Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Who, is Power Girl right now, exactly?

Yeah... something I just got to thinking about... Power Girl has a rather... complex history - but what exactly, is that history at the moment?

I see her appearing on Harley Quinn -covers at the moment, so I'm guessing she's back on Earth-0? But what with the recent change of the Superman-mythos, the morphing continuity that is Rebirth (not finished yet, I know), her time as a new clear origin in the New-52 (entirely separate from post-crisis and the original Earth-2) and generally the bringing back of Post-Crisis elements...

I find myself wondering, once more... WHO is Power Girl??

Has this been cleared out, or is this one of those things that are still in flux, and might become clear (yeah right...) in the future?

BANNED

She's the cousin of New 52 Earth-2 Superman.

The Harley Quinn books are kind of their own thing.

Astonishing Member

Interesting question.

I think a lot depends on how they handle the JSA. It does seem that the JSA will be incorporated into Earth 0 history. So where does that leave the JSA of the new Earth 2 (which I believe recently experienced its own in-story 'reboot' of sorts)?

New 52 Power Girl isn't a simple case of Manhattan tampering with time and 'rebooting' Pre-Flashpoint Power Girl...that's for sure.

It's been several months, but as far as I know, there's still not quite an answer to this, right?

The history between the two Power Girl's are quite different, so if the old continuity has made a return, does this mean that the old EARTH-2, from the 50's and onwards, is back?

Quote Originally Posted by L.R Johansson View Post
    It's been several months, but as far as I know, there's still not quite an answer to this, right?

The history between the two Power Girl's are quite different, so if the old continuity has made a return, does this mean that the old EARTH-2, from the 50's and onwards, is back?
    Harley Quinn's solo book isn't canon.

If I recall, the Zero issue shows the series starting after she's left Suicide Squad . . . which she of course hasn't in every other book in DC.

Connor and/or Palmiotti said that it takes place after Suicide Squad . . . which is never going to happen. For all intents and purposes it's not canon.

Power Girl is Tanya Spears.

The character who use to go by the "Power Girl" name, Kara Zor-L/Zor-El, as far as I know, is again on Earth 2 and is again using the name "Supergirl".

As for the one that was with Harley Quinn, there's this on Wikipedia:
    A temporarily amnesiac Power Girl from a seemingly alternative reality (not Earth 2, but more reminiscent of the pre-New 52 Power Girl) crashes in Harley Quinn's reality as shown in Harley Quinn (2013-) storyline "Power Outage" (Issues #10-13). Some of the missing time from this joint encounter was explored in the 6-issue mini-series Harley Quinn and Power Girl (2015). Due to an attack by some evil aliens she got knocked back to Earth and landed at harley Quinn's feet, devoid of memories. Harley temporarily took her on as a partner, flirted with her, and they fought crime together before being sent across the universe on a quest to return home. When Power Girl got her memories back and realized that Harley had lied to her, she was less than amused, but forgave her. Then Harley hit on her and ended up being left atop the Eiffel Tower. They do however remain friends, though Power Girl tends to roll her eyes and sigh a lot whenever this comes up.

She has reappeared in Harley Quinn's ongoing series several times since. Like when she rescued Harley from drowning or more recently when Harley got involved in trying to calm down and even rehabilitate a would-be alien overlord. When last seen Power Girl and another super-heroine, Terra (Altee) who appears to be her new sidekick, were just arriving as the alien began trashing a Jewish Deli and the surrounding area and Harley (back in the same crime fighting suit she wore to work with Power Girl) is relieved to see them. She then agrees to date him, sacrificing her dignity, until he gets too forward. Altee already knew Harley and the two watched the date with interest and wisecracks until the fighting started. Afterwards Harley was suggesting either dumping him on another planet or killing him when he wandered off and got hit by a truck. Harley and Altee then went out with some of her friends.

I have honestly just decided the only way to make the Harley Quinn series work is to put it either in the not too distant past, or accept that a lot of it is a result of her psychosis :P

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manda-Panda View Post
    I have honestly just decided the only way to make the Harley Quinn series work is to put it either in the not too distant past, or accept that a lot of it is a result of her psychosis :P
    I accept it as her psychosis. That said, it's popular enough that I expect things from it will creep into other books as time goes by, canon or not. And I think the take on Kara/Power Girl from that book (and their take on Vartox) will probably show up in other books and link up with the JSA, who will get handwaved as the Power Girl who survived COIE.

As for Earth-2? Honestly, I expect it to get a major reboot down the line and eventually be a place that's home to things that Rebirth/Doomsday Clock don't restore. Maybe it could have a Dick Sprang Batman and shortpants Robin. Maybe a Jay Garrick closer to the TV show version. Maybe throw in Killer Frost and Deathstorm. Maybe an Infinity Inc. I think a part of the rebirthing process is going to retro up Earth-2 and/or Earth-3. My guess (and it's just a guess) is that they're waiting until after the DCU is settled to get Earth-2 and Earth-3 in order and that we'll see elements of classic comics and the Flash TV show woven into them. Maybe 2 will be evil/retro and 3 will be good/retro, ala Flash. Most of the Multiverse is kind of fine the way it is but E-2 and E-3 are kind of in shambles.

Power Girl is Kara Zor-El aka Karen Starr originally hailing from Earth 2. Where Earth 2 stands in the Rebirth Multiverse and when she'll be back right now is the mystery. But it sure as hell better be resolved eventually, because I reject the idea of the teen Power Girl simply being the one and only PG going forward and Karen staying in oblivion on some ill-defined Earth 2 where she was last seen being Supergirl again. She's evolved beyond that as a character. She's the one character if there ever was one who actually belongs on a world not her own (Earth-0).
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-07-2017 at 04:04 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I reject the idea of the teen Power Girl simply being the one and only PG going forward. That would be a bullcrap move.
    But, at the moment, that's what we have.
    Whether a more traditional "Power Girl" is part of any JSA we get as a result of Rebirth is really all up in the air, and I'm assuming will partially depend on where (on what Earth) we get any JSA and whether there would be any Kryptonian connections or not.

I know, its all there is at the moment, which sucks. I'm all for diversity, I'm just tired of it being utilized in a way that gets classic characters replaced. Its a wrongheaded approach to a positive idea.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

How about Karen going by Power woman and Tanya being powergirl? Maybe have Linda danvers as super woman(yeah not Lana),and Kara as supergirl.

Just ideas,I like evolution of characters(like I want for Kon),aslong as it's incremental,and isn't pushing any other character to the side

They could always go the DCAU route... In the DCAU, Powergirl is a modified clone of Supergirl, genetically identical, but not physically.

Well, not exactly, she looks the same but has a different(evil) personality, and uses the name Galatea.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Have yet to read about Tanya properly, but I like the idea of her. I read a bit in Deathstroke, and I'm really digging her.

Regarding the name, I'd say this is an instance where she's not really taking the place of Karen. She's not occupying any of the same space that Karen ever did. This isn't a situation of "oh she's black now." If the JSA is to have Karen in it then their's no good reason why she can't be named Power Woman as stephens suggest.

I for one would love to have them both be part of the Super Fam. Really loving Tanya's look and feel, and I think it would play well in the fam.

I just wonder, if Karen is to come back for the JSA then will Val come with her? Or do we leave him on Earth-2, and finally do something that's not super gimmicky with that place? The concept of a long distance relationship across dimensions is pretty cool, and pretty super.

Whole lot of interesting parts that can come together.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

So it's not just Marvel doing diverse legacy characters then! Power Girl, Kid Flash, any more?