Default Looking to switch to a Streaming service(s), looking for opinions.

Hey forum posters,

I currently have verizon and I'm looking to switch to a streaming service. Because the amount I'm paying is obscene and there is never nothing on.
    I do have access to Netflix, but I've been looking at Sling and Hulu.
    I'm looking to be able to get network channels and newer movie releases.
    Your experience/suggestions on these or any other service would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

In my humble opinion, Hulu is pretty darn good for TV shows, from classic shows from the 60's right up to today's Nielsen winners. When it comes to streaming network shows or sports live (if you're into sports like I am), I've been using PlayStation Vue for the last several months and it's worked well for me. A recent streaming service I've gotten hooked on is Britbox which shows boatloads of comedies, mysteries and documentaries along with classic Doctor Who (Doctors 1 thru 8) from the BBC and ITV. I hope this was of help.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

I have amazon, netflix and hulu and use all three. I also got a roku device and can stream them plus the cw app and the fx app on it. Love it to pieces
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

I prefer Netflix and Hulu. I use Vudu for new movies.

I dropped Amazon due to their crap audio encoding. Ugh.

Hulu is great for TV. Netflix has more originals and movies. Super popular new stuff won't show up unless you pay for it on places like Amazon or Vudu.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 10-21-2017 at 05:21 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I prefer Netflix and Hulu. I use Vudu for new movies.

I dropped Amazon due to their crap audio encoding. Ugh.

Hulu is great for TV. Netflix has more originals and movies. Super popular new stuff won't show up unless you pay for it on places like Amazon or Vudu.
    Yeah but Amazon has a lot of stuff Hulu and Netflix doesn't
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    Yeah but Amazon has a lot of stuff Hulu and Netflix doesn't
    Amazon's enormous selection of Rifftrax and Shaw Brothers kung fu films is the best thing about it.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

I can't comment on the others, but in addition to having Directv, I also get Netflix, mostly for the original shows like Stranger Things, the MU Defenders, DD, Jessica Jones, etc.

For only $10 a month, it's still a bargain. Plus, they have a lot of other shows and movies.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Thanks for the suggestions/comments. Seems Hulu is very popular. Also going to look into that Roku device.

i have a roku and subs to sling and netflix. done hulu didn't care for it. sling is great for good old fashioned channel surfing, something i didn't really think i'd miss until it was gone. only problem is no local channels.

We have Netflix, Hulu, Amazon (Just a side effect for the 2 day free shipping), and Playstation Vue. Vue gets us the channel surfing since BigLbo mention as well as some of the sports channels that we watch like MLB Network, NFL Network, ESPN 1, 2, and News as well as the Big 10 Network and gives me my TCM. It's a little on the pricier side, 44 dollars a month while Sling is about 20 dollars less for the service that we had in the past. The last year, we've also subscribed to NHL Center Ice, NFL Sunday Ticket and MLB.TV because our teams are out of market (Maple Leafs, Blue Jays for me and the Cleveland Indians and Browns for her).

At this point, we're spending probably about as much as someone who doesn't cut the cord would do, but it's more customizable and I feel like I'm better spending my money. Playstation Vue is probably getting cut once College Football is over in December and we'll go back to Sling, but one of its benefits is a free DVR service. That's nice.

Just cut out cable and have been using Sling TV & Netflix which i watch on the Roki. Working great so far!

Anytime I have a show coming up on HBO or Showtime, I just purchase the channel through Amazon and cancel when the show ends.

CBS all Access is the only legitimate streaming site! Watch some of the greatest shows and movies in history such as every episode of I Love Lucy, The Big Bang Theory and the break-out hit, Star Trek Discovery! Priced at $5.99 per month ($9.99 with an option for advertising-free streaming content).
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by BigLbo View Post
    only problem is no local channels.
    Get an antenna, there are fairly cheap indoor or outdoor models depending on your needs and it's a one time purchase with no subscriptions.

Your best best bet is to do wresearch and see for yourself. Each streaming service offers different things and services. Hulu you can go add free and even add things like HBO and show time. Netflix is great Amazon is pretty good as well, but unless you have prime you are going to be paying for a lot of what you watch and even then their selection isn't all that great I did a free month of prime for needing something quickly recently and browsing through Hulu, netflix and amazon there wasn't much difference. Amazon had some shows but even then their most current seasons they charrged for. Like True Blood had all the seasons to watch for free except the last, same with Teen wolf. Their movies selection where nearly identical to Hulu. A lot of the movies that were exclusive to Amazon were movies as an adult you probably dont want to watch anyways a lot of kiddy movies and such. My personal choice is Netflix and Hulu I have both. Other then that, you can try other things.

Astonishing Member

If you're anything like me or various other people, you'll probably end up using various services or (again like me) using the services subscribed to by friends and relatives. One suggestion I'm going to throw out there is to not ignore the streaming services that are free with ads, even if you just use them supplementally. Pluto TV has a unique approach where they have multiple channels that are continuously streaming like regular old cable TV. It's just that every channel is much more specialized. There's also Tubi which is handy for watching retro stuff from the '70s, '80s and '90s as well as some more modern stuff. It's become a big hit with fans of schlocky horror films. Personally, I like it for all their retro cartoons.