Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by adey040812 View Post
    I don't think it's " a little ranty" at all...if I was swearing or using caps then yes. Anyway, as a longtime reader ( before Walt came on the book ) it just saddens me that Thor has to be humbled or taught humility for the umpteenth time. You'd of thought he'd learnt by now. He has enough human qualities that separate him from the other gods that show this but Marvel seem to think he needs to be deconstructed to be relatable every few years for readers.
    As a longtime reader, I'd assume you'd be used to the cyclical nature of comic book storytelling. Some stories are just integral to a character. Thor is always going to be learning humility. Spider-Man will someday soon be down on his luck as usual. The X-Men office will tell another story about Jean Grey and the Phoenix. Today's current writers are yesterday's fans, and writers often draw upon their own experiences. It's just the nature of the industry. At least Marvel doesn't straight up reboot their universe like DC does when they retell stories.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jazzflower92 View Post
    Yeah, all of that for nothing, and he still doesn't get a hammer to call his own. This arc has run long enough, and they should end it already. On the other hand, I do love that Hela and Thanos hooked up because that actually makes a lot of sense.
    Yes, that's quite a couple!

As for Thor not getting a hammer, I actually liked that. It would've been the obvious thing for him to be like "Ok, I feel better now! I'm back to being worthy!" and claim the Ultimate Thor hammer for himself with a big splash page at the end. I think that's what the majority of people were expecting because it's just the simple solution to go with. With how things played out here, though, we're still on a journey. We now know why he felt unworthy and that the emotional journey he's on is about more than just getting a hammer back. And we also see that he clearly doesn't need to wield a hammer to be a hero. He's still a hero, still capable of kicking righteous ass.

I dug this issue's conclusion and what it portends for the future and as I'm in no hurry to see Jane stop being Thor, I'm ok with Odinson's hammer-less existence.

And honestly, I'm actually far more excited now for War Thor (whoever it may be) than I would've been for Odinson to start swinging the Ultimate Thor hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post

As for Thor not getting a hammer, I actually liked that. It would've been the obvious thing for him to be like "Ok, I feel better now! I'm back to being worthy!" and claim the Ultimate Thor hammer for himself with a big splash page at the end. I think that's what the majority of people were expecting because it's just the simple solution to go with. With how things played out here, though, we're still on a journey. We now know why he felt unworthy and that the emotional journey he's on is about more than just getting a hammer back. And we also see that he clearly doesn't need to wield a hammer to be a hero. He's still a hero, still capable of kicking righteous ass.

I dug this issue's conclusion and what it portends for the future and as I'm in no hurry to see Jane stop being Thor, I'm ok with Odinson's hammer-less existence.

And honestly, I'm actually far more excited now for War Thor (whoever it may be) than I would've been for Odinson to start swinging the Ultimate Thor hammer.

Sorry, but Jane Thor is just not working me and let's just get Odinson back.

Niffleheim

In Gorr's whole arc, between him & Thor, who were you rooting for?
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

i thought this mini was great. the final reveal of what Fury said worked for me. look, i've been reading Thor comics for over twenty years. i think Aaron is doing a great job exploring the many facets of Thor. if you don't like Jane or what Aaron is doing, fine. just don't cry about it constantly and loudly.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by jazzflower92 View Post
    Sorry, but Jane Thor is just not working me and let's just get Odinson back.
    Yeah I'm in the same boat I just gave up again in The Mighty Thor with the Shi'ar War. I don't think we will be seeing Odinson getting any more development by Aaron.
    Last edited by Tofali; 03-22-2017 at 03:15 PM.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Extraordinary Member

HUGE letdown.

However, I am glad that Gorr is remembered.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DeathGods View Post
    Yeah I'm in the same boat I just gave up again in The Mighty Thor with the Shi'ar War. I don't think we will be seeing Odinson getting any more development by Aaron.
    I'd say you'd be wrong. Aaron has plans ahead for Odinson, I'm sure.

Niffleheim

I'd say you'd be wrong. Aaron has plans ahead for Odinson, I'm sure.
    I hope I'm wrong after the whisper we'll be getting back to teasing and Odinson's walk throughs in Mighty Thor and after Unworthy Thor I'm not interested in that anymore but I'm not going to begrudge other ppl enjoying MT.
    Last edited by Tofali; 03-22-2017 at 04:20 PM.

I'm sorry but I gotta disagree there. The entire plot point of Thor not getting the hammer just felt like a massive middle finger to the audience, especially those who have been following this since the beginning. Ever since the ending of the Thors mini back in Secret Wars, Aaron's been writing that out as if to build up to Thor claiming the Ultimate Mjolnir:

1. In the final issue of Thors, Thor defeats Destroyer Thor and while in the hall of Doomgard looks at the abandoned hammer before turning to leave declaring "maybe next time". The mini then ends with the scene of Ultimate Mjolnir breaking through to 616 and landing in Asgard with the inscription changing to 'Whoever wields this hammer, if they be worthy, shall posses all the power of Thor' a contrast to how 616's inscription changed to 'if she be worthy' setting up for Thor to be able to claim this new hammer.

2. When we next saw Thor, we saw that he was captured in Asgard close to the hammer showing that that plot point was being continued.

3. We had the central plot point throughout the mini being about Thor attempting to make it to the hammer, shaking off the doubts that have plagued him and weighed him down ever since he became unworthy. They even ended the previous issue on the note of him being right at the hammer and started this one with him taking hold of the hammer.

For Aaron to not only pull such a swerve in having Thor just say that it's not his hammer to take but to literally invent a character that no one asked for is not only a massive middle finger to the reader, it serves to only compound the entire problem. This new 'War Thor' came literally completely out of the blue with no actual buildup to his existence and has now created yet another Thor to wield the hammer while the actual Thor is still left without. While us finally learning what was whispered to Thor is nice, that should be the icing on the cake, not what turned out to be the entire point.

So, out of my curiosity, question for anybody that read this. I get that they finally revealed what Fury whispered, but they still have not revealed what made him unworthy? I'm trying to figure out how Fury whispering his opinion on Gorrs statement in his ear would suddenly make him unworthy. This reeks of "here, we know we screwed up with the whisper and it makes no sense, but we finally came up with the best thing we could think of, so please everybody stop asking about it so we can finally sweep it all under a rug and everybody can move along". Seriously, what does Fury's opinion that Gorr was right have anything to do with making him unworthy? Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by adey040812 View Post
    I don't think it's " a little ranty" at all...if I was swearing or using caps then yes. Anyway, as a longtime reader ( before Walt came on the book ) it just saddens me that Thor has to be humbled or taught humility for the umpteenth time. You'd of thought he'd learnt by now. He has enough human qualities that separate him from the other gods that show this but Marvel seem to think he needs to be deconstructed to be relatable every few years for readers.
    But he isnt human is he? Not even a little bit. They put paid to that years ago. Which is why I think Aaron is commenting on this very point. I believe removing Thor's connection to humanity was a mistake made by Marvel way back, and it lessened him. The official cannon is a mess all stemming back to three or four key retcons that began when Stan and Jack decided to make Blake unreal, and culminated in Blake being a real human that was killed in a cave. And this is a rant. It is my most common rant. And I hope possibly unreasonably that Aaron is going at least a little way to making it right again. Even if that only means making Thor connected to humanity in some other way.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    I'm sorry but I gotta disagree there. The entire plot point of Thor not getting the hammer just felt like a massive middle finger to the audience, especially those who have been following this since the beginning. Ever since the ending of the Thors mini back in Secret Wars, Aaron's been writing that out as if to build up to Thor claiming the Ultimate Mjolnir:

1. In the final issue of Thors, Thor defeats Destroyer Thor and while in the hall of Doomgard looks at the abandoned hammer before turning to leave declaring "maybe next time". The mini then ends with the scene of Ultimate Mjolnir breaking through to 616 and landing in Asgard with the inscription changing to 'Whoever wields this hammer, if they be worthy, shall posses all the power of Thor' a contrast to how 616's inscription changed to 'if she be worthy' setting up for Thor to be able to claim this new hammer.

2. When we next saw Thor, we saw that he was captured in Asgard close to the hammer showing that that plot point was being continued.

3. We had the central plot point throughout the mini being about Thor attempting to make it to the hammer, shaking off the doubts that have plagued him and weighed him down ever since he became unworthy. They even ended the previous issue on the note of him being right at the hammer and started this one with him taking hold of the hammer.

For Aaron to not only pull such a swerve in having Thor just say that it's not his hammer to take but to literally invent a character that no one asked for is not only a massive middle finger to the reader, it serves to only compound the entire problem. This new 'War Thor' came literally completely out of the blue with no actual buildup to his existence and has now created yet another Thor to wield the hammer while the actual Thor is still left without. While us finally learning what was whispered to Thor is nice, that should be the icing on the cake, not what turned out to be the entire point.
    A widely predicted swerve, so it wasn't exactly a forgone conclusion was it? At least a few of us were warning of this when we first saw the solicits. I am on record in this forum of being sceptical when we first saw it arrive and when we first saw it laying next to the captured Thor. Aaron was probably being pragmatic. At any time Marvel could decide somebody else should take over, so he needs to have an end game each time he gets further confirmation. That helps ensure his run won't just fizzle out like his Wolverine and the X-Men run mostly did. So he probably didn't want to have him pick up the hammer, but it was always an option if his run came to an end.

Quote Originally Posted by OldManBrian View Post
    So, out of my curiosity, question for anybody that read this. I get that they finally revealed what Fury whispered, but they still have not revealed what made him unworthy? I'm trying to figure out how Fury whispering his opinion on Gorrs statement in his ear would suddenly make him unworthy. This reeks of "here, we know we screwed up with the whisper and it makes no sense, but we finally came up with the best thing we could think of, so please everybody stop asking about it so we can finally sweep it all under a rug and everybody can move along". Seriously, what does Fury's opinion that Gorr was right have anything to do with making him unworthy? Am I missing something?
    I explain this above. Fury has seen something that confirms objectively that the gods are not actual gods. If you read God of Thunder Gor accuses the gods of not creating anything and not helping anyone. He basically states they are living a lie. Once Fury confirms this Thor believes the facts. Gor was right. It isn't just that Thor thinks Gor was right, he now knows he was right.

I thought the reveal wasn't the greatest, but it worked for me. I guess it's because I didn't have the highest expectations.
    I wonder who Ultimate Thor is? I'm just really glad it doesn't seem to be Odin. It would be really dumb to have him take his son's name.