Patrol run finished?.
    No, returning in 2019.

The impression that I got was "While the title is not "Done", don't hold your breath while you wait for it to be back on the shelves."

i like Way on Doom Patrol. It's a great fit. But his inability to keep up with the schedule is a real problem.

Incredible Member

Absolutely shambolic. Somehow managed to fit in a tour, designing batman statues, books for marvel, and umbrella academy but couldnt even get an issue of doom patrol on average every two months let alone monthly. He managed to miss his own imprint's crossover by about 4 months.

He had lots of ideas, book was always a long full read, art was great but the whole thing fell apart at a rate of knots. It was a total hassle to even buy the book the number of times each issue was resolicited.

Quote Originally Posted by Naked Bat View Post
    i like Way on Doom Patrol. It's a great fit. But his inability to keep up with the schedule is a real problem.
    To me, the issue was kicking the imprint of as a monthly ongoing proposition.

Seems like releasing six or twelve issue "Seasons" on a monthly schedule might have worked better. It being the centerpiece of a monthly publishing run just face planted.

He can't be the only one capable of writing a "Doom Patrol" book. With their tv show coming out, they should have a book on the shelves.

And at this point, I am okay with the warmed over Morrison retreads. I'm a bit tired of the DP being relegated to their own "weird universe." At this point I'd like to see them more firmly back in the regular DCU ("Milk Wars" was more the opposite with the JLA taking a detour into the weirdness)

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    To me, the issue was kicking the imprint of as a monthly ongoing proposition.

Seems like releasing six or twelve issue "Seasons" on a monthly schedule might have worked better. It being the centerpiece of a monthly publishing run just face planted.
    True, it could be interesting to try that format, going forward, if Way wants to stay on the title. Which I hope he does, since he's a great writer.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    He can't be the only one capable of writing a "Doom Patrol" book. With their tv show coming out, they should have a book on the shelves.

And at this point, I am okay with the warmed over Morrison retreads. I'm a bit tired of the DP being relegated to their own "weird universe." At this point I'd like to see them more firmly back in the regular DCU ("Milk Wars" was more the opposite with the JLA taking a detour into the weirdness)
    I don't know about that. AFAIC, I've always prefered when the Doom Patrol is less a team of super-heroes and more a group of outsiders who encounters weird threats. I mean, Arcudi and Giffen's run were interesting and enjoyable, but I prefer what Morrison, Way and Even Pollack did. They gave the team its own identity, wether when they really are part of the larger DCU, they are just another team of heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Naked Bat View Post
    I don't know about that. AFAIC, I've always prefered when the Doom Patrol is less a team of super-heroes and more a group of outsiders who encounters weird threats. I mean, Arcudi and Giffen's run were interesting and enjoyable, but I prefer what Morrison, Way and Even Pollack did. They gave the team its own identity, wether when they really are part of the larger DCU, they are just another team of heroes.
    What I'd like to see isn't them acting like any other team, but showing them as outsiders within a more standard DCU setting. It's the contrast that makes them stand out. As with happened on Pollock's run with me, and is beginning to happen to me with Way's run, is that the DP didn't even seem like "outsiders" anymore when everything is weird or even weirder than them. But that's me. I wouldn't mind the occasional off-the-wall interpretation, but only when someone really has a good, original idea. Way's stuff was becoming a bit derivative to me.

To tell you the truth, I would have zero problem with a "Classic Coke" mainstream DCU title and a "Young Animals" title. That's obviously not exactly realistic, but now seems like it is the time if DC was ever going to try it.

What I'd like to see isn't them acting like any other team, but showing them as outsiders within a more standard DCU setting. It's the contrast that makes them stand out. As with happened on Pollock's run with me, and is beginning to happen to me with Way's run, is that the DP didn't even seem like "outsiders" anymore when everything is weird or even weirder than them. But that's me. I wouldn't mind the occasional off-the-wall interpretation, but only when someone really has a good, original idea. Way's stuff was becoming a bit derivative to me.
    I understand. I do think having them being basically the team that explores the weirder corners of the DCU, because they basically don't fit in the less weird corners make them standout though.