Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Remember the Superboy mess of the New 52 ? Remember his name ?

Remember the mess that was Superboy in the new 52 era and how one was stated to be the son of Lois and Clark, does anyone think DC was planning this given the new Superboy in Rebirth ?

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I doubt all of this was intentional, but I do think it was in the works for quite some time in some form or another. I think DC wanted Superman and Lois to have a biological son at some point. Jurgens came to them with a pitch for a son, and I have to believe that DC flat out told him to name the child Jon. The idea that Jon Lane Kent and Jon Sam Kent are both representations of the retroactively discovered Pre-52/New 52 distinction is probably just as retroactive as the distinction. But, on it's own, it works well enough. Jon Sam Kent is perfectly the anti-Jon Lane Kent.

I don't imagine DC will want much to do with Jon Lane Kent, even as a foe, in the future.

n52? Lobdell? Planning?

Nah. I don't think so, Jon Lane Kent is honestly an AU Son of Superman who Kon was created from if I'm not mistaken.

I hope that when Kon gets back he is a Superman clone, the way he's supposed to it.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sakuyamons View Post
    Nah. I don't think so, Jon Lane Kent is honestly an AU Son of Superman who Kon was created from if I'm not mistaken.
    As far as I know, Jon Lane Kent came from the future of the New 52 Superman. Jon Sam Kent is technically his analog.

I hope that when Kon gets back he is a Superman clone, the way he's supposed to it.
    I honestly have no idea what way they're gonna go with this. I would imagine they'd go for the hybrid Lex/Superman idea because of Johns, the YJ show, and the reintroduction of some Pre-52 ideas. However, I can't be sure, because no clues have been given.

I just choose to remember the first few issues by Lobdell. Those were actually good. Then DeFalco came on and it never recovered. Although to be fair had Lobdell stayed, he still probably would have done the Harvest stuff which was all bad too, so there still would have been some troubles. But still, the guy isn't straight garbage the likes which this place likes to exaggerate. There are projects which work well for him and which go well. Red Hood and the Outlaws being the best example.

But yeah, I think they wanted to do something with a son for Lois and Clark even way before Rebirth. The idea was in the air and it just eventually morphed into what we have now when Rebirth became a thing. Pretty sure it was Jurgens' pitch, I'm just saying his pitch wasn't far off from what was of interest to them anyway, hence probably why it was approved in the first place.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-28-2017 at 06:40 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    As far as I know, Jon Lane Kent came from the future of the New 52 Superman. Jon Sam Kent is technically his analog.

I thought Jon Lane Kent was an AU Clois child? I might be mistaken though.

I thought Jon Lane Kent was an AU Clois child? I might be mistaken though.
    He was the Nu52 Clois' child from an alternate future.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I honestly stopped taking new 52 Superboy seriously after the culling crossover, that's when I finally woke up and realized that book would never be good.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I would have really liked keeping the evil Jon Lane if it wasn't for the fact that we have Cyborg, Zod, Eradicator, Bizarro, Zero, and "Superman Black" all coming up. I'm gonna be a little burned out.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I don't think they'll go back to anything associated with the New 52. I think it's officially dead. As for Conner, I don't see him coming back anytime soon either. For one thing, there's no void for him to fill. Everyone seems to think that Rebirth is a return to the pre-Flashpoint universe. I don't think it is. Rebirth seems to be something else entirely.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I don't think they'll go back to anything associated with the New 52. I think it's officially dead. As for Conner, I don't see him coming back anytime soon either. For one thing, there's no void for him to fill. Everyone seems to think that Rebirth is a return to the pre-Flashpoint universe. I don't think it is. Rebirth seems to be something else entirely.
    Out of all of Tim's generation, Kon is the one with the biggest chance to come back. Johns favorite and all.

Rebirth is a crisis-like event under a different name, and most importantly, DC is about legacies...not about 'Ruin the characters who were already in a bad shape further and throw them in the trash' even with Jon running around as Superboy, I'm sure there will be a space for Kon, somewhere and somehow.

Out of all of Tim's generation, Kon is the one with the biggest chance to come back. Johns favorite and all.

Rebirth is a crisis-like event under a different name, and most importantly, DC is about legacies...not about 'Ruin the characters who were already in a bad shape further and throw them in the trash' even with Jon running around as Superboy, I'm sure there will be a space for Kon, somewhere and somehow.
    Sadly, given New Super-Man's sales I could see the conceptual opening for a brash late-teen/early-twenties member of the Superman family opening up fairly soon (Kara currently has the mid-teen Superfamily member covered). Kon could be the cool older brother to both Jon AND Kara, really.

Incredible Member

Well, Alan Moore gave Lois and Clark a son named Jonathan waaaaay back in "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?" in 1986.

So we've had a few Jonathans who were Clois sons. I prefer not to focus on the New 52 Superboy one.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Yeah the name Jon is far from exclusive. It's kind of a no brainer if you think about Superman having one true son, so I wouldn't imagine that Jurgens needed a mandate or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris24601 View Post
    Sadly, given New Super-Man's sales I could see the conceptual opening for a brash late-teen/early-twenties member of the Superman family opening up fairly soon (Kara currently has the mid-teen Superfamily member covered). Kon could be the cool older brother to both Jon AND Kara, really.
    I don't think there's a very high chance giving up on Kenan soon. They still have Jamie Reyes and Ryan Choi, after all.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Gerard View Post
    Well, Alan Moore gave Lois and Clark a son named Jonathan waaaaay back in "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?" in 1986.
    Really? I recall Lois' son (by Jordan Elliot) in WHttMoT as having the name C(K)alvin.