Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Default How do you guys re-arrange your book shelves when you buy a new book?

I just bought a new Kallax (I now have three large ones) and I'm currently in the process of re-arranging all of my books. However, I started thinking about when I eventually get some new books that fit in (chronologically) older runs of books on the shelves, how am I going to fit them in? Move everything over? (which would take a lot of time), leave some empty space for books that may come out in the future? (which will look messy and weird) or some other way?

How do you guys go about this problem?
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

All-New Member

I've completely rearranged my bookshelves multiple times. It does take time, and you gotta be careful moving larger books, but I usually like the end results better. I tend to let books pile up for a while before shelving them so I'm not moving everything regularly.

All-New Member

Don't really have bookshelves yet, but I have done this for my movies, and cds in years past. I'm an alphabetizer. I organize everything alphabetically. I build in space on each shelf for additions. So my shelves are never "full" but that is by design. I put figures or other mementos in the "holes". Eventually I will have to rearrange my shelves, but this method at least buys me some time, and when I do have to rearrange, usually it is only two shelves that are affected.

Sentinel of Liberty WinterSoldier76's Avatar

Sadly, I spend a lot more time on this task then I'd like to admit. Usually I'll leave room for upcoming books, but with cubed shelving like Expedit & Kallax, it's only a matter of time before you'll add a book to the collection that throws off your shelf uniformity. First world problems I suppose!

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WinterSoldier76 View Post
    Sadly, I spend a lot more time on this task then I'd like to admit. Usually I'll leave room for upcoming books, but with cubed shelving like Expedit & Kallax, it's only a matter of time before you'll add a book to the collection that throws off your shelf uniformity. First world problems I suppose!
    So it's not just me. I thought I was the only one who hadn't figured out some clever way of re-arranging them without much effort.

My problem is I keep buying omnis of old comics and then I don't have room for them. So.....then I have to move everything over and around. Ugh.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    So it's not just me. I thought I was the only one who hadn't figured out some clever way of re-arranging them without much effort.

My problem is I keep buying omnis of old comics and then I don't have room for them. So.....then I have to move everything over and around. Ugh.
    To add to my OCD, my shelves are the discontinued Expedit shelves so I have to acquire them via Craigslist or other secondary market options.

Extraordinary Member

After I decorate my room over in Summer, I will for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by WinterSoldier76 View Post
    To add to my OCD, my shelves are the discontinued Expedit shelves so I have to acquire them via Craigslist or other secondary market options.
    I thought they had a kallix shelf that was very close to the expedit

The way to do it is to pick one book you like on each shelf (or every other shelf or whatever you want) and turn the book so the cover faces out instead of the spine. This makes the shelves look cooler anyway, and has the benefit of allowing you to then turn them back spine-side when you have more books to add.

Incredible Member

I know it is sacrilege to most on here, but this pretty much why I don't have a system. The closest thing I have is one case with doors in my bedroom to prevent something (by something I mean my three year old) happening to my whales. Other than that the most I do is if a sequentially numbered volume comes out I pull the book next to its predecessor and the displaced book goes to the end. All other new books go to the end of the line.
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

I rearrange my Omnis alphabetically, Marvel and DC separately. Events and OHCs have their own section and are sorted chronologically. The exception is Daredevil which I have a separate shelf for and collect chronologically - MMWs, Omnis, OHCs, PHCs and TPBs. Spider-Man also has his own shelf bar the Omnis.

If anything new comes in, I rearrange everything. A bit of a chore but I like rearranging books Unfortunately, I've now run out of space and I'm deliberating what to do

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    The way to do it is to pick one book you like on each shelf (or every other shelf or whatever you want) and turn the book so the cover faces out instead of the spine. This makes the shelves look cooler anyway, and has the benefit of allowing you to then turn them back spine-side when you have more books to add.
    This.

I alphabetise according to publisher...however for certain key writers I will group all of their stuff together. Eg: All of Stan Lee's runs are grouped together at the beginning of my Marvel section to indicate the starting point of the Marvel universe.

I just rearranged my books today, putting them back into bookcases and have done a mix of alphabetical and by publisher with gaps for future purchases. I don't think I left enough space as my amazon cart has 22 books in it atm

Quote Originally Posted by Mormegil View Post
    I thought they had a kallix shelf that was very close to the expedit
    Close. Oh so close.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NZ_InFerno View Post
    I just rearranged my books today, putting them back into bookcases and have done a mix of alphabetical and by publisher with gaps for future purchases. I don't think I left enough space as my amazon cart has 22 books in it atm
    So it looks like you're back to collecting Omnis and OHCs with a vengeance.