Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default AMAZING SPIDER-MAN RENEW YOUR VOWS #5 preview

BANNED

Bouncy Bunny

The Spider-Family are so adorable

So this is the epilogue to Brawl In The Family then.

How can anyone not love this series?

Annie May Parker is quickly becoming one of the best new characters Marvel has created since Kamala Khan.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    How can anyone not love this series?
    Because it's "adorable" to the point of being sickening. It suffers from a critical case of "cute-itis". It's nice, it's sweet but it's SO nice and SO sweet, it's just...eh.

I hope it enjoys a healthy run and sticks around for those who like it (and for the sake of Conway and Stegman who are clearly giving this book their all) but I'm already tapping out on it. I'll eventually pick up #4 to finish out the first arc but after that, we'll see.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

It's Tuesday!!! LOL. Who'd be a superhero parent eh?

Looking forward to getting this.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Because it's "adorable" to the point of being sickening.
    ...Oh I can sense some edge from you alright...

Let us have our fun. I think it's nice to have this kind of thing, why does every Spider-Book have to be necessarily the same in terms of tone? This is a Peter who has it all together and we should have some time for the good things before things start to escalate.

Besides, there's already been some tension in the last issue as Peter and MJ argued a bit over Peter trying to keep everyone safe, even if they made up pretty quickly.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    ...Oh I can sense some edge from you alright...

Let us have our fun. I think it's nice to have this kind of thing, why does every Spider-Book have to be necessarily the same in terms of tone? This is a Peter who has it all together and we should have some time for the good things before things start to escalate.

Besides, there's already been some tension in the last issue as Peter and MJ argued a bit over Peter trying to keep everyone safe, even if they made up pretty quickly.
    Oh, I hope the book can continue indefinitely. I have nothing against people enjoying something that isn't necessarily for me.

My response was only to answer "how could someone not love this series?" - not that to say that the series is bad or shouldn't exist.

It's just too cutesy for my taste. If they added a spider-powered pet to this book, like Webby the Wonder Cat, no one would blink an eye.

Ha ha, their faces. Those were the faces my Mom, or my friends parents would make when we wanted to go to one of those cheap family pizza places.

Because it's "adorable" to the point of being sickening. It suffers from a critical case of "cute-itis". It's nice, it's sweet but it's SO nice and SO sweet, it's just...eh.

I hope it enjoys a healthy run and sticks around for those who like it (and for the sake of Conway and Stegman who are clearly giving this book their all) but I'm already tapping out on it. I'll eventually pick up #4 to finish out the first arc but after that, we'll see.
    If you're looking for something with edge, I could recommend stuff far beyond anything with Spider-Man in it. There's this one manga I read that had a story of a dying 13 year old who used a giant robot to reign destruction down upon the men who had previously raped her (and the innocent people who were around said men at the time) as the other characters could do nothing but beg her to stop her actions.

Or is that too edgy?

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Ha ha, their faces. Those were the faces my Mom, or my friends parents would make when we wanted to go to one of those cheap family pizza places.
    LOL. Yeah, to be young again and not have to think about money or anything else like that I'm soooo not looking forward to the day when my Son does this to me and my Wife LOL.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post

If you're looking for something with edge, I could recommend stuff far beyond anything with Spider-Man in it. There's this one manga I read that had a story of a dying 13 year old who used a giant robot to reign destruction down upon the men who had previously raped her (and the innocent people who were around said men at the time) as the other characters could do nothing but beg her to stop her actions.

Or is that too edgy?
    It's incredibly easy to find edgy material. And some of that is just edgy for the sake of being edgy, which is obnoxious in its own way.

With mainstream superhero books, I think there should be a balance between being "all-ages" but yet not infantile. Not to say that RYV is infantile, per se, but it's just too kiddie-orientated to interest me in the long term - much in the same way that the recent Spidey book was. I sampled that title and thought it was good that it was there for the readers that it was obviously designed for, it just wasn't something that held any real appeal for me.

But I do hope that RYV can hold its own in the marketplace for the people who dig it.

Spectacular Member AmazingFantasy's Avatar

Lovely preview. Can't wait for the actual issue.

It's incredibly easy to find edgy material. And some of that is just edgy for the sake of being edgy, which is obnoxious in its own way.

With mainstream superhero books, I think there should be a balance between being "all-ages" but yet not infantile. Not to say that RYV is infantile, per se, but it's just too kiddie-orientated to interest me in the long term - much in the same way that the recent Spidey book was. I sampled that title and thought it was good that it was there for the readers that it was obviously designed for, it just wasn't something that held any real appeal for me.

But I do hope that RYV can hold its own in the marketplace for the people who dig it.
    I certainly wouldn't argue that edgy for the sake of edgy has its own problems as well (although the manga I referenced actually isn't that, even with the material being as... dark as it is). And certainly one can have their own tastes and can enjoy something that others don't (or vice versa).

When talking about Spider-Man, I think we can acknowledge that there are certain limits to how dark Marvel will allow these stories to be. (There's a reason there was never a Spider-Man MAX series.)

Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

I'm with Prof Warren...he's just answering the loaded question...and he's got nothing personal against the book...and nor have I, I'm getting it, so far......but often you hear the comment "if only RYV was the in-continuity Spider-Man.." (No thanks, not like this!), and Kevinroc that was a bit of a side swipe, saying if you don't like cutesie RYV why don't you go for something with murder and rape in it instead!

RYV is cutesie stuff, it's child orientated, and that's fine..if you enjoy that, good stuff...but it's not for everybody maybe...

Jon

It's a shame Stegman had to take a break, but Stockman is definitely doing some solid work here .

I think the book is definitely a very light, optimistic, and fun book with sweet moments but I don't see it being anymore saccharine then something like Hellcat or Unstoppable Wasp, in fact I'd say its' a fair bit more serious and balanced tonally compared to those books, and certainly it's filling that niche for the Spider-books in a good way.

Plus we've got a well-written Peter and MJ who feel like Peter and MJ again, and Peter's not written with the "emotional maturity of a 15 year old," so that's great.

Nice seeing Rhino, Boomerang, and Shocker in the bar .

Conway's villains are certainly...eccentric. Then again, it's Sandman, he's never been the brightest or most emotionally mature bulb (at least when he's a villain) .