Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Default Why are all these flat earth theory people coming out of the woodwork?

Crazy isn't it.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

More exposition would help. Do you have examples?
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

I only heard of one nutty basketball player. Who are "all these"?

I don't know about flat earth. But there are some Creationist and Climate Change denialist on these boards.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 03-19-2017 at 10:02 AM.

Has-been rapper B.O.B. was talking about it last year. Then I think Tila Tequila said she believes but she has done a lot of crazy crap. Now Shaquille O'Neal has reportedly said he agrees it is flat to go with Kyrie Irving, a basketball player I had never heard of until I heard he was a flat-earther. I guess they like their basketballs spherical and their earth flat.

I have visited some flat-earth believer message boards recently because the uptick in public attention increased my curiousity. Hoo-boy. Conspiracy theories galore, way beyond just flat earth.
    My mom thinks I'm cool.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I suspect these nuts were hiding under rocks with their dumbass theories until Donald Trump made poorly educated people fashionable. Now they're out in force with their science and fact proof craziness.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

BANNED

But if the Earth is flat, then why are chemtrails bent?

To make us believe that Earth is not flat, I guess.

Layers within layers, man...
    My mom thinks I'm cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
    Layers within layers, man...
    So, what's the story? I can't believe that people SERIOUSLY, without a trace of irony, believe the Earth is flat in this modern era. People have sailed ships and flown airplanes all over the world. If the Earth were flat, eventually, they'd reach an edge. Some point where they either fall off or hit a wall or something. And we know that's not true.

People didn't even widely believe the Earth was flat in Columbus' day, contrary to popular belief. The Greeks figured out the world was round centuries before then. Honestly, the very idea that generations of people have been involved in a 1000-year old conspiracy to keep secret the Earth's true shape is so ridiculous that I find it hard to believe that there are people (including famous people) who take it seriously.

Strange theories come from all sort of places.

There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I have no idea. At least some of the people I have seen appear to be fairly strict biblical literalist-creationists. I don't know if the Bible cares at all if the earth were round or flat, but that is some of it.

Otherwise, I guess it is just that mindset that the unknown cabal of "THEY" are secretly running everything and the flat-earth truther is a "free thinker" who isn't fooled and has some special truth/knowledge that the rest of us are too blind or trusting to see. I guess a "round earth" is just part of the whole mind-control thing. Yeah most of these conspiracy theories don't seem to hold up too well to scrutiny,
    My mom thinks I'm cool.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lang View Post
    So, what's the story? I can't believe that people SERIOUSLY, without a trace of irony, believe the Earth is flat in this modern era. People have sailed ships and flown airplanes all over the world. If the Earth were flat, eventually, they'd reach an edge. Some point where they either fall off or hit a wall or something. And we know that's not true.

People didn't even widely believe the Earth was flat in Columbus' day, contrary to popular belief. The Greeks figured out the world was round centuries before then. Honestly, the very idea that generations of people have been involved in a 1000-year old conspiracy to keep secret the Earth's true shape is so ridiculous that I find it hard to believe that there are people (including famous people) who take it seriously.
    Yeah, I have to think the number who actually believe this stupidity is very, very small.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Strange theories come from all sort of places.

As a geologist, that video is an insult to logic and reason.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Yeah, I have to think the number who actually believe this stupidity is very, very small.
    Back in the 1970s when I was in college, the Flat Earth Society had a fair number of members but most of them were just people in it on a lark. It was just sort of a big joke. Of course, there was a core membership that really believed it. But it wasn't remotely comparable to Creationism or, nowadays, Climate Change denial.
    Power with Girl is better.