Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spectacular Member Huntsman1117's Avatar

Not entirely true. Sure Balent likes his women well-endowed. So does DC co-publisher Jim Lee, who draws his women very provocatively - and no one complains.

BANNED

Balent has grown on me in recent years. There was a time when I was a little put off by Selina's... assets, and her painted on costume, but after what's happened to comic art in recent years and the move towards either overly realistic or overly cartoony and simplistic art, I am much more appreciative of guys like Balent who really knew how to do comic book art right. Albeit with some minor drawbacks.

Spectacular Member

Yes!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    Balent has grown on me in recent years. There was a time when I was a little put off by Selina's... assets, and her painted on costume, but after what's happened to comic art in recent years and the move towards either overly realistic or overly cartoony and simplistic art, I am much more appreciative of guys like Balent who really knew how to do comic book art right. Albeit with some minor drawbacks.
    Why?

(10 chars)
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    Why?

(10 chars)
    Because at the time I was buying into propaganda telling me that artists like Balent were horrible people who's art was sexist and perverted and anyone who likes it should be ashamed. I don't anymore.

Because at the time I was buying into propaganda telling me that artists like Balent were horrible people who's art was sexist and perverted and anyone who likes it should be ashamed. I don't anymore.
    Oh, I see. I appreciate the response. I see this sentiment on the boards all the time, regarding how women are drawn, and it just doesn't compute with me. So I always like to hear what people think about it beyond the "Balent only draws big circles" tripe.

It always amazes me how uncomfortable people here get regarding the female form (not talking about Atlanta here, just in general). It's like a lot of posters have never seen a naked woman before and jiggly parts are scary or something. "She's not drawn realistically! No woman looks like that!" Christy Mack says hello lol

At the end of the day, they're just drawings. Nothing to get upset about. I've purchased some books specifically because of how the women are drawn (shrug). For that matter, so has my fiance (she's a fan of the Grimm Fairy Tales books). They're just drawings and fun to look at. Sex in all its forms should be celebrated, instead of running away from. Anyway, I'm off my soapbox. I really can't wait for this series to come out in fat trades, I enjoyed what little I'd read of it. And yes, part of my purchase will be due to how she is drawn

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

It always amazes me how uncomfortable people here get regarding the female form (not talking about Atlanta here, just in general). It's like a lot of posters have never seen a naked woman before and jiggly parts are scary or something. "She's not drawn realistically! No woman looks like that!" Christy Mack says hello lol
    Just speaking personally, it's the opposite. As someone who's taken both drawing and anatomy classes, wonky anatomy in art irritates me, especially when things are disproportionate or when parts move in ways they can't in reality (with no in-story reason why). So for example, a character with large breasts isn't necessarily bad, but when those breasts don't move correctly or when fabric doesn't interact with them in the right way, it's kind of annoying. Not to the point where I'll refuse to read something, but I will notice it.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Just speaking personally, it's the opposite. As someone who's taken both drawing and anatomy classes, wonky anatomy in art irritates me, especially when things are disproportionate or when parts move in ways they can't in reality (with no in-story reason why). So for example, a character with large breasts isn't necessarily bad, but when those breasts don't move correctly or when fabric doesn't interact with them in the right way, it's kind of annoying. Not to the point where I'll refuse to read something, but I will notice it.
    I can get behind that, from an art perspective. And I also get annoyed particularly when the anatomy doesn't work with sequential artwork during, say, an action scene. My query comes in the form of sexuality-in-art; more "why are so many bothered by large breasts" and less "why don't the breasts move right".

But, on your example of anatomy and how it works on the page, I certainly agree that it has to "move" right. Being disproportional doesn't bother me though...it's just art.
    Last edited by Clark_Kent; 04-11-2017 at 11:21 AM.

BANNED

Oh, I see. I appreciate the response. I see this sentiment on the boards all the time, regarding how women are drawn, and it just doesn't compute with me. So I always like to hear what people think about it beyond the "Balent only draws big circles" tripe.

At the end of the day, they're just drawings. Nothing to get upset about. I've purchased some books specifically because of how the women are drawn (shrug). For that matter, so has my fiance (she's a fan of the Grimm Fairy Tales books). They're just drawings and fun to look at. Sex in all its forms should be celebrated, instead of running away from. Anyway, I'm off my soapbox. I really can't wait for this series to come out in fat trades, I enjoyed what little I'd read of it. And yes, part of my purchase will be due to how she is drawn
    Yeah, I started to change my mind once I started seeing all the personal attacks on artists. All the nasty comments made about J Scott Campbell and Ed Benes saying they were horrible people and deserved to be barred from mainstream comics all because of their art style. The level of vitriol certain people have for art they personally dislike is still baffling to me, there's much bigger problems with the comics industry than the size of Catwoman's breasts.

Yeah, I started to change my mind once I started seeing all the personal attacks on artists. All the nasty comments made about J Scott Campbell and Ed Benes saying they were horrible people and deserved to be barred from mainstream comics all because of their art style. The level of vitriol certain people have for art they personally dislike is still baffling to me, there's much bigger problems with the comics industry than the size of Catwoman's breasts.
    Hear hear! My only gripe with art like that is when the art isn't consistent (breast size changes panel to panel, Superman's height changes panel to panel, etc).

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by JAG2045 View Post
    That would be nice but since this is titled as "By Balent" don't expect anything not by him to be included! (Hopefully there are no fill-in issues done by someone else during his run!)

It would be cool if DC would also release a trade of the pre-Balent/non-Balent miniseries (The Tin Roof Club, Sisters Keeper, Defiant, Catwoman/Wildcat) as well
    I've been reading through vol 1 and been enjoying it so far, but did Leopold and Arizona first appear in any of these mini-series? If not where did they first show up as issue 1 already has them established in Catwoman's life

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JAG2045 View Post
    That would be nice but since this is titled as "By Balent" don't expect anything not by him to be included! (Hopefully there are no fill-in issues done by someone else during his run!)

It would be cool if DC would also release a trade of the pre-Balent/non-Balent miniseries (The Tin Roof Club, Sisters Keeper, Defiant, Catwoman/Wildcat) as well
    Catwoman/Wildcat was collected in Batman/Wildcat not too long agao. Easy to find on Amazon.