Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    Maybe it's because the616 hammer is now sentient and it accepted that gods are unworthy thing?
    I am pretty sure that isn't it. Odinson suggests that the storm called to Jane, but he doesn't suggest the storm rejected him. This is entirely down to Thor's notion of worthiness as already explored in previous issues. Aaron has stated many times he feels that the enchantment would play on Thor's mind and make him always wonder if he is worthy. This is Aaron's take of the character, and to me it rings true. We have seen him brood about such things before. He can be quite contemplative when he is in the mood.

Quote Originally Posted by Link View Post
    Three years for a reveal we all knew already. Can we all agree that it's not a good plot device to drag out things like this? If it was 6 months, fine, but three years. No matter what the answer given to us was it would be underwhelming. When writers wait to long to give us an answer like this it's doesn't help their story at all. Remember the 'mystery' of who the red hulk was? I'm sure there's a ton more examples but I can't think of them right now.
    Where has this three year meme come from? Pretty sure it is more like two and a half.

But seriously why are you so concerned? For those that have been reading Thor ever since this hasn't been a huge issue. We didnt constantly wonder what the whisper was. Just because it's a mystery doesn't mean that is what the story is about. Although, I did notice a lot of people that said they weren't reading the book complaining quite a lot. For over two years! You would think they would let it go!

Marvel.com: In this issue, we finally learn what Nick Fury whispered to the Odinson in Original Sin that made him unworthy. He said, “Gorr was right.” What kind of impact did you hope this reveal would have on the Odinson’s story?

Jason Aaron: The idea with this mystery stretches back to the beginning of my run on Thor. We still see the effects that Thor’s battle with Gorr the God Butcher had on him, and the overall meaning of what Gorr did and why. I think as long as I’m guiding Thor’s ship, that idea of worthiness and what it means to be a god in the Marvel Universe will remain prominent themes. And I think this reveal shows that these questions still plague Thor Odinson, and I don’t expect that to go away anytime soon.

newest interview
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    You would think they would let it go!
    You know better than that lol.

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    You know better than that lol.
    Yes. Yes I do.

By the way the whisper was published in Original Sin #7 released 13th August 2014, just to save anyone looking.

Personally I thought the whisper reveal worked a lot better than I expected. It's simple, but from Odinson's point of view, dramatically effective. I wouldn't say it's brilliant, but it works. Thor seemed to gain a bit of wisdom by the end of this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    newest interview
    Thanks for that, I finally have a quote I can use when I try and explain that Aaron is writing about "what it means to be a god in the Marvel Universe". Pity he didn't say 'means to be Thor' but that will do.

BANNED

Where has this three year meme come from? Pretty sure it is more like two and a half.

But seriously why are you so concerned? For those that have been reading Thor ever since this hasn't been a huge issue. We didnt constantly wonder what the whisper was. Just because it's a mystery doesn't mean that is what the story is about. Although, I did notice a lot of people that said they weren't reading the book complaining quite a lot. For over two years! You would think they would let it go!
    Yeah, for anyone reading the book, the whisper hasn't been a big deal. At least in regards to the wait on the reveal. There's been other stuff going on that has taken far greater precedence.

While it might've been nice to know sooner, just for curiosity's sake, in the scheme of the overall story the wait was not a real issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Yeah, for anyone reading the book, the whisper hasn't been a big deal. At least in regards to the wait on the reveal. There's been other stuff going on that has taken far greater precedence.

While it might've been nice to know sooner, just for curiosity's sake, in the scheme of the overall story the wait was not a real issue.
    If you think about it, the reveal needed to be later, to give Jane as Thor time to bed in and start to develop the themes organically. If we had known from the start we would have always had it in our mind at every stage. We would have been weighing up every action next to Odinson's perspective. It just wouldn't have worked as well.

And it would have triple underlined JANE IS MORTAL with a huge pointer. Which is a little too on the nose for his theme.

Talking about this whole series and not just the whisper

I thought it was good to great at times but I actually felt like the fight scenes let me down.

Bill + Thor vs Collector, Proxima, what turned out ot be Hela (why was she cloaked again?), and Swan should have felt more epic. Plsu no Thanos which sucks

This issue wrapped up that fight WAY to fast. Just simply throwing the collector down? really? Hes an Eldar

essentially OHKO the trio was cool btu felt wrapped up way to much.

So, to me, this was solid. Not God Butcher great which I was hoping but solid.

I still don't understand most of the Hela stuff bc it hasn't been touched on at all in the Thor books so maybe if I had backgroudn on that I would have a better idea why she was allowing Prox and Swan to treat her like a dog and why she didn't actually fight during, well, the fight. I dont' really get it.. if she was that powerful why dind't she display that earlier? I figured she was depowered or somethign btu I guess not

BANNED

If you think about it, the reveal needed to be later, to give Jane as Thor time to bed in and start to develop the themes organically. If we had known from the start we would have always had it in our mind at every stage. We would have been weighing up every action next to Odinson's perspective. It just wouldn't have worked as well.

And it would have triple underlined JANE IS MORTAL with a huge pointer. Which is a little too on the nose for his theme.
    Yes. All very true. For a story to work properly, oftentimes information has to be withheld until the right moment.

Very disappointed with this reveal. It smacks in the face of everything that makes Thor what he is:
    Gorr a mass murderer of untold gods says to Thor that he was right about gods being unworthy because of his beliefs, thus making Thor have these
    self-doubts which make him unworthy ? Even though Thor has sacrificed himself countless times to save the Earth and the rest of the universe and has always put his immortal life on the line for those lesser than him since his inception ( at Marvel ) ? I can understand Gorr having a point about the gods being selfish etc but Thor is anything but a normal god which makes him unique in the universe and is respected by countless races. Then he's made unworthy because a serial mass murderer just says so because he despises gods..

No....just no.... It was obvious from the start of the series that he wouldn't wield UM in the end but the conclusion of the whisper is just weak and throws out 50 years of Thor history out the window.

Quote Originally Posted by adey040812 View Post
    Very disappointed with this reveal. It smacks in the face of everything that makes Thor what he is:
    Gorr a mass murderer of untold gods says to Thor that he was right about gods being unworthy because of his beliefs, thus making Thor have these
    self-doubts which make him unworthy ? Even though Thor has sacrificed himself countless times to save the Earth and the rest of the universe and has always put his immortal life on the line for those lesser than him since his inception ( at Marvel ) ? I can understand Gorr having a point about the gods being selfish etc but Thor is anything but a normal god which makes him unique in the universe and is respected by countless races. Then he's made unworthy because a serial mass murderer just says so because he despises gods..

No....just no.... It was obvious from the start of the series that he wouldn't wield UM in the end but the conclusion of the whisper is just weak and throws out 50 years of Thor history out the window.
    Oh come on. Everything you just ranted on about was covered in this VERY ISSUE

Thor IS different.

Unseen: "I never should have Whispered. I have never made the greatest of the Gods unworthy"

Bill: "But even without a hammer you still fight. everyday you give your blood, your tears, your immortal soul... to prove Gorr wrong. The Gods may not be worthy, but you are no mere God my friend"

Quote Originally Posted by adey040812 View Post

Where does Thor get the right to be the God of Thunder from? It isn't from Mjolnir, it is from the deity system as set up in the Marvel universe. That setup suggests the gods don't have any rights at all. In and of themselves, they are not the creators of anything, they are not the rulers of anyone. This is what Gor told us. He was technically reiterating the lore of earlier Thor comics. (Thor Annual 10) The Marvel universe has been set up to be humanity centric. The gods were shaped by man out of the dark parts that were burned away from Atum in the early days of Earth. You can see echoes of this all across Aaron's God of Thunder if you look for them.

He is told this, but he didn't necessarily believe it, but eventually Fury confirmed it. Fury probably saw how life on Earth formed from the Demiurge onwards. He was able to objectively tell Thor this philosophy was true.

This still leaves hope for Thor. Just because it is true does not mean that mankind considers him unworthy. Also I still wonder if a little piece of the Necrosword is still inside him, facilitating his doubts and fears and undermining his sense of self.

So to return to the question, the Asgardian gods have only the power granted to them by man. If Thor considers himself unworthy in the eyes of man then he is.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 03-22-2017 at 11:27 AM.

You know they say that if you focus enough, you could just spot the moment when across the world, readers all shouted out in unison "**** you Aaron!" in such a rage that even the gods themselves were humbled.