View Poll Results: What is your preferred post-Reborn status for the Kents?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jonathan and Martha both dead pre-Superman

8 13.33%
  • Jonathan dead pre-Superman, Martha lived longer but eventually died

4 6.67%
  • Jonathan and Martha both lived to see Superman, both eventually died

5 8.33%
  • Jonathan and Martha both lived to see Superman; Jonathan died, Martha lives

10 16.67%
  • Jonathan dead pre-Superman, Martha lives

5 8.33%
  • Jonathan and Martha both alive

27 45.00%
  • Martha's dead, Jonathan is alive

1 1.67%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Post-Reborn status of the Kents?

Given that everything is up for grabs now, how would you prefer it?

Both Jonathan and Martha die before Clark becomes Superman: Basically the Pre-COIE and New 52 version. Either they die naturally, in a car accident or they can retain the part where Vyndkytv had something to do with their deaths.

Jonathan died pre-Superman, Martha lived longer but eventually died: Something akin to the Donnerverse Superman movies. This allows Martha to have been around to see her son become a world-renowned hero, meet his future wife, possibly even meet her grandchild.

Jonathan and Martha both lived to see Superman, both eventually died: Basically, the Post-COIE status of the Kents living to see Clark becoming Superman remained - except that they both eventually died, which may or may not have been before Jon was born.

Jonathan and Martha both lived to see Superman, Jonathan eventually died, Martha's alive: Picking up directly from the pre-Flashpoint status quo. It also means that Martha has miraculously returned to life and will be a presence in the books moving forward!

Jonathan died pre-Superman, Martha lives: This is currently the status quo in the DCEU. It retcons pre-Flashpoint, but leaves Martha alive to remain a presence moving forward.

Jonathan and Martha both live: The predominant pre-Flashpoint status restored fully. It means both Ma and Pa Kent remain a presence in the books moving forward.

Martha is dead, Jonathan is alive: Subsuming all the variations of this unprecedented move into one option. Its something that hasn't been tried before and I don't specifically see the merit in it but its worth considering for the sake of completion.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

I love the Kents, want them back for good and alive!

I want them both to have been alive when he became Superman. It kinda feels cruel if they died before seeing their son become the world's greatest hero. Beyond that I don't have strong feelings about it. I think Johnathan at least should be dead of a heart attack, since I like that Clark had to accept that with all his powers he couldn't save him. Martha I think i prefer alive, but it doesn't really matter either way. She's already fulfilled her part in the Superman mythos. Some people here mentioned that there is more story/character potential General Sam Lane being still alive and having to deal with having a half-alien grandson, maybe put him on the path to redemption, and I agree there is a good character arc there.
    Last edited by FishyZombie; 03-24-2017 at 02:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by failo.legendkiller View Post
    I love the Kents, want them back for good and alive!
    That makes two of us.

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    I want them both to have been alive when he became Superman. Beyond that I don't have strong feelings about it. I think Johnathan at least should be dead of a heart attack, since I like that Clark had to accept that with all his powers he couldn't save him. Martha I think i prefer alive, maybe, but it doesn't really matter either way. She's already fulfilled her part in the Superman mythos. Some people here mentioned that there is more story/character potential General Sam Lane being still alive and having to deal with having a half-alien grandson, maybe put him on the path to redemption, and I agree there is a good character arc there.
    It would be fun if he found out he has a half-alien grandson.
    Last edited by The Learner; 03-24-2017 at 02:50 AM.

BANNED

I kind of want Martha to have had a hand in giving Lois and Clark their Hamilton home, like maybe it was a summer site for her and Johnathan and she maybe left it to them in their will. There could have been potential to the people of Hamilton being familiar with the Kents and welcoming Lois and Clark into their community, Kathy's grandad could have had ties to Johnathan as an old friend too.

It would make departing Hamilton to go back to Metropolis more emotional for Clark, not just Jon and the sort of problems you face moving away from your best friend

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I kind of want Martha to have had a hand in giving Lois and Clark their Hamilton home, like maybe it was a summer site for her and Johnathan and she maybe left it to them in their will. There could have been potential to the people of Hamilton being familiar with the Kents and welcoming Lois and Clark into their community, Kathy's grandad could have had ties to Johnathan as an old friend too.

It would make departing Hamilton to go back to Metropolis more emotional for Clark, not just Jon and the sort of problems you face moving away from your best friend
    The only problem with that is, what happened to the Kent farm then? Surely THAT is what Martha would have left Lois and Clark in her will.

I sincerely hope that one day, Clark can take Jon to the old farm and the house where he grew up. Maybe even show him the rocketship (depending on what happened to it).

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I don't really care which way they go story wise with this, honestly. They could be dead or alive. I now some can make a argument on why they are important for Clark to have, but as just saw the past few years with both new 52 and pfp Superman, you can still tell great stories without Clark having to go to that forum.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I don't really care which way they go story wise with this, honestly. They could be dead or alive. I now some can make a argument on why they are important for Clark to have, but as just saw the past few years with both new 52 and pfp Superman, you can still tell great stories without Clark having to go to that forum.
    I think it was important back when Clark didn't really have a family. Now, he's not only got Lois, but he's got a son of his own. So its not THAT important for him to still have his parents. But it'd be great nonetheless.

I'd like to think that amidst all the craziness that is his life as Superman, its nice for Clark to have people he can talk to who know and love him as Clark Kent first and foremost and who ground him in this world. I love the idea that he lives this insane life where he's a reporter chasing leads in Metropolis, a superhero fighting aliens and monsters and super-villains, a member of the Justice League, a husband and a father to a super-powered human/alien hybrid son, but can still fly to his childhood home and hang out with his parents.

I rather they stay dead tbh. I will wait for Ascended or manofsteel to explain perfectly why.

Jonathan Kent dying of a heart attack just doesn't jive with Modren medicine, health food trends, and exercise plus a guy with access to alien technology. This version of Jonathan and Martha should only be in their late sixties and still fit so should very much be alive as should Lana's parents. History was changed so freaking change it all. Go big or go home.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Sure, dead Pa is a good compromise. I don't have a strong preference in any case but I like for him to have people outside of his household who know. With a dead Pa you still have a parent, and an older male figure in Perry. The people who dig the idea of dead parents are halfway there. I think it's fine to try giving Superman a larger female cast.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

I like them both being alive, and I feel like the concept of them dying was conceived at a time when it was less common for a thirty to forty year old to have two living parents.

But with lifespans and quality of life being what they are today, it makes perfect sense for them to be alive and well.

It also increases the contrast between the Kents and the Els.

the kents keep clark human. I remember when jonathan kent died in smallville and the show immediately lost something. bring em back.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Both dead pre-Superman.