Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by YounG03 View Post
    I think the black Green lantern is more iconic nowadays....Stewart
    Probably depends on what you mean by "iconic".

If you grew up in that age group that regularly watched the Justice League/Justice League Unlimited series that originally ran from 2001-2006, you might be right. But generations before that are probably more familiar with white Hal Jordan, and he even had a movie (2011) and an animated series (late 2011-early 2013) himself more recently than John Stewart. (And Hal also showed up in Batman: The Brave and the Bold animated series before that.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by YounG03 View Post
    I agree. Barry seem way more confident and together than TV flash
    That's because the tradition in comics is to put the focus on the costumes, powers, and fights, whereas dramatic TV is more about the personalities and relationships. So that's why the heroes are more fallible on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycwave View Post
    Long haired/bearded Aquaman is the pits. Hopefully it goes away soon.

I feel the same. I hated Orin the Barbarian.

Aquaman's classic look is just as important to me as Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman's are.

While it isn't a deal breaker for me, I would like to see the movie version morph a little closer to classic Aquaman.
    Batman - Daredevil

I have to agree with Soccerguy. Hasn't it been established that blonde hair is a genetic trait denoting Atlantean royal lineage? Arthur's mother was blond, as was his maternal grandfather. This is much along the same lines as Atlanteans such as Garth (Aqualad) being seen as members of an outcast sect due to their purple irises.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCarrot View Post
    I have to agree with Soccerguy. Hasn't it been established that blonde hair is a genetic trait denoting Atlantean royal lineage? Arthur's mother was blond, as was his maternal grandfather. This is much along the same lines as Atlanteans such as Garth (Aqualad) being seen as members of an outcast sect due to their purple irises.
    I'm no expert becuse i just read Aquaman: Sub diego stuff and i'm at new 52 Aquaman vol. 6 but i read the description of ''Aquaman: The Atlantis Chronicles Deluxe Edition'' on Amazon and that was something quite opposite.

The Description:

From the Eisner Award-winning author, Peter David comes the epic history of not only one of DC's most iconic characters, but also of all the mythical Atlantis. The Atlantean society had been shrouded in mystery with the surface dwellers of the DC Universe barely even aware of its existence until Aquaman came along. Unbeknownst to the humans above, Atlantis had been beneath the surface of the ocean for thousands of years, with history spanning massive generations. Discover that secret history, discover why Atlantis sank in the Great Deluge, and discover why Atlanteans hate blond hair.

So Atlantians hate Blonde hair ? It seems there are two different takes. What you read and The Cronicles of Atlantis. I wonder which one is canon ?
    Last edited by Batarang; 03-28-2017 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinr View Post
    I don't think dc will go in that direction, especially with rebirth, the most I can see happening is they match his costume with that from the movie (like they did with Wonder Woman), otherwise I think the comics and the movies will remain different in that sense.
    Maybe for Mamoas Aquaman, Atlanteans would hate olive skin instead of blonde hair.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCarrot View Post
    Don't forget Gamamnae

Quote Originally Posted by soccerguy951 View Post
    I would think that him being blonde is more central to the character than the beard or no beard debate. In past runs, it was linked to him being an outcast in Atlantis and to his royal ancestry.
    I've never really gotten this logic. People seem to use it a lot. I think the character is more than just "he's blond" and if it is part of his ancestral heritage then just make his black hair part of his heritage. Aquaman is a fictional character, it's not that hard

Quote Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
    I find it weird people strongly prefer one version or the other. I think he looks awesome as both. Clean-shaven and short-haired he looks orderly, general-like, and noble. When bearded and long-haired he looks more mythical, hardened, and brutal.

Can we just go back to this? It's by far my favorite version. As much as liked Reis' Aquaman he looked like a Wall Street investment banker for Goldman Sachs.

Incredible Member

I'm loving Momoa's Aquaman so far.

Granted I've only read Aquaman from the New 52 onwards, where he's pretty much had 0 personality and looked really lame (in my opinion).

BANNED

No idea what appearance has to do with personality... the fact the biggest is argument is that he should like King Arthur who doesn't really look like Captain Hook mind you suggest imitation is better than having your own unique look.

I'm fine with long hair or short. The hook hand should never come back though.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I vote for bearded Aquaman.
    He just seems more mythic and majestic, probably because it calls up images of King Arthur.
    Actually it made him seem more like Neptune, which played into the whole League as modern Pantheon thing that Morison was riffing on in his JLA run. I also prefer long haired Aquaman.

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    No idea what appearance has to do with personality...
    When you're a King you can look any way you want, you set the standards. Why would Aquaman conform to corporate business dress codes or societal norms for a society he doesn't rule?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    When you're a King you can look any way you want, you set the standards. Why would Aquaman conform to corporate business dress codes or societal norms for a society he doesn't rule?
    Why would a guy who grew up on land, an American town at that and leader of an advanced nation. Dress like a shirtless barbarian.

Why should Aquaman look like a Poseidon mimic. It sounds unoriginal and doesn't give him a distinct look. Superman's analogue is suppose to be Zeus Noone thinks he should look more like the thunder God though. Superman's trademark is an s curl not long hair and a beard. Aquaman's is his gold/orange and green.

And no King's can't look however they want. They're set to a standard and they're criticized heavily if they oppose it. Aquaman would experience this in the PAD run.
    Last edited by MadFacedKid; 03-29-2017 at 12:12 PM.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

The biggest problem with the classic Aquaman looks is simple. The colors. Green and yellow are just not appealing to the eye in most cases. At least not the bright green and yellow. Almsot every character that has that color scheme suffers from it.