Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by Tuxedo Elf View Post
    I'm well aware I'm in the minority, I'm just surprised that so many people want to go backwards not forwards. And I don't have to like watching my favourite characters lose years of development.
    I don't think Kyle being a GL again is going to effect his character development or what he went through as Ion or the White Lantern, at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think Kyle being a GL again is going to effect his character development or what he went through as Ion or the White Lantern, at any rate.
    I hope not. But honestly we might as well rename him the YoYo Lantern, given how often his power levels change. I also hope they show him struggling with a reduced power set, but I have a suspicion it'll never be mentioned again.

I hope not. But honestly we might as well rename him the YoYo Lantern, given how often his power levels change. I also hope they show him struggling with a reduced power set, but I have a suspicion it'll never be mentioned again.
    Only in passing. How many times has Ion been mentioned?
    Save Ferris...

I'm well aware I'm in the minority, I'm just surprised that so many people want to go backwards not forwards. And I don't have to like watching my favourite characters lose years of development.
    getting an old powerset doesn't mean he's losing development. It means that their current powers are dumb and/or disliked and a return to basics is needed, see Electric Superman. He's still the same Kyle but with more palatable powers

I think Kyle would probably be the Lantern who'd adjust the best to a reduced power set, since it still offers him the chance to be "creative," and he can still make constructs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunday View Post
    getting an old powerset doesn't mean he's losing development. It means that their current powers are dumb and/or disliked and a return to basics is needed, see Electric Superman. He's still the same Kyle but with more palatable powers
    Okay so, clearly we are not going to agree, but don't you feel it would have been less jarring to give him a new look, not an old one?

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Maybe if used correctly White Lantern Kyle was a worthy idea, but instead he became Bat-God on steroids. Someone dead, find the White Lantern, need new blue rings, find the White Lantern, Carol lonely on Earth, find the White Lantern (ok, the last one was just dumb). Making Kyle A God and lazy plot saver isn't interesting to me

Incredible Member

Okay so, clearly we are not going to agree, but don't you feel it would have been less jarring to give him a new look, not an old one?
    If it were up to me, then Kyle would have kept the costume he had BEFORE the whole White Lantern stuff, but seeing as how Rebirth is trying to bring back the classic look, it makes more sense for Kyle to go to his iconic costume, rather than YET another look. And I think the color scheme of his original costume, where black dominates, makes him stand out over other GLs.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

I honestly don't think being a White Lantern should of been permanent anyway. If it was a character like Black Hand who rarely appears than sure.

Does anyone think that original uniform just looks dated now?
    In my opinion, hell no. I always loved that costume.

Astonishing Member

Van Sciver has just tweeted that it 'wasn't a stunt' and that Rebirth is about returning the characters to their best version. Personally I felt Kyle as White Lantern WAS his best version.
    Kyle's the only Green Lantern, lives on Earth and is on the Justice League with Wally? Cool!

Oh. He's just lost a bunch of abilities and changed his costume. Best version. Yay. -_-

Astonishing Member

Yeah Sciver's always a nut but saying best version is being extraordinarily idiotic given how everything in comics is ridiculously objective.

Astonishing Member

And I'm really disliking the idea that Doctor Manhattan "stopped" the ressurection like that.

Aside from the fact I'm not sure he really COULD, this was way closer to magic than any scientific process. It also largely contradicts that Dr M was supposedly only influencing reality subtly when reality would shift ala Flashpoint and so forth (which was how it was set up all the way back in the Rebirth special). This makes it seem like he has an extremely active hah Watch on Earth and is ACTIVELY altering Earth for shits and giggles rather than possibly having a cold experimental analysis like some think he might be. If he was active as this issue seems to imply he would be intervening in way more cases already in the Rebirth stories.

Quote Originally Posted by PyroTwilight View Post
    And I'm really disliking the idea that Doctor Manhattan "stopped" the ressurection like that.

Aside from the fact I'm not sure he really COULD, this was way closer to magic than any scientific process. It also largely contradicts that Dr M was supposedly only influencing reality subtly when reality would shift ala Flashpoint and so forth (which was how it was set up all the way back in the Rebirth special). This makes it seem like he has an extremely active hah Watch on Earth and is ACTIVELY altering Earth for shits and giggles rather than possibly having a cold experimental analysis like some think he might be. If he was active as this issue seems to imply he would be intervening in way more cases already in the Rebirth stories.
    Well, if Manhattan has deliberately tried to remove "hope" from the DCU, he might have precautions in place to make it difficult to fully bring it back as hugely as reviving the Blue Lantern Corps.

I think it's still ambiguous just how much of an effect or direct control over the DCU Manhattan has had. He seems to be the one who directly split the Supermen, which wasn't very subtle or small on his part, and he killed Pandora when he felt he needed to.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

I love Guy Gardner and i love Kyle Rayner, and this is my arc.
    The warrior shirt and all the Arkillo relationship was perfect.
    Kyle in the original outfit is simply gorgeous.
    I'm happy!