Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    In the UK hardly anything's been released, which is why it's such a big deal that this Criterion set will also get a region B release!
    Wait, there will be a Region B release for this collection? Is there any confirmation for this or pre-order option? Could't find anything by myself.
    Have been waiting for ages for such a collection here in Germany.

^ Criterion has been releasing some stuff in the UK market. Someone asked if this would extend to the Godzilla set, and they responded that a region B release would follow soon; in November if all goes as planned.

Well, it's official: the team behind Shin Godzilla will be reinventing another classic japanese tokusatsu franchise - a new movie called Shin Ultraman!

https://en.tsuburaya-prod.co.jp/news/1397

Well, it's official: the team behind Shin Godzilla will be reinventing another classic japanese tokusatsu franchise - a new movie called Shin Ultraman!

https://en.tsuburaya-prod.co.jp/news/1397
    "Shin Godzilla gave Anno the opportunity to give us a weird as hell take on Godzilla that was as grim as it was occasionally bonkers, so seeing what he can do with Ultraman’s alien absurdity—not just the legacy of different Ultra heroes from across the franchise’s vast history, but the series’ weird, less-superheroic roots in the alien-investigation series Ultra Q—is going to be an interesting thing to look out for. We’ll bring you more on Shin Ultraman as we learn it."

That has me excited!
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Holy moly. Mill Creek's release schedule for their Ultraman home video releases is insane:

https://mobile.twitter.com/resurrect...26180982083584

Ultraseven, Ultraman Orb (series + movie), and Ultraman Geed (series + movie) before the end of this year, and 8 more releases planned for next Spring and Summer!

For those getting the classic Ultra Blu-Rays (Ultra Q and Ultraman come out tomorrow) prepare to complete the spine mural on the '60s - '70s series!

https://mobile.twitter.com/MillCreek...35947364982784

See Ultraseven and Alien Metron's arms peaking into view?

Newer shows (Ultraman Orb and Ultraman Geed come out next month) will have a separate, distinct design scheme.

Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to introduce... Shin Ultraman!

http://www.scifijapan.com/Ultraman/shin-ultraman04.jpg

After the drastic, horrific redesign Godzilla received in Shin Godzilla no doubt many are surprised by the fact Ultraman looks like he just stepped out of his original 1966 series, but in fact the two designs have a very similar genesis: they are both based on early concept art that predated the final, original designs back in the day. Shin Ultraman is based on lead character designer Toru Narita's concept of Ultraman before practical concessions (eye holes) and last minute plot additions (Ultraman's iconic color timer) were added back in 1966.

Bin Furuya, the original Ultraman suit actor, is also a inspiration for this design, as it closely mimics his unique, lanky build.

Astonishing Member

I know this would be a better fit for one of the comics threads, but I thought some kaiju fans would be interested too. There's a very offbeat kaiju related manga series titled Kaiju Girl Caramelise. It's basically a shojo romance about a gloomy, withdrawn girl who turns into a kaiju when her emotions are running too high. Strange, I know. But very entertaining. The side characters are great. The idea of turning into a kaiju being basically a metaphor for when a teenager feels like her life is out of control is on point. I know it's not for everyone, but check it out if you think it sounds good.
    KaijuGirlCaramelise.jpg

Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to introduce... Shin Ultraman!

http://www.scifijapan.com/Ultraman/shin-ultraman04.jpg

After the drastic, horrific redesign Godzilla received in Shin Godzilla no doubt many are surprised by the fact Ultraman looks like he just stepped out of his original 1966 series, but in fact the two designs have a very similar genesis: they are both based on early concept art that predated the final, original designs back in the day. Shin Ultraman is based on lead character designer Toru Narita's concept of Ultraman before practical concessions (eye holes) and last minute plot additions (Ultraman's iconic color timer) were added back in 1966.

Bin Furuya, the original Ultraman suit actor, is also a inspiration for this design, as it closely mimics his unique, lanky build.
    This image reminds me of how he looked in the leaked "trailer" from 2016.

Could have been a concept trailer, in hindsight.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    I know this would be a better fit for one of the comics threads, but I thought some kaiju fans would be interested too. There's a very offbeat kaiju related manga series titled Kaiju Girl Caramelise. It's basically a shojo romance about a gloomy, withdrawn girl who turns into a kaiju when her emotions are running too high. Strange, I know. But very entertaining. The side characters are great. The idea of turning into a kaiju being basically a metaphor for when a teenager feels like her life is out of control is on point. I know it's not for everyone, but check it out if you think it sounds good.
    KaijuGirlCaramelise.jpg
    Sounds cool. Teenage version of "Colossal", kinda.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kai "the spy" View Post
    Sounds cool. Teenage version of "Colossal", kinda.
    Kinda. More of a romance than Colossal. It's kind of a demographic-bender. It runs in the magazine Comic Alive which is aimed at young men, yet it's clearly playing out as a girls' romance. One funny thing is that sometimes she develops kaiju traits like claws, spines or a tail while still being mostly human. So, she'll be going around school trying to hide her tail or something.

I still haven't finished the Ultraman blu-ray set and I asked for the Showa Godzilla box set for Christmas.

So disappointed Ultraman did not make an appearance in Ready Player One. Stupid lawsuit!
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Is that picture supposed to look like bad Photoshop?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Trailer for a small independent Kaiju comedy:

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kai "the spy" View Post
    Trailer for a small independent Kaiju comedy:
    Okay, I don't understand Japanese but . . . is this movie about cooking and eating kaiju? There were a lot of shots of food and I swear I heard the phrase "kaiju gourmet".

^ Bingo. "Gourmet" is in the title.

There's another Japanese kaiju movie coming up, also an unconventional comedy (dramedy?), but this time with two big studios (and presumably a much bigger budget) behind it:

https://m.facebook.com/august.ragone...58181560543185