Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member AnimalSquabbles's Avatar

Default Kaiju Appreciation

With all the recent kaiju stuff going on (Kong: Skull Island, Monsters Unleashed) it'd be nice to have an appreciation thread for kaiju discussion. Did a search and didnt find one. Kong and Godzilla both have comics from independant publishers so i guess this is the best spot. Let's get it going.

To start things off right, here's classic kong vs t-rex. It might be the first kaiju fight on screen...

And some size charts for reference

Last edited by AnimalSquabbles; 08-03-2017 at 08:32 AM.

Extraordinary Member

This is ironic. I was looking to get into Kaiju lately.

Love Kaiju films glad to see we are getting decent Godzilla movies from the US and also Shin Godzilla for the return of the Japanese Godzilla. Now just need a good Neon Genesis Evangelion movie.

Extraordinary Member

I've been trying to find a Mothra DVD. No luck.

Here's Death Battle breakdown on Godzilla vs Gamera...

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    Love Kaiju films glad to see we are getting decent Godzilla movies from the US and also Shin Godzilla for the return of the Japanese Godzilla. Now just need a good Neon Genesis Evangelion movie.
    Shin Godzilla - I enjoyed the movie, but the monster itself was just weird. I hope that doesnt stick as the new godzilla

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    This is ironic. I was looking to get into Kaiju lately.
    I've always been a fan but the recent Kong movie sparked my interest to get deeper into it

As far as comics go, alot of the recent stuff has been meh...

Godzilla in Hell - didnt read it
    Kong of Skull Island - terrible, dropped it after issue #2
    Godzilla Rage Against Time - cool, nice artwork, no story whatsoever really
    Godzilla Rulers of Earth - fun and features all of the godzilla characters
    Monsters Unleashed - havent been following it

If you got a blu ray player they have the Rebirth of Mothra 1, 2, & 3 for a cheap price.

In the US it's available along with Battle in Outer Space and H-Man in a release called 'Icons of Sci-Fi: Toho Collection.'

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    If you got a blu ray player they have the Rebirth of Mothra 1, 2, & 3 for a cheap price.
    I haven't sadly. But will be getting a new console over Summer. Plan is to watch one a night. I might start with the Hammer series frirst.

+ I wish I was in the US

I've seen Kong of Skull Island in theatres three times now. Now that people have had plenty time to watch it, does anyone else think that John Goodmans character's ship was sunk by Godzilla?

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Pacific Rim was I thought, a terrific kaiju movie, one of the very best I had ever seen with some truly nasty ass monsters that gave the Jaegers all they could handle, and more.

Now, as a geek of a certain age (58), I'm old enough to remember watching those glorious "big bug" movies from the 1950's on TV Saturday afternoons as a kid, classics like The Deadly Mantis, Tarantula, The Black Scorpion, and the mack daddy of the bunch, THEM! Hell, I have them all on DVD to watch and enjoy whenever the mood strikes. I think those black and white terrors could also be categorized as kaiju.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

^ I love THEM! It's one of my favorite movies, and my favorite classic American giant monster flick that isn't an O'Brien or Harryhausen stop-motion vehicle. The cast is fantastic and I really love the beginning when they're investigating the weird goings on before they realize that radiation has made ants big.

Speaking of which: Turner Classic Movies is spotlighting 'Creature Features' every Thursday this month, which is mostly '50s monster movies with a few kaiju sprinkled in.

Also love Pacific Rim, which I fel is a perfect big budget version of the Ultraman or Super Robot concept.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    ^ I love THEM! It's one of my favorite movies, and my favorite classic American giant monster flick that isn't an O'Brien or Harryhausen stop-motion vehicle. The cast is fantastic and I really love the beginning when they're investigating the weird goings on before they realize that radiation has made ants big.
    Yeah, THEM! began as a sort of police procedural until the giant ants showed up! Speaking of Harryhausen, another of his classics was The Creature From 20,000 Fathoms, the monster from that film was amazing! If you're looking for a smaller scale monster that delivered the terror big time, check out The Relic. That was pretty darn good.

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    Also love Pacific Rim, which I fel is a perfect big budget version of the Ultraman or Super Robot concept.
    Indeed. My favorite scene was where Gipsy Danger dragged a ship, A SHIP down a city street to use as a club against a kaiju! Awesomeness squared!

I get all geeky when talk turns to monster flicks!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!