Default Best DC bronze age stories available on comixology

Make your recommendations please!

I read bronze age Dr Fate and loved it! Lots of stories in brinze age that I like. I want more!

Thanks!

Jack Kirby's Fourth World (Forever People #1-11, New Gods #1-11, Mister Miracle #1-18)
    -Ahead of it's time, the books were all cancelled apparently because the stories were 'too complex' for readers and had a hard time finding an audience. Mister Miracle lasted a bit longer as he fit more of a traditional superhero mold.
    Pick up New Gods 1984 #6 for the conclusion to New Gods.
    The 1984 New Gods reprint series reprinted New Gods #1-11 in six issues (two per issue), and if you don't care about having them in the original eleven issues you can actually save money as they're the same price ($12 vs. $24 including #6).
    Some trivia: the original Kirby run of New Gods is an 'unofficial' sequel to his run on Thor. The beginning of the issue starts with a mention of Ragnarok, which appears to be the same Ragnarok from Thor #128. And Thor's helmet appears in New Gods #5 as an Easter Egg.
    He was originally going to do New Gods at Marvel but he wasn't going to have the freedom to do what he wanted, which included killing off all the Asgardians. So, when he jumped ship to DC he brought the idea over with him.
    More info here.

Wonder Woman #291-293
    -Featured Wonder Woman teaming up with all the major female heroes of the time. I remember enjoying it.

JLA #183-185
    -One of my favorite JLA/JSA team-ups. Also features the revised New Gods teaming up with the two main groups to fight Darkseid.

JLA #200 and Batman #400
    Two of the best Anniversary issues, IMO.

New Teen Titans #42-44, Annual #3
    -The Judas Contract. However, I'd recommend starting with #1 as everything begins there really with the introductions of Slade, Grant and Terra over the course of the first three years.

Legion of Super-Heroes #290-294
    -The Great Darkness Saga. Darkseid returns to stake claim on the civilized planets. If you like it, I'd recommend going back to #284 and continue from there. The Levitz run on Legion was on par with Titans and X-Men at the time.

All-Star Comics #58 and 59
    -Introduces Power Girl, with her, Star-Spangled Kid and Earth-2 Robin forming a sort of 'unofficial' junior division of the JSA (a sort of precursor to both Infinity, Inc. and Young All-Stars). It was the first JSA story I ever read as my school library had a copy of the digest that reprinted it.

Green Lantern #76-87, 89
    -The classic Dennis O'Neil/Neal Adams run. Interestingly, the series was cancelled at #89, most likely because it also was too complex for readers and dealt with heavy topics (for its time). The duo then moved over to Flash as back-ups in #217-219, however those issues aren't available individually.
    Instead, you could get the digital trade collection, 'Green Lantern/Green Arrow', which includes all the GL issues as well as the Flash back-ups.

Saga of the Swamp Thing #20-50, Annual #2
    -The Alan Moore Swamp Thing was (and still is, IMO) one of the best revivals of characters in comics. And it was such a simple thing really, by changing him from a mutated man with plant-based powers to a mutated plant that thought it was a man with plant-based powers. His run continued into the Modern Age, up to #64. I included the issues up to #50 because the American Gothic storyline that started with #37 (Constantine's first appearance) reaches an epic conclusion that involves Zatanna, Dr. Fate, Demon, Spectre, Phantom Stranger, Deadman and others and gives a major turning point in Zatanna's history.
    However, I do recommend reading up to #64 if you find you like it.
    Aside from the American Gothic storyline, some of my favorite issues were a few of the one-off issues: #28, 32 and 56.
    The American Gothic storyline, itself, was a bit controversial. It was composed mostly of Swamp Thing trekking across America and facing various horrors that were cropping up due to the event. And one vignette, the one with the werewolf, got him a lot of flak.
    However, it was interesting to see him explore the different areas of horror and even take on a fictional version of the Winchester Mystery House in one issue.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 03-25-2017 at 10:29 PM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post

-The Alan Moore Swamp Thing was (and still is, IMO) one of the best revivals of characters in comics. And it was such a simple thing really, by changing him from a mutated man with plant-based powers to a mutated plant that thought it was a man with plant-based powers. His run continued into the Modern Age, up to #64. I included the issues up to #50 because the American Gothic storyline that started with #37 (Constantine's first appearance) reaches an epic conclusion that involves Zatanna, Dr. Fate, Demon, Spectre, Phantom Stranger, Deadman and others and gives a major turning point in Zatanna's history.
    Aside from the American Gothic storyline, some of my favorite issues were a few of the one-off issues: #28, 32, 56.
    The American Gothic storyline, itself, was a bit controversial. It was composed mostly of Swamp Thing trekking across America and facing various horrors that were cropping up due to the event. And one vignette, the one with the werewolf got him a lot of flak.
    However, it was interesting to see him explore the different areas of horror and even take on a fictional version of the Winchester Mystery House in one issue.
    Really amazing stuff. Alan Moore was really on top of his game back then. Comixology has most of the DC comics presents as well. Basically a Superman Team-up book you could pick out cross overs that look up your alley

Satellite Era JLA has some great issues.

Anyone read Arion, Lord of Atlantis? They add an issue each week and I've been thinking of trying it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Anyone read Arion, Lord of Atlantis? They add an issue each week and I've been thinking of trying it out.
    Arion's really good.
    I like that it portrayed magic in more of the classic cosmic variety. If you read the first issue, you'll see what I mean.

I just started picking it up on Comixology, myself, as I missed nearly all of the run when I was younger.
    The series ran for 35 issues and a Special that served as the finale to the run.

I'm hoping that we'll see Amethyst, Arak and the rest of Warlord on Comixology before too long.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 03-25-2017 at 10:31 PM.

I never read Arak either but man did I get excited when you mentioned Warlord. Ran right to Comixology, clicked on the series ready to drop some dough, nooo why only the Legends issues I hope They add them soon as well I'd love a weekly issue of that series.

And thanks for the quick response and review. I'll probably start the series as soon as I finish season 3 of Defiance.

I never read Arak either but man did I get excited when you mentioned Warlord. Ran right to Comixology, clicked on the series ready to drop some dough, nooo why only the Legends issues I hope They add them soon as well I'd love a weekly issue of that series.

And thanks for the quick response and review. I'll probably start the series as soon as I finish season 3 of Defiance.
    No problem.
    Another reason to hope for the Warlord issues: Arion had a back-up run in #55-62 just prior to his ongoing.

The first issue actually continues from Warlord #62, but being the Bronze Age they fill you in through dialogue and narration so you catch up.

Arion's really good.
    I like that it portrayed magic in more of the classic cosmic variety. If you read the first issue, you'll see what I mean.

I just started picking it up on Comixology, myself, as I missed nearly all of the run when I was younger.
    The series ran for 35 issues and a Special that served as the finale to the run.

I'm hoping that we'll see Amethyst, Arak and the rest of Warlord on Comixology before too long.
    Thanks for the info. It was seeng this series on comixology that got me thinking what other bronze age books may be good to check out.

Jack Kirby's Fourth World (Forever People #1-11, New Gods #1-11, Mister Miracle #1-18)
    -Ahead of it's time, the books were all cancelled apparently because the stories were 'too complex' for readers and had a hard time finding an audience. Mister Miracle lasted a bit longer as he fit more of a traditional superhero mold.
    Pick up New Gods 1984 #6 for the conclusion to New Gods.
    The 1984 New Gods reprint series reprinted New Gods #1-11 in six issues (two per issue), and if you don't care about having them in the original eleven issues you can actually save money as they're the same price ($12 vs. $24 including #6).
    Some trivia: the original Kirby run of New Gods is an 'unofficial' sequel to his run on Thor. The beginning of the issue starts with a mention of Ragnarok, which appears to be the same Ragnarok from Thor #128. And Thor's helmet appears in New Gods #5 as an Easter Egg.
    He was originally going to do New Gods at Marvel but he wasn't going to have the freedom to do what he wanted, which included killing off all the Asgardians. So, when he jumped ship to DC he brought the idea over with him.
    More info here.

Wonder Woman #291-293
    -Featured Wonder Woman teaming up with all the major female heroes of the time. I remember enjoying it.

JLA #183-185
    -One of my favorite JLA/JSA team-ups. Also features the revised New Gods teaming up with the two main groups to fight Darkseid.

JLA #200 and Batman #400
    Two of the best Anniversary issues, IMO.

New Teen Titans #42-44, Annual #3
    -The Judas Contract. However, I'd recommend starting with #1 as everything begins there really with the introductions of Slade, Grant and Terra over the course of the first three years.

Legion of Super-Heroes #290-294
    -The Great Darkness Saga. Darkseid returns to stake claim on the civilized planets. If you like it, I'd recommend going back to #284 and continue from there. The Levitz run on Legion was on par with Titans and X-Men at the time.

All-Star Comics #58 and 59
    -Introduces Power Girl, with her, Star-Spangled Kid and Earth-2 Robin forming a sort of 'unofficial' junior division of the JSA (a sort of precursor to both Infinity, Inc. and Young All-Stars). It was the first JSA story I ever read as my school library had a copy of the digest that reprinted it.

Green Lantern #76-87, 89
    -The classic Dennis O'Neil/Neal Adams run. Interestingly, the series was cancelled at #89, most likely because it also was too complex for readers and dealt with heavy topics (for its time). The duo then moved over to Flash as back-ups in #217-219, however those issues aren't available individually.
    Instead, you could get the digital trade collection, 'Green Lantern/Green Arrow', which includes all the GL issues as well as the Flash back-ups.

Aside from the American Gothic storyline, some of my favorite issues were a few of the one-off issues: #28, 32 and 56.
    The American Gothic storyline, itself, was a bit controversial. It was composed mostly of Swamp Thing trekking across America and facing various horrors that were cropping up due to the event. And one vignette, the one with the werewolf, got him a lot of flak.
    Thanks for the details! This is very helpful!

Haha
    Looking at his list and explanations again makes me feel like a lazy poster

Haha
    Looking at his list and explanations again makes me feel like a lazy poster

I'm glad I could help.