Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
    i thought this mini was great. the final reveal of what Fury said worked for me. look, i've been reading Thor comics for over twenty years. i think Aaron is doing a great job exploring the many facets of Thor. if you don't like Jane or what Aaron is doing, fine. just don't cry about it constantly and loudly.
    Some people define themselves by what they like, and spend lots of energy focusing on those things. Some people do the opposite and define themselves by what they don't like. If it wasn't for the pretty high quality of Thor comics since JMS took over (actually maybe half way through Jurgens) I would have wandered off, talked about other comics and not looked back. The line has been steadily rebuilding its popularity for years now and this is probably the most popular it has been since Simonson. Anything this good will have its detractors.

BANNED

I wonder if this new ultimate Thor is going to run amock like bloodaxe did showing mortals are not mean to yield to the siren call of godly power if it is a mortal that is and not the reborn ultimate Thor. The same way thou shall not pretend to be a false god pretending to be a noble deity but must lead a false life by donning a human avatar least ye be damned to eternal unworthiness. lol.
    Last edited by theoneandonly; 03-22-2017 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    A widely predicted swerve, so it wasn't exactly a forgone conclusion was it? At least a few of us were warning of this when we first saw the solicits. I am on record in this forum of being sceptical when we first saw it arrive and when we first saw it laying next to the captured Thor. Aaron was probably being pragmatic. At any time Marvel could decide somebody else should take over, so he needs to have an end game each time he gets further confirmation. That helps ensure his run won't just fizzle out like his Wolverine and the X-Men run mostly did. So he probably didn't want to have him pick up the hammer, but it was always an option if his run came to an end.
    Honestly, prior to the solicits released yesterday, there was no real indication that Thor wouldn't get the hammer. One could say the fact that he had the axe on the cover for May's issue, but when it comes to comics, a common trope is to never trust the covers because they tend to lie. As for him being pragmatic, I wouldn't really call stringing along the reader being pragmatic, especially when you have something like the plot point of War Thor which can honestly be seen as an asspull since there was literally nothing that even insinuated his existence at all. Unless War Thor is literally a villain that Thor will have to overcome down the line to truly claim the hammer, he's basically superfluous in this plot, especially when we already have Jane as the worthy one preventing Thor from having a hammer of his own.

Spectacular Member

It took Aaron 3 years to comes up with that? Don't get me wrong the entire situation was engineered by the editors not him gave him a near impossible task but this explanation feels like he didn't even care to to spin the mess they handed him.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
    If you don't like Jane or what Aaron is doing, fine. just don't cry about it constantly and loudly.
    Okay.... but by that logic if you do like Jane or what Aaron is doing then shouldn't you then in turn refrain from praising it constantly and loudly?

Felt it was going to end this way, yet i can't tell if it should make me mad or not...eh, screw it, i knew Marvel would not have it happen with the Thor we all know, they are in this kick about replacing heroes so i shouldn't have believed otherwise. As for the reveal, i never read that story arc so i don't know what this Gorr character was about so i don't get the importance but yeah now we all know who hoo and all that.

I think this issue is on par with the rest of Aaron's run. It has been absolute **** since the end of the God Butcher arc. I didn't think this mini would be good with him on it. I wish I was wrong. The whisper was stupid three years ago and the revealed whisper is even stupider. Gor was right?? I don't understand how that makes since. But I'm sure that someone who likes Aaron's Thor run will make up a explanation and defend the revealed whisper. But that's they've done for three years. I think Coipel's art is fantastic as usual.

I can't say this went as expected but after reading it a second time, it was good - I was hoping for a return of a 'Worthy Thor' but I'm OK with Ultimate mjolnir awaiting a more appropriate owner and I hope that one day, we'll see Thor with mjolnir one more time.

Quote Originally Posted by lordodin1973 View Post
    I can't say this went as expected but after reading it a second time, it was good - I was hoping for a return of a 'Worthy Thor' but I'm OK with Ultimate mjolnir awaiting a more appropriate owner and I hope that one day, we'll see Thor with mjolnir one more time.
    I wish i had your optimism friend, but i think i have run out to be honest.

How much longer do you think Jane-Thor can last? I grow weary...

How much longer do you think Jane-Thor can last? I grow weary...
    War Thor did not help matters for me and may have actually killed the last bit of patience I had with Aaron. It's been 3 years and Aaron just showed us it won't be over any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    War Thor did not help matters for me and may have actually killed the last bit of patience I had with Aaron. It's been 3 years and Aaron just showed us it won't be over any time soon.
    You're probably right - It's almost as if Thor fans are being punished. Look, I've no problems with Aaron as a writer; he's a talented guy, but Thor is signified by mjolnir and a hammer-less Thundergod is quite frankly, depressing as hell - Meanwhile, Jane is swashbuckling hither and thither, smiting everything under the sun. I guess that I'm more in line with 'Thor the character' than I am the writing-style(s) and agendas of faceless pencil-jockies -

Spectacular Member

If you go back and look at the reviews way back in the God of Thunder days a lot of people were talking about Thor Annual 10. They were speculating if Gor was a new version of the Demigorge for example, or wondering if the weapon as yet unnamed was originally weilded by one of the elder gods in the Serpent Crown back story. Marvel never dismissed the stories fully, and they even brought the demigorge back in Shattered Heroes only six years ago.

Go and reread God of Thunder and you will see lots of little shoutouts to that old story. Aaron must have decided it would be better to kick off his run with an original story with nods to the old continuity than to rehash it or reference it, but the meaning of the story and the themes are much the same. The gods are not the creators and they act as if they are.
    There have been a number of variations on that story but none are considered "the absolute truth"; you know as well as I do that Marvel doesn't have any real continuity with their characters. This is especially true of the last decade or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensational C View Post
    Not sure how I feel on this, on one hand I'm glad Thor has shaken off Gorr and doesn't have doubts anymore but on the second hand I'm not sure why this would make Mjlonir reject Thor especially if its sentient and has been with Thor for a while now and the many times he's fought evil gods alongside fellow good gods like Herc and Asgardians, Thor disobeying his father for the greater good, and it experiencing what Gorr did.
    I guess I just preferred too much the fan theory that Nick was actually whispering to the Hammer that it was a living thing before and being used by Thor, even if unknowingly, Mjlonir needed someone new, with Thor felling guilty for using a living being, continuing its inprisonment, for his adventures.
    This. Thor has fought alongside great gods against incredible evil. For the first 30-40 years of his comic, Odin was the highest standard of good (before Fraction began to be write him as a power-mad dictator). Thor has regularly interacted with gods who are both good and inspiring to others (as Thor has often been described). But a sadistic, deranged, psychopath tells him they are all false and unworthy and Thor's world falls apart? It's hash. In Lee, Thomas, and even Simonson's runs, Thor would have thrown him off, declared the glory and goodness of Asgard and Odin and ignored his nonsense while he punked him. Aaron's interest is not in Thor's humility; it is in debunking the gods themselves.

I explain this above. Fury has seen something that confirms objectively that the gods are not actual gods. If you read God of Thunder Gor accuses the gods of not creating anything and not helping anyone. He basically states they are living a lie. Once Fury confirms this Thor believes the facts. Gor was right. It isn't just that Thor thinks Gor was right, he now knows he was right.
    Everything in this idea is based on Gor being trustworthy and not the sado-psycho he actually was.

Overall, we disagree on how Aaron has decided to handle a fantasy character in a comic book. I'll be glad when Thor is actually Thor again. Aaron keeps almost telling a good story but never gets the job done well (I think). If not for Coipel's art, I wouldn't have picked this run up. Oh well. Back to waiting for me. I'm happy for you if you are enjoying the book as-is.

Spectacular Member

The whisper reveal is a letdown. It would have been ok if it was revealed say 6 months after Original Sin. But 3 years? 3 years for what was teased relentlessly. What made Thor unworthy? It boils down to being told he was unworthy.

And now people are still saying "Well, wait to see what Jason Aaron does before you judge it." People, we waited three years, we can judge it. No more waiting required.

BANNED

You're probably right - It's almost as if Thor fans are being punished.
    Jeez, if this is being "punished", it feels great!

I get that some Thor fans just want straight-up, old-school Thor. That's cool. To each their own. But while I like old-school Thor too I feel like that'll all come back eventually as things always do and in the meantime I love what the book currently is. And I mean I REALLY love it. It's a spectacular run that wows me with every new issue.