Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default 616 Green Goblin or Ultimate Green Goblin

Which goblin do you prefer and should marvel use the ultimate goblin instead of the classic look?

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

616 Goblins FTW.

The Ultimate Goblins all look like fire-breathing hulks with horns.

I'm a really big fan of Ultimate, so I have zero problems with the "Goblin-Hulk." I also have to concede that the classic Green Goblin costume looks silly (I like how the Spectacular cartoon modified it for its series; it kept the basic idea but didn't look silly to me).

I guess my opinion is get the Norman Osborn character right, and everything else is okay; the thing that made Ultimate Green Goblin good wasn't how he looked but the characterization.

BANNED

616 Green Goblin all the way. He also looked dope redesigned in Marvel Knights: SM.

Don't like what I've seen of Ultimate Goblin at all. But Ultimate Norman is one nasty mofo.

Incredible Member Sensational C's Avatar

I prefer 616 as a goblin as big Ultimate just makes me think he should have changed his name to the green ogre.
    In addition, Ultimate's bulky look visually told the reader his strength was his greatest weapon which Spider-Man can just avoid like he does the with Rhino, while 616 with the glider, pumpkin bombs, purse, etc informs that his tricks and mind are his greatest threats, that his variety and range of attacks could be a match for Peter's abilities.

Ultimate Goblin is just way too similar to Hulk.

Ultimate Green Goblin is a worse character in just about every way.

iMan 42s

Ultimate since I feel a lot of 616 Norman is played out and should've stayed dead (for the most part).
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

As good as Utimate Spider-Man was, the Ultimate Green Goblin was horrid. It was unimaginative and just didn't work in any way for me.

is it wrong to say both designs are crap?

regular goblin is way too... old school comic booky stupid looking

ult goblin is way too hulky
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    is it wrong to say both designs are crap?

regular goblin is way too... old school comic booky stupid looking

ult goblin is way too hulky
    Well, one can then say just about all of Ditko's original designs were similarly "old comic booky stupid looking"-----Mysterio's fishbowl head and Electro's lightning bolt mask must seem/look pretty stupid by today's standards but, for me, they always worked. Maybe it's because I grew up in the 70's reading these stories that they never seemed quite so hokey, just like I never questioned why Hulk's pants stayed on while everything else ripped or why so many of Spidey's foes had a green color scheme going on with their costumes.

So, yeah, it's all a matter of taste but I think the original GG design always worked really well, especially when artists like JR SR or Ross Andru drew their aerial battles.

BANNED

616 Norman stomps.

616 Goblin hands-down.

Hokey and silly as the 616 Goblin looks, it's proven to be a very versatile and iconic costume all the same, and Norman wouldn't be the same without his "mask" like Peter has his.

And it's just not the Goblin without Pumpkin Bombs and a Glider.

Mild-Mannered Reporter BlitheringToot's Avatar

616 is better in every way, in my opinion. I also loved the Marvel Knights redesign--it kept everything that worked about Ditko's design while tweaking what didn't.
    "What would you prefer? Yellow spandex?" – Scott Summers, 2000

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BlitheringToot View Post
    616 is better in every way, in my opinion. I also loved the Marvel Knights redesign--it kept everything that worked about Ditko's design while tweaking what didn't.
    Even the Marvel: Ultimate Alliance II video game got a good take on 616 Norman, as it was set during the events of the first Civil War.

I like this look--still classic Green Goblin, but even more creepy and intimidating.