Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default Why/when did you first get into comics?

I'm curious of others' experience. For example, my fandom started in a very unorthodox place when I was 16 (currently in my early 20's). Please don't laugh at me, but I first got into comics after the 2011 Green Lantern movie. Let that sink in for a moment... I understand it was a horrible movie, but I just loved the concept. Space cops, constructs, aliens, sectors, etc. I Googled Hal Jordan out of curiosity and within the month I was reading Blackest Night and just had to read the rest of Geoff Johns' run. That led to me reading Justice League which led to be reading Batman and somehow All Star Western got thrown in there too. I say all this to say, even though a lot of people wish that movie hadn't been made, I'm glad it was because it was the first domino. Anyway, that's my story and I wonder if anyone else had any strange or unorthodox experiences that got them into the fun that is comic books.
    Last edited by HJSSAE; 03-20-2017 at 02:05 AM.

Astonishing Member

I first started reading Ultimate Spider-Man through the trades back in 2008, getting them out from the library. For a while I continued like this before dropping off around 2010/2011. The local libraries charged to reserve titles, and that didn't help with reading ongoing series.

I first started collecting floppies with Titan's Doctor Who Ninth Doctor Weapons of Past Destruction mini-series in 2015. An event held by a group I'm part of partly took place at what is now one of my LCSs, and I saw it and decided to give it a go.

I got into Green Lantern through the trades, about September 2015 iirc. I saw the Revenge of Black Hand volume at the library and got curious. I soon started reading other Lantern titles like New Guardians through the trades. I started getting the Green Lantern floppies, and through that came Omega Men.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Congrats on reading All Star Western. That was a ride. Sorry, loved All Star Western, though. It was similar for me, replace Green Lantern with Daredevil The Movie when I was around 20. After DD I read everything Frank Miller, Brian M. Bendis, Kevin Smith and then went after all the Batman and Punisher stuff I could get my grubby hands on. As a kid I just loved the odd Batman issue and Michael Keaton but never got into the whole comics thing too much.
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 03-20-2017 at 03:00 AM.

Extraordinary Member

2012. I had no real hobbies and was wasting the pocket money I would get. Therefore, I went onto a hobby website and saw comics. So I tried a few, found CBR and was hooked!

During my time we all knew of batman and superman, but I remember getting a bundle of comics from JC Penny. It had had Cap, Hulk and others but this funny guy trying to get through life AND live up to this idea of greater responsibility really caught me. It became official when he was protecting the Black Cat from Dr Doom. Oh and I loved the letters in FF Spidey and Hulk

BANNED

My big brother read "The Brave and the Bold" comics to me before I could read, back in the mid 70s.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I started reading comic books way back in the early to mid 1970's, back in the days when comics were sold on corner newsstands and dedicated shops were nothing more than a pipe dream. I started with Marvel where I fell in love with Iron Man, then came DC where I thought Green Lantern was awesome, finally Archie Comics, leading to a serious case of the hots for Betty Cooper. All three of those passions exist today.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

I don't know, since I was a little kid, with 5 or 6 years, I can't say with exactitude. Early 90's.

Since I have memory my parents always bought me comics of Mortadelo, Asterix, Tintin. Until this day I still have the collections of Asterix and Tintin, they have accompanied me all my life. Later I also used to rob them their comics of Metal Hurlant, Totem, Cimoc, etc. without them not knowing about that, because they punished me or I got spanked in the ass.

It was worth it, no regrets.
    Last edited by Orujo-man; 03-20-2017 at 05:49 AM.

I dont remember very well why i started reading comics, but my first comic was Cable and Deadpool.
    Last edited by mojotastic; 03-20-2017 at 07:47 AM.

Read books sporadically through the 60s, Conan #1, 1970, made me a ardent reader and collector.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

I was turned on to the medium in the very late 1970's. My Dad took me to see the original Christopher Reeve Superman movie at that time and a life-long love affair with both the character and DC Comics developed.

Every week my Dad would get home from work with a different DC comic for me. He had no clue about the difference between DC and Marvel, he just must have associated the DC logo as something that I'd enjoy. This was my introduction to all the DC staples - Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash (Barry Allen), Green Lantern (Hal Jordan) and the Corps, Hawkman, the Legion of Super-Heroes etc. The universe was so deep and rich to the very young me and has remained so ever since.

Of course as I got a bit older I started reading Marvel also. I loved Spider-Man, Thor, Iron Man, the X-Men etc throughout my teens and well into the 1990's. For some reason they never stuck and DC won me over in the end. I love the MCU though.

Astonishing Member

I was about 5, and I learned how to read from comics books. That was commonplace, back when comics were sold at most drug stores, groceries, etc., and lots of them were aimed at young kids.

That depends. What counts? As far as I recall, I've always stolen the comics section from my dad's Sunday newspaper so that's probably kindergarten or early grade school. They had Spider-man comic strips along with Peanuts, Calvin and Hobbes, etc.

I bought Archie digests during school book fairs and read Tintin, Groo and Asterix in the grade school library during recess and lunch time. Got started reading manga during high school (thanks to unauthorized scanlations) and my love for manga lasts to this day. PhD Comics (Piled Higher and Deeper) was pretty obligatory reading during college. Dilbert, too.

Now my first superhero floppy purchase, that was just September 2016 (Black Widow Skottie Young Baby Variant) and not counting the Spider-man newspaper strips, I only started reading superhero comics via Marvel Unlimited around May/June 2016.

That said, I probably wouldn't have started collecting floppies and American GNs if not for a relatively recent promotion and resulting increase in disposable income as well as having completed or being up to date on several long running manga series. Superhero comics are expensive.
    Last edited by rui no onna; 03-20-2017 at 12:21 PM.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

It was 1994, I was 8. My grandma knew how much I always loved superhero cartoons, especially the old Superman cartoons. She bought me a copy of Man of Steel #0 and Superboy #9.

I got a ridiculously huge box of somebodies comics when I was a kid during a family visit. It distinctly remembering that the price of the comics were mostly .15 & .20 cents. Crazy stuff like Spiderman #80 & KAMANDI, FF #99 & lots of black & white Vampirellas & Eerie & horror books. The family was so glad that I accepted the box that I got several more boxes through the years during summer visits. It wasn't until many years later that I realized I had hit the mother-lode.

About 15+yrs later I got a phone call from the son asking me if I still had "his" comics. Nope. "His" comics are long gone.