Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    There goes my hope that I could get New 52 Superman sometime done the river of Time. Oh well, I still have Aquaman and the Batman line, Superman's Line can return to its more classical dull and boring tone, I guess.
    Super Sons and Superman and New Superman are not classical and dull and boring. Nupetman has been assimilated with Superdad. That's good enough, unless you define Superman by who he sleeps with and a collar then nothing has changed.

You're right. Nothing has changed. From rebirth that is : stories will become ever more boring, the origin of the character more convoluted, and more importantly, his character will remain one which doesn't entice me to him. There remains next to nothing of New 52 Superman, neither his origin (which made him a different take on Superman, one I loved) nor his adventures, not his relationship with Wonder Woman (which, yes, was an important part of them. But I know this is a fact fundamentally lost to the Clois who are totally blind to their own hypocrisy. Their Superman is basically defined by the fact that he sleep with Lois Lane, and that's all).

I've hated the idea of a merger since it was first theorized, I naturally hate it in practice and I sure as hell hope it won't be replicated at the end of Rebirth. I would hate to have to drop any and all D.C. comics but it would be what I'll do if my favourite characters where retroactively retconned out of existence, their actions rendered meaningless like it just happened to New 52 Superman and happened earlier to New 52 Wonder Woman.

Superson is a lot of fun. That I won't read any more, because I do not support the direction D.C. is going with the Superline, and just like I want Wonder Woman's current rot of a storyline out of any other material, I do not want the Batmanverse sullied by the Superman Reborn bs. As for New Super Man, it is the only thing truly new and interesting in the Superline, and it is currently still running on the New 52's vibe, which is why it is a great series, which will probably be derailed because D.C. will have to sort out the mess they have made with Superman Reborn, when it comes to Kenan's origin. So I'll still support New Super-Man for the time being, but it may not last, depending on how heavily the "main" Superman weigh on the story. The less the better.

Resident of Central City RedWhiteAndBlueSupes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Exactly, emphasis on the "continuing." All people want is to have the books/characters they're reading currently to be a reflection of the developments and contributions to the mythology that decades' worth of writers have built. That's especially true when it comes to the big, character-defining arcs, like the Death of Superman, Knightfall, and the Coming of Galactus.

So, of course people get irked when you upend a characters' entire world and erase not only stories, but entire characters and their relationships to each other from the mythology. That's what went down with New 52 and I'm glad to see them reversing it in at least some capacity. I think Superman Reborn is pretty much the test run for what's going to be the case across the DCU come the end of Rebirth.
    pretty much. Meh, if this is the test run I'll probably be taking a backseat to DC for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    And keep in mind that we still have 24 more issues until #1000.
    This could just be a stepping stone towards something entirely different.
    yeah although that seems kinda unlikely on it's face, the more I think about it the more it could be. There is no way that DC will miss the opportunity to do something big with action 1000, whatever huge mega event they surely have planned is bound to culminate around then, and if this is the end for Superman, it's going to be a pretty lame run overall.

I"m kinda souring on Jon honestly, if Mr. oz. turns out to be a time displaced Jon who turns evil and blows up the universe in action 1000, I'd be fine with it.

And the whole "Unstable Jon" thing that is still going on is kinda intriguing, if Jon turns out to be some weird time anomaly who must be sacrificed to restore balance to the DCU timeline that would be great.
    Phantom rough on roughnecks- Old Jungle Saying

Extraordinary Member

You're right. Nothing has changed. From rebirth that is : stories will become ever more boring, the origin of the character more convoluted, and more importantly, his character will remain one which doesn't entice me to him.
    Boring? It's more critically acclaimed than it has been ever since 2011.

There remains next to nothing of New 52 Superman
    Ask me, that's a good thing.

Their Superman is basically defined by the fact that he sleep with Lois Lane, and that's all.
    Just wondering. How much of Superman did you actually bother to read before 2011?

I've hated the idea of a merger since it was first theorized, I naturally hate it in practice and I sure as hell hope it won't be replicated at the end of Rebirth. I would hate to have to drop any and all D.C. comics but it would be what I'll do if my favourite characters where retroactively retconned out of existence, their actions rendered meaningless like it just happened to New 52 Superman and happened earlier to New 52 Wonder Woman.

Superson is a lot of fun. That I won't read any more, because I do not support the direction D.C. is going with the Superline, and just like I want Wonder Woman's current rot of a storyline out of any other material, I do not want the Batmanverse sullied by the Superman Reborn bs.
    You do realize that almost all of the mythology that makes Batman the character he is is built on the Pre-Flashpoint/Post-Crisis continuity, don't you?

BANNED

You're right. Nothing has changed. From rebirth that is : stories will become ever more boring, the origin of the character more convoluted, and more importantly, his character will remain one which doesn't entice me to him. There remains next to nothing of New 52 Superman, neither his origin (which made him a different take on Superman, one I loved) nor his adventures, not his relationship with Wonder Woman (which, yes, was an important part of them. But I know this is a fact fundamentally lost to the Clois who are totally blind to their own hypocrisy. Their Superman is basically defined by the fact that he sleep with Lois Lane, and that's all).

Superson is a lot of fun. That I won't read any more, because I do not support the direction D.C. is going with the Superline, and just like I want Wonder Woman's current rot of a storyline out of any other material, I do not want the Batmanverse sullied by the Superman Reborn bs. As for New Super Man, it is the only thing truly new and interesting in the Superline, and it is currently still running on the New 52's vibe, which is why it is a great series, which will probably be derailed because D.C. will have to sort out the mess they have made with Superman Reborn, when it comes to Kenan's origin. So I'll still support New Super-Man for the time being, but it may not last, depending on how heavily the "main" Superman weigh on the story. The less the better.
    Atleast stories wont be unreadable like they were during the New 52.
    There is no change in character, origin stories always keep the basics of the character. Wonder Woman is important in no manner to Superman and never will be period.
    All characters in DC are merged Superman was the only exception and now they've rectified that. All the Bat characters retain their lives from Pre Flashpoint, that's what they should've kept with Superman and now they've done so, there's no difference.

Lol New 52 vibe, did you read Superboy and Doomed? That was New 52 vibe, New Suoerman is part and parcel of Rebirth, just like Batbooks and Super Sons. You're free to read whatever you want but your excuses just make you come across as a hypocrite.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by RedWhiteAndBlueSupes View Post
    pretty much. Meh, if this is the test run I'll probably be taking a backseat to DC for awhile.
    Going by the image, there really isn't much there that doesn't come from Pre-Flashpoint continuity. I mean, this LOOKS like a recanonization of everything from Pre-Flashpoint that happened in the Superman comics. Anything that they want to work in from the New 52 will be retooled to have happened to Pre-FP Superman and stuff I think that is just inconsistent with that will probably just be forgotten. Or who knows? We might actually get that "Ultimate Superman" after all. Though, I still can't say for sure yet. We'll have to wait and see.

As for the test run, Rebirth isn't over yet. We still have to see where it all goes. But if it really does restore Pre-Flashpoint history to the characters that lost it, isn't that a good thing?
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 03-21-2017 at 01:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by darkseidpwns View Post
    There is no change in character, origin stories always keep the basics of the character. Wonder Woman is important in no manner to Superman and never will be period.
    All characters in DC are merged Superman was the only exception and now they've rectified that. All the Bat characters retain their lives from Pre Flashpoint, that's what they should've kept with Superman and now they've done so, there's no difference.

Lol New 52 vibe, did you read Superboy and Doomed? That was New 52 vibe, New Suoerman is part and parcel of Rebirth, just like Batbooks and Super Sons. You're free to read whatever you want but your excuses just make you come across as a hypocrite.
    No, it makes me someone with different tastes than you. And you know what ? I liked Superman Doomed, Truth and Savage Dawn. The three of them where leagues better than, say, All-Star Superman, which is incredibly devoid of anything remotely interesting in my eyes. You also compare Batman to Superman, but you are ignoring Zero Year and how it redefined Batman's beginning and ignoring that contrary to Superman's, Batman characterization and origin was and will always remains stronger and a lot more interesting, hence not requiring changes to actually shape a great character.

Again, it is all my tastes, but the current Superman is growing more boring and distasteful for me, to the point of being near unreadable, like most of Pre-Flashpoint Superman I forced myself to read (because it was struggle, because almost anything else would have been a better use of my time, but I truly wanted to try and see what fanatics of this era found so great in the characterization of Superman at that time. I saw nothing).
    Last edited by Korath; 03-21-2017 at 01:16 AM.

Extraordinary Member

-ignoring Zero Year and how it redefined Batman's beginning
    And MAY actually be on its way out. Again, its totally up in the air, but if it is retconned away and Year One is re-established as the canon origin (as King's Batman may be hinting at), it would probably be the best thing DC could ever do for Batman.

BANNED

No, it makes me someone with different tastes than you. And you know what ? I liked Superman Doomed, Truth and Savage Dawn; The thre of them where leagues better than, say, All-Star Superman, which is incredibly devoid of anything remotely interesting in my eyes. You also compare Batman to Superman, but you are :

-ignoring Zero Year and how it redefined Batman's beginning
    -ignoring that contrary to Superman's, Batman characterization and origin was and will always remains stronger and a lot more interesting, hence not requiring changes to actually shape a great character
    Reads first para
    Vomits
    Adios. You really do have a special taste.
    Tom King just used Year One and Vengeance of Bane, you know Pre Flashpoint stories. Those are the defacto origin stories for Batman, Catwoman and Bane. Pretty clear to me.

Reads first para
    Vomits
    Tom King just used Year One and Vengeance of Bane, you know Pre Flashpoint stories. Those are the defacto origin stories for Batman, Catwoman and Bane. Pretty clear to me.
    And I hope it'll remain as it is now ; nods to this era, but that Zero Year will remains the current Batman's origin. Because it is a lot more in tune with our epoch than Yean One, which while great is becoming all the more dated as time passes. I'm rather young, I haven't grown in the world of Year One, but the one of Zero Year, I basically have to open the TV to have a taste of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Going by the image, there really isn't much there that doesn't come from Pre-Flashpoint continuity. I mean, this LOOKS like a recanonization of everything from Pre-Flashpoint that happened in the Superman comics. Anything that they want to work in from the New 52 will be retooled to have happened to Pre-FP Superman and stuff I think that is just inconsistent with that will probably just be forgotten. Or who knows? We might actually get that "Ultimate Superman" after all. Though, I still can't say for sure yet. We'll have to wait and see.

As for the test run, Rebirth isn't over yet. We still have to see where it all goes. But if it really does restore Pre-Flashpoint history to the characters that lost it, isn't that a good thing?
    Well so far it has a funny way of going about doing that. So far they really haven't brought back anything that couldn't have been brought back much more simply another way. But I agree there is surely much more to come, and there is no way this is the culmination of Rebirth, so hopefully it will get much better, who knows.

And i don't mean to sound like a negative Nelly here, but so far anyway, the whole Rebirth event has been a pretty big letdown. Considering the post zero hour era brought back alot of pre crisis/earlier continuity much more smoothly than rebirth has that's not saying much for this event so far.

BANNED

Ugly bone monsters are more relevant to our epoch than corruption? you got me there man.

Reads first para
    Vomits
    Zero Year sucked from the get go, there's things in there that contradict the larger bat family, too many contradictions to keep it canon, I was under the impression with the Year One references in Rebirth that it was already non canon.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RedWhiteAndBlueSupes View Post
    Zero Year sucked from the get go, there's things in there that contradict the larger bat family, too many contradictions to keep it canon, I was under the impression with the Year One references in Rebirth that it was already non canon.
    I actually like ZY but there's no way in hell its standing after Snyder leaves. They'll push YO in to canon again, ZY will be become the Riddler YO at best.

I hope your right about this.