Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    All new xmen had 4 characters and extraordinary xmen had the other one with a popular cast. Bendis had that book drive the stories of the franchise and everything centred around it. With multiple crossovers created because Bendis has that ability to do that.

The book sold because Bendis elevated its importance. It had nothing to do with cast
    Well, all new x-men was selling more than uncanny x men when both book were written by bendis...

Quote Originally Posted by jorge17881 View Post
    Well, all new x-men was selling more than uncanny x men when both book were written by bendis...
    Not by much more. It also tied into more crossovers then Uncanny X-Men which was more isolated. Bota was all about the O5 there was always something until I right up till the end of the run. And fell on the way side when crossovers was stopped e.g. when they went to Utopia. Bendis jumped ship on a low as opposed to jumping ship on a high with his Avengers

BANNED

All new xmen had 4 characters and extraordinary xmen had the other one with a popular cast. Bendis had that book drive the stories of the franchise and everything centred around it. With multiple crossovers created because Bendis has that ability to do that.

The book sold because Bendis elevated its importance. It had nothing to do with cast
    It's a combination of cast, writer and artist. Do you honestly think it would have sold nearly as well if the book had been Bling, Sharkgirl, Oya, Wraith, and say...Pixie? Doubt it. There are a lot of vocal haters of the 05, but there clearly is a market for them. The current volume is not far off sales wise from Extraordinary despite Extraordinary being the flagship and according to you the "popular" cast. Jean, Scott, Hank, Bobby are quite popular thank you very much. All this hate for blue from vocal minority but it will sell just fine.

There were the same complaints when Bendis came on board and it ended up selling the best and had the most discussion. Similarly when the team of Scott, Jean, Hank and Logan for New XMen there was a similar outcry of omg all the popular characters went into xtreme men. Once again New Xmen was the best selling.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jorge17881 View Post
    Oh the sweet irony. Lol. Good point Jorge.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart View Post
    It's a combination of cast, writer and artist. Do you honestly think it would have sold nearly as well if the book had been Bling, Sharkgirl, Oya, Wraith, and say...Pixie? Doubt it. There are a lot of vocal haters of the 05, but there clearly is a market for them. The current volume is not far off sales wise from Extraordinary despite Extraordinary being the flagship and according to you the "popular" cast. Jean, Scott, Hank, Bobby are quite popular thank you very much. All this hate for blue from vocal minority but it will sell just fine.

There were the same complaints when Bendis came on board and it ended up selling the best and had the most discussion. Similarly when the team of Scott, Jean, Hank and Logan for New XMen there was a similar outcry of omg all the popular characters went into xtreme men. Once again New Xmen was the best selling.
    Extraordinary X-Men was the intended flagship but the obvious fan popular book was Uncanny X-Men. All new X-Men sells well if you consider it a satellite book however if you compare it to its predecessor it doesn't and that's mainly due to importance. Extraordinary X-Men was very poorly written and was actually did everything in its power to piss X-fans off. The reason it stayed a float is because it was the intended flagship.

There is a market for a teen book sure but not as the centre of the franchise.

People are always going to pick up the main book to understand the franchise and that's what All new X-Men was under Bendis. It also once again had several events attached to it.

And i could think of a different cast of young X-Men then the ones you listed that would probably sell just as much as Hopeless' all new X-Men.
    Last edited by ExodusCloak; 03-22-2017 at 09:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEsta View Post
    Well originally the 05 had top sales until Gillen overtook it. So the push worked at first.

Emma training Jean? Horrible idea. It would be like kissing on Jean fans. The stuck up blonde who Scott had a psychic affair with is the key to helping teen Jean? Nah..that should be Rachel, Storm, or Magneto, who can teach any mutant how to control their powers better than anyone.
    The O5 had top sales because of Bendis and Immonen on art. That is a top tier creative team that will move issues regardless of quality.

Also Emma did train Jean but it was too late into the series. Bendis was writing both characters and he wasn't using Storm or Rachel (who he had no interest in), so she was the one around that had the best understanding of Jean's power not fucking Kitty. Bendis was writing Magneto as some guy that was on the edge and possibly a spy. Wasn't in the best state to be teaching. With Emma you have the added dynamic of their past which actually makes a teacher/student dynamic more interesting and it wasn't like Emma was doing anything else under Bendis' pen.

The O5s success was solely down to Bendis this was shown in the bad sales of All New X-Men v2 and Extraordinary X-Men. Well at least Bunn is honest that this team was forced on him. That's never a good sign for any book
    You're forgetting another difference between anxm vol 1 and 2: Jean grey.

Yes I admit I am obviously biased. But let's see how xmen blue does (essentially anxm volume 3) now that Jean is reunited with the team. If the sales are so so we can conclude that maybe it was bendis's name that carried the sales.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

Don't forget the art bendis anxm had some of the best art marvel has.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Well, of the team books currently announched I think this will probably become the order of sales

1 - Astonishing
    2 - Gold
    3 - Blue
    4 - Gen X
    5 - Weapon X

Solo books;

1 - OML
    2 - Deadpool
    3 - Cable
    4 - AN Wolverine
    5 - Jean Grey
    6 - Iceman
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================

BANNED

Astonishing won't stay on top in sales after 4 months...

BANNED

I like how Bunn low key confirms the O5 were forced on him. Not my X-Men either buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEsta View Post
    Astonishing won't stay on top in sales after 4 months...
    I feel like the opposite could happen. It'll probably debut under Gold but might eclipse it long term depending on quality. I'm not exactly Soule's biggest fan after the hit job he did on Emma but he does seem generally more competent than Guggenhiem. I guess we'll see. It's a shame we didn't get Duggan, Ewing or Bunn himself on these two books though.

Whoa! My first X-Position question and it got answered! I'm 1/1! Good interview, no...GREAT interview! Sad he won't be picking up the Monet threads and that it looks like she will be in Generation X, the one book I wasn't going to pick up. Gotta say from other sources, some of the other characters rumored to be pulled in are not that thrilling to me, but I am totally willing to give Bunn a chance. Not that I read hardly anything past Secret Wars except UXM, but I was pretty heavy into the books prior to, and he's the best we've had since Mike Carey at least, if not possibly even slightly better.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nash View Post
    Whoa! My first X-Position question and it got answered! I'm 1/1! Good interview, no...GREAT interview! Sad he won't be picking up the Monet threads and that it looks like she will be in Generation X, the one book I wasn't going to pick up. Gotta say from other sources, some of the other characters rumored to be pulled in are not that thrilling to me, but I am totally willing to give Bunn a chance. Not that I read hardly anything past Secret Wars except UXM, but I was pretty heavy into the books prior to, and he's the best we've had since Mike Carey at least, if not possibly even slightly better.
    Sigh, did you really have to mention Mike Carey? You made me go back into those days and long for them again. Not that I am negative about the new upcoming books at all. But, sigh,... would it not be awesome if Mike Carey came back on board....
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"