Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by adey040812 View Post
    Very disappointed with this reveal. It smacks in the face of everything that makes Thor what he is:
    Gorr a mass murderer of untold gods says to Thor that he was right about gods being unworthy because of his beliefs, thus making Thor have these
    self-doubts which make him unworthy ? Even though Thor has sacrificed himself countless times to save the Earth and the rest of the universe and has always put his immortal life on the line for those lesser than him since his inception ( at Marvel ) ? I can understand Gorr having a point about the gods being selfish etc but Thor is anything but a normal god which makes him unique in the universe and is respected by countless races. Then he's made unworthy because a serial mass murderer just says so because he despises gods..

No....just no.... It was obvious from the start of the series that he wouldn't wield UM in the end but the conclusion of the whisper is just weak and throws out 50 years of Thor history out the window.
    I agree with is wholeheartedly. It was a >thud< of an ending to what had, up to that point, been a pretty good story.

So to return to the question, the Asgardian gods have only the power granted to them by man. If Thor considers himself unworthy in the eyes of man then he is.
    This is seriously stretching the idea, which is a pretty bad one to start with.

Sidebar: when did the Collector become a bloodthirsty loon? He used to value his collection, not enjoy killing it on a sadistic whim.

BANNED

Very disappointed with this reveal. It smacks in the face of everything that makes Thor what he is:
    Gorr a mass murderer of untold gods says to Thor that he was right about gods being unworthy because of his beliefs, thus making Thor have these
    self-doubts which make him unworthy ? Even though Thor has sacrificed himself countless times to save the Earth and the rest of the universe and has always put his immortal life on the line for those lesser than him since his inception ( at Marvel ) ? I can understand Gorr having a point about the gods being selfish etc but Thor is anything but a normal god which makes him unique in the universe and is respected by countless races. Then he's made unworthy because a serial mass murderer just says so because he despises gods..

No....just no.... It was obvious from the start of the series that he wouldn't wield UM in the end but the conclusion of the whisper is just weak and throws out 50 years of Thor history out the window.
    Um...that'd be a "no" to all of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Oh come on. Everything you just ranted on about was covered in this VERY ISSUE

Thor IS different.

Unseen: "I never should have Whispered. I have never made the greatest of the Gods unworthy"

Bill: "But even without a hammer you still fight. everyday you give your blood, your tears, your immortal soul... to prove Gorr wrong. The Gods may not be worthy, but you are no mere God my friend"
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Link View Post
    Three years for a reveal we all knew already. Can we all agree that it's not a good plot device to drag out things like this? If it was 6 months, fine, but three years. No matter what the answer given to us was it would be underwhelming. When writers wait to long to give us an answer like this it's doesn't help their story at all. Remember the 'mystery' of who the red hulk was? I'm sure there's a ton more examples but I can't think of them right now.
    Yeah Aaron kind of foreshadowed this is a previous issue of Unworthy Thor. "Gorr was right" was speculated fairly frequently. But I wouldn't necess say it's a letdown because, as others have pointed out, it does lead in to what may be a conclusion of Aaron's Thor run and its overarching themes Worthiness and the place of the gods

I liked the whisper reveal. It's simple but ties into the long-running story Aaron has been telling. I think it was just hyped up, because editorial tied it to an event. It also should have been revealed much sooner (like a year later). I'm assuming it was delayed because Marvel's non-stop event machine didn't allow Aaron a chance to tell the story until now.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    This was certainly an interesting issue. Fury's words work well without being too on the nose, and we can probably bet the 'War Thor' is also a mortal. And I can still cling to my theory of the underlying substance of Aaron's story being about how Thor should have been tied to a mortal all along.

It does feel just a little bit Doctor Who influenced to introduce a mysterious, grim, war monikered version of the character. I am not sure how I feel about that at the moment, but it does play into the War of the Realms story, and it feels a lot better than Odinson laying claim to the hammer.

This is a harsh mini-series for those hoping that Odinson would weild the hammer and take up his mantle, but how many of us really believed that was going to happen. Especially with the contradictions on front covers over on Mighty Thor, and now with the Ultimate Thor front cover reveal, which seemed poorly timed.

I wonder if we will see more of Odinson in other books now.
    But the words spoken by the character were in Asgardian script prior to his lifting the hammer

Quote Originally Posted by Biclopcicle View Post
    But the words spoken by the character were in Asgardian script prior to his lifting the hammer
    Yes there was a little of that, I noticed it too, it is contradictory but not conclusive. The talk of having been changed by travel and experience could give us clues. It could be a mortal that has spent time in Asgard or somewhere similar.

Or perhaps someone from one of the other realms...Don't the elves talk with that script as well?

Quote Originally Posted by pugbuddy View Post
    This is seriously stretching the idea, which is a pretty bad one to start with.
    If you go back and look at the reviews way back in the God of Thunder days a lot of people were talking about Thor Annual 10. They were speculating if Gor was a new version of the Demigorge for example, or wondering if the weapon as yet unnamed was originally weilded by one of the elder gods in the Serpent Crown back story. Marvel never dismissed the stories fully, and they even brought the demigorge back in Shattered Heroes only six years ago.

Go and reread God of Thunder and you will see lots of little shoutouts to that old story. Aaron must have decided it would be better to kick off his run with an original story with nods to the old continuity than to rehash it or reference it, but the meaning of the story and the themes are much the same. The gods are not the creators and they act as if they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Biclopcicle View Post
    Or perhaps someone from one of the other realms...Don't the elves talk with that script as well?
    Yes I was going to look back at his 'The Accursed' story and see who fitted the bill. Not got there yet.

p.s. The gloves do a good job of hiding skin, be it blue or pale so elves are not out of the equation.

p.p.s. The "There are Other Thor's kind of suggests it is a Thor already." That could narrow the field to a couple of time travellers and a few people that have been Thor. Although I am obsessed with Blake I really don't think it could be him.

Apparently we find out pretty quick.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 03-22-2017 at 01:21 PM.

I didn't "rant" about it. I just gave my opinion

I didn't "rant" about it. I just gave my opinion
    Suggesting this throws 50 years on continuity out of the window is a little ranty. Especially as there have been plenty of Thor writers that have willingly done the same. some of them much loved for doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Suggesting this throws 50 years on continuity out of the window is a little ranty. Especially as there have been plenty of Thor writers that have willingly done the same. some of them much loved for doing so.
    I don't think it's " a little ranty" at all...if I was swearing or using caps then yes. Anyway, as a longtime reader ( before Walt came on the book ) it just saddens me that Thor has to be humbled or taught humility for the umpteenth time. You'd of thought he'd learnt by now. He has enough human qualities that separate him from the other gods that show this but Marvel seem to think he needs to be deconstructed to be relatable every few years for readers.

Ultimate Member

Yeah, I find myself underwhelmed by the reveal.

In general, because mortals and Gods have already gone their separate ways for a long while now. Aside from Herc, Thor and a handful of others, mortals and Gods went through a divorce ages ago.

In specifics to Thor, it fails because of all the God he's done, and as it stands, that Aaron is still shilling Thor, only with Jane.

"Yeah, mortals don't need Gods. Just, ya know, all of Thor's powers and weapon. Oh! And his name, 'cause branding."

Yeah, all of that for nothing, and he still doesn't get a hammer to call his own. This arc has run long enough, and they should end it already. On the other hand, I do love that Hela and Thanos hooked up because that actually makes a lot of sense.

Incredible Member Sensational C's Avatar

Not sure how I feel on this, on one hand I'm glad Thor has shaken off Gorr and doesn't have doubts anymore but on the second hand I'm not sure why this would make Mjlonir reject Thor especially if its sentient and has been with Thor for a while now and the many times he's fought evil gods alongside fellow good gods like Herc and Asgardians, Thor disobeying his father for the greater good, and it experiencing what Gorr did.
    I guess I just preferred too much the fan theory that Nick was actually whispering to the Hammer that it was a living thing before and being used by Thor, even if unknowingly, Mjlonir needed someone new, with Thor felling guilty for using a living being, continuing its inprisonment, for his adventures.