View Poll Results: What is your preferred post-Reborn status for the Kents?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jonathan and Martha both dead pre-Superman

8 13.33%
  • Jonathan dead pre-Superman, Martha lived longer but eventually died

4 6.67%
  • Jonathan and Martha both lived to see Superman, both eventually died

5 8.33%
  • Jonathan and Martha both lived to see Superman; Jonathan died, Martha lives

10 16.67%
  • Jonathan dead pre-Superman, Martha lives

5 8.33%
  • Jonathan and Martha both alive

27 45.00%
  • Martha's dead, Jonathan is alive

1 1.67%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jyamen View Post
    the kents keep clark human. I remember when jonathan kent died in smallville and the show immediately lost something. bring em back.
    How do they keep him human?
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Superman isn't human. So there's nothing human about him to keep. The Kents made him a great MAN. And they don't need to still be alive to keep him a great man. Once its done, its done. They did a great job raising him and that cannot be removed, be it by their absence into his adult years or by any outside corruption. The idea that they need to be around to keep him the great person he is would in fact be a disservice to his character.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Superman isn't human. So there's nothing human about him to keep. The Kents made him a great MAN. And they don't need to still be alive to keep him a great man. Once its done, its done. They did a great job raising him and that cannot be removed, be it by their absence into his adult years or by any outside corruption. The idea that they need to be around to keep him the great person he is would in fact be a disservice to his character.
    The Kents gave him a grounded connection to Earth and Humanity. In the Pre-Crisis era in particular Superman was always dreaming and longing for Krypton and never truly having a home on Earth an element he had post crisis and on film with them. But now while having the Kent's would be nice it's also not really that necessary that much either given he has Lois and Jon for that.

yup I agree with this. Like I said they technically already played their role in the Superman mythos, which is why them being alive or dead more or less inconsequential to Clark as a character. Doesn't mean they can't nessessarilly be serviceable supporting characters , but them being gone doesn't mean Clark will suddenly stop being the man they raised him to be.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    So...

I think there are advantages or disadvantages to both having them alive or dead. While I grew up with a Superman in which both were alive, and am used to it to the point having them around isn't offensive to me,I tend to side with the creators of Supes on most things, and they had them die for a reason.I do see the point people make that Superman doesn't need his earth parents to die to motivate him,which is true ,but that's not the point of it. The point is to remind Clark that while he is powerful and can avert disasters and save lives, there are some lives he can't save,and things he cannot control. There are other ways to have Supes learn this first hand,but having it be his parents is powerful and a good short hand tool to get that across. Plus, it's something all of us have to go through eventually either now or later. Superman shouldn't get a pass.

I didn't like the way Morrison did it in his MEN OF STEEL origin, as I think if the Kents die it should be because of something that Superman couldn't stop with all of his powers, i.e. illness. Cancer....heart attack...something super speed or flight or strength can't solve.

However, the idea of one of the parents living at least into Clarks adulthood has pretty much been the case of nearly every live action and modern animated version, going all the way back to at least George Reeves...so that's like 60 years worth of other media.

So, given this is a new compromise continuity, I'd say have Jonathan die either just prior to Clark leaving Smallville and have Ma live for awhile until recently, or just keep her around. That's how George Reeves series did it, The Donner films and Superman Returns did it, SMALLVILLE did it and MAN OF STEEL/BvS did it.
    Very well said. I think Jonathan dying just prior to Clark leaving Smallville and have Martha live.

Incredible Member

I agree with you.

I prefer if Martha is still alive. I love the moments in the comics and in the films when the most powerful being on the planet gets to spend some time with his mom. Just the idea of this sun god going back to the farm to get a home cooked meal and having his mother fret over him is just great. No matter how powerful he is Clark will always be her baby. That was one of my favorite moments from BvS when the weight of the world was on his shoulders Superman called his mom for support and comfort. If they want to "humanize" Superman I don't like getting rid of the Kents is a good idea. They're a huge facet of his life.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    The Kents gave him a grounded connection to Earth and Humanity. In the Pre-Crisis era in particular Superman was always dreaming and longing for Krypton and never truly having a home on Earth an element he had post crisis and on film with them. But now while having the Kent's would be nice it's also not really that necessary that much either given he has Lois and Jon for that.
    Yes they did. And they don't need to still be alive for him to maintain that connection. He needed it in his developmental years just like everyone else, and he got that. It can't be minimized or taken away, because Superman is Superman. To suggest he needs others to keep him "grounded" now as a fully grown man is a disservice to him, and one of the biggest mistakes DC continuously makes with him. One of the things life is about is about loss. He knows that, he's experienced that, and he overcomes. He'll never be completely grounded because he's not meant to be grounded. He's a man from the stars and in a way that's where he belongs. To and of everything. He's larger than life. So I've always thought grounded was a terrible phrase to use to describe his love of Earth. His love of his adopted home and its people, his compassion, and his never-ending battle to protect it is engrained because he was raised that way on top of just being in general a kind and gentle being. That's just inherent to his soul. He doesn't need the constant presence of his parents to keep it. He doesn't need Lois to keep it. He doesn't need his son to keep it. It just is.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-24-2017 at 08:09 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Yes they did. And they don't need to still be alive for him to maintain that connection. He needed it in his developmental years just like everyone else, and he got that. They gave it to him, and that's that. It can't be minimized or taken away, because Superman is Superman. To suggest he needs others to keep him "grounded" is a disservice to him, and one of the biggest mistakes DC continuously makes with him. Life is about loss. He knows that, he's experienced that, and he overcomes.
    I never said they grounded him they gave him that as child which he carried with him into adulthood. I said they gave him a home a place where when the world was crashing in he could go and be himself not Clark the reporter or Superman the hero he could just be Clark their son. Again it was an element he was missing in the Silver Age and gained Post Crisis but again while I'd love to see them and more of that relationship and seeing the Kents with their grandson and seeing Clark with his family they are needed either given Clark has found that with Lois and Jon. But it would be nice to see them if not for that just because they were good characters too.

Ah, I getcha. But to me that home that he could go to when things came crashing down served as a debilitating crutch for the character back in the day. It did little more than make him look weak most of the time. Bringing that back would be a big mistake. Besides he's got a family of his own now. I can only hope its not used as that same crutch that the farm was used as in the 90s.

But hey, I respect your opinion, I don't mean to sound like I don't. You like what you like, I like what I like and its all cool. Just wanted to point that out, I don't mean to sound like I'm trashing all over you. My feeling is no more valid than yours.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-24-2017 at 08:13 PM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Exactly.

They both passed away before Clark donned the suit and became Superman. They instilled in him a strong sense of right and wrong, gave him a rock solid foundation- and ultimately taught him that he can't save everyone. Clark still had to find himself. He travels, meets his space dad in some form, and becomes Superman. As great as John and Martha Kent were, and they were wonderful people, they weren't Superman. Nobody but Kal-El is Superman, and nobody else could be.

Superman doesn't need a tether to humanity, he isn't human and never will be. He's just a good man, a kind man, and he is Superman because of that. It's not because of the Kents, or Lois Lane, they are important and fundamental people in his life but he has his own agency and his own glory. I'm also an avid believer that Clark Kent has a life and connections with average people, that is what would make him human.

I do love flashbacks to Pa Kent though, there's no reason that either of them can't be part of the ongoing stories.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 03-24-2017 at 08:25 PM.

I also want them both alive. They're great as supporting cast and I'd love to see them interact with Jon.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

They both should be dead, but I could live with just Pa being dead. This give him a little tragedy, since he never really knew Lara and Jor-El. It was nice to see the Kents alive for a change at first since they were always dead before (outside Superboy stories of course). Superman has his own family now anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    I want them both to have been alive when he became Superman. It kinda feels cruel if they died before seeing their son become the world's greatest hero. Beyond that I don't have strong feelings about it. I think Johnathan at least should be dead of a heart attack, since I like that Clark had to accept that with all his powers he couldn't save him. Martha I think i prefer alive, but it doesn't really matter either way. She's already fulfilled her part in the Superman mythos. Some people here mentioned that there is more story/character potential General Sam Lane being still alive and having to deal with having a half-alien grandson, maybe put him on the path to redemption, and I agree there is a good character arc there.
    The Kents don't add anything that Lois and Jon can't provide now. Clark should grow up, he shouldn't be a child forever. You can keep Ma Kent alive but one of them should be dead for dramatic reasons. The bolded part above was a very poignant moment of the Richard Donner film. The MoS film did its own lesser take of that plot-point as well.

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    They should be dead. He was at his greatest and least angsty when they were gone.
    Quoted for truth!