Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Elements from various origins I'd like to see in the Post-Reborn version

Thought now would be the most apt time to lay it out-

(I'm sticking to the 'modern' post-1986 origins)

Man of Steel

-Lana Lang being in on the secret since Smallville.

-Clark scooping Lois on the first exclusive with Superman.

-Lois giving Clark the name 'Superman'.

-Clark only learning his full Kryptonian origins after becoming Superman.

-Clark secretly using his powers to help people before officially debuting in Metropolis.

-Superman saving an aircraft carrying Lois as his first (or one of his first) public appearances.

Birthright

-Clark's travels abroad in Africa and elsewhere, visiting active warzones and using his powers to help people there.

-Lex hiding his time in Smallville and refusing to recognize Clark Kent when he meets him in Metropolis.

-Clark and his adoptive parents designing the Superman suit based on images from holographic records in the rocket-ship.

-The symbol of the House of El meaning 'Hope'.

Secret Origins

-Clark being shown the rocketship in his mid-teens and learning he is extraterrestrial (but not the exact nature of his origins).

-Clark operating as a member of the Legion of Superheroes in the future as 'Superboy'.

Men of Steel

-Clark not being able to fly properly till adulthood, and using a Legion flight ring when working with the LOSH in the future.

-Superman initially being perceived as a vigilante and 'Champion of the Oppressed' targeting corrupt politicians and business moguls.

-Lex Luthor being hired by the military to investigate Superman.

-Clark having vague memories of Krypton and his birth parents that come to him in dreams.

-The idea of Kryptonite being a fuel source on Krypton.

Add T-shirt and Jeans look when he started out.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Thought now would be the most apt time to lay it out-

(I'm sticking to the 'modern' post-1986 origins)

Man of Steel

-Lana Lang being in on the secret since Smallville.

-Lois giving Clark the name 'Superman'.

-Clark secretly using his powers to help people before officially debuting in Metropolis.

-Superman saving an aircraft carrying Lois as his first (or one of his first) public appearances.

Birthright

-Clark's travels abroad in Africa and elsewhere, visiting active warzones and using his powers to help people there.

-Lex hiding his time in Smallville and refusing to recognize Clark Kent when he meets him in Metropolis.

-Clark and his adoptive parents designing the Superman suit based on images from holographic records in the rocket-ship.

-The symbol of the House of El meaning 'Hope'.

Secret Origins

-Clark being shown the rocketship in his mid-teens and learning he is extraterrestrial (but not the exact nature of his origins).

-Clark operating as a member of the Legion of Superheroes in the future as 'Superboy'.

Men of Steel

-Clark not being able to fly properly till adulthood, and using a Legion flight ring when working with the LOSH in the future.

-Superman initially being perceived as a vigilante and 'Champion of the Oppressed' targeting corrupt politicians and business moguls.

-Lex Luthor being hired by the military to investigate Superman.

-Clark having vague memories of Krypton and his birth parents that come to him in dreams.

-The idea of Kryptonite being a fuel source on Krypton.
    I am in agreement with all of these, although I always thought Clark poaching the first Superman story from Lois was a bit underhanded, but I do love that Lois hated Clark when they first met.

The only thing I would add is Birthright's depiction of Luthor in Smallville and his brief friendship with Clark as kindred spirits that ends in tragedy during Lex's ill-fated experiment on Kryptonite. I also loved that young Lex was obsessed with finding extraterrestrial life because he felt so alienated by everyone on Earth thanks to his unparalleled intellect. I really hope they don't go with John's dead-end idea for Lex & Clark knowing each other, but not being friends at all. What's the point of having Lex in Smallville at all then?

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Add T-shirt and Jeans look when he started out.
    Yes. This is such a nice touch that says so much about who he was starting out. And I also think his classic red trunks look should be what he's wearing in the 31st Century with the Legion of Super-Heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Yes. This is such a nice touch that says so much about who he was starting out. And I also think his classic red trunks look should be what he's wearing in the 31st Century with the Legion of Super-Heroes.
    Ok...before or after? Red underpants when he is a kid with LOSH and t-shirt and Jean look when he is starting out in Metropolis?

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

I can't recall that it's ever been used extensively in the comics, but having grown up on the Donner films I have a soft spot for Clark being able to regularly interact with Jor-El via hologram. Maybe that's something that works best on film and television, though.

I prefer Braniac's origin from S:TAS. The idea that he's partially responsible for Krypton's destruction gives him a powerful emotional connection to Superman.

BANNED

Secret Origin:

Lois' comment to Clark that she knew he was hiding something and that he was far more competent than he seemed. It's OK for her to hate him at the start, but she HAS to be observant enough to note that he's enormously competent.

And....jeans and T-shirt look to start off with in Metropolis.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Surprising amount of love for the jeans and t-shirt look.

I prefer the full costume for his official debut.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Surprising amount of love for the jeans and t-shirt look.

I prefer the full costume for his official debut.
    It just feels right for a debut Superman.

Ok...before or after? Red underpants when he is a kid with LOSH and t-shirt and Jean look when he is starting out in Metropolis?
    Yeah. When he's off in the future, he's wearing the full suit and using his Legion flight ring. His memories of his adventures in the future are made fuzzy every time he returns to the present thanks to Saturn Girl's telepathy.

When he first starts out in Metropolis, he's in the t-shirt and jeans look for a couple months before adopting the current costume. Although I would like it if his various other looks were part of his wardrobe, such as the black suit, the Kryptonite armor and so on. I even think he should have sported a quasi-mullet for a few weeks until Lois makes him get a haircut

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Most of these are not exclusive to one version:

- Black Zero begins a clone war and separately plays a role in the ultimate destruction of Krypton
    - scientists on Krypton would have been right had it not been for Black Zero
    - Jor-el was the first to access the Phantom Zone
    - baby Kal is a roughneck
    - Krypto gets lost attacking Xa-Du
    - Jor-el targets Sol
    - Space travel not banned, Jor-El is merely the first one to create the warp
    - Beppo disappeared in a failed experiment
    - Clark is looked down on for being a farm kid
    - Pa teaches him to fight but is shocked when he does. Clark quits football after injuring another kid.
    - forgets Legion adventures with flight ring
    - young Lex is sleazy as he was in Birthright
    - 'S' stands for Superman
    - starts at Golden Age powers and quickly advances
    - debuts outside the law but forms friendship with Henderson and new transplant Sawyer
    - learns origins during his career
    - flight amps telekinesis
    - gov't steals rocket and creates Metallo. Lex steals Metallo

It just feels right for a debut Superman.
    I've always felt it seemed more Superboy-ish then Superman, but that might just be me projecting Conner into it .

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

The \S/ being a kryptonian family crest meaning "hope"
    The suit being kryptonian
    Superman debuts in full suit after an alien invasion (Braniac)

Fantastic Member

I'd like Clark to be best buddies with Pete Ross during his Smallville years and have him in on the secret along with Lana.

It would be great if they stayed close throughout the years and acted like brothers from other mothers.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I've always felt it seemed more Superboy-ish then Superman, but that might just be me projecting Conner into it .
    More like a "family" tradition....