Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Two obscure kaiju movies, Reigo and Raiga are apparently getting released here (North America) on DVD: obligatory link

I have not seen these movies so I'm very much looking forward to giving them a view. Has anyone here seen them and can give a review? Are they more comedic or more serious in tone?

^ I haven't seen them either, but from what I've heard and read they are rather straightforward nostalgic throwbacks to classic kaiju movies using, mostly, traditional effects. They're like really big fan films, coming as they do from the fella who famously made a big fan film called Gamera 4 because he was so upset that Gamera 3 ended the trilogy on a cliffhanger!

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    ^ I haven't seen them either, but from what I've heard and read they are rather straightforward nostalgic throwbacks to classic kaiju movies using, mostly, traditional effects. They're like really big fan films, coming as they do from the fella who famously made a big fan film called Gamera 4 because he was so upset that Gamera 3 ended the trilogy on a cliffhanger!
    Well, none of that sounds bad. Doesn't give one an idea of the quality of them, but at least I know there's no bag CGI to sit through.

Thought I'd bring this up - there's a straight to television kaiju movie coming out on Syfy this Saturday, one of those Asylum pictures, called Monster Island. I'm assuming they're trying to ride on the coattails of the soon to be released Godzilla movie. Like most Asylum movies, this is probably going to be...not good. But hey, something giant monstery to kill a couple hours.

They got the artist from the Godzilla comics to come up with some designs for the movie, that's kind of cool.

Incredible Member

Interesting video discussing an unproduced Dreamworks animated series that was intended to spin out of 1997's THE LOST WORLD:Jurassic Park. Along with dealing with dinos on the loose, and the aftermath of the events of THE LOST WORLD. Some ideas resembled that of the sadly obscure Hasbro property, the INHUMANOIDS, where the show's characters deal with the rampaging dinos by climbing into some high tech mech suits. And in another similarity to the battle between Earth Corps and the Inhumanoids. The series would also feature some mutant dinos that scream freak show. Like the four armed, two headed Doomsday Rex.

Mentioned in the Godzilla thread that Tsuburaya now has an official North American distributor in Mill Creek Entertainment. The first two releases, Ultra Q and Ultraman, come out in October. Those are the first two series to carry the 'Ultra' brand name, but apparently they won't be releasing all the material in chronological order as they've hinted that the next announcement will be some newer show or movie.

If you've never watched any of this stuff but are vaguely aware that Ultraman is a giant superhero that fights giant monsters and maybe that isn't for you I'd still recommend Ultra Q. There are no superheroes in this one. It's a black-and-white science fiction series in the vein of The Twilight Zone or The Outer Limits but with kaiju and, as with all of Tsuburaya Productions stuff at the time, there's a mighty big overlap with the cast and crew of the Toho kaiju movies of the day. In fact, episodes of Ultra Q often feel like 30 minute versions of Toho science fiction movies.

Well, Criterion has finally announced their Godzilla Mega set. The original 15 films will be housed in an enormous coffee table-style book full of brand new illustrations by a bunch of cool illustrators and comic artists. Unfortunately, many of the English language dubbed versions won't be included due to various complicated factors about just who has the materials for these versions and whatnot. Basically, everything on this set is from Toho themselves (and Universal, as they own the foreign rights to King Kong vs. Godzilla into perpetuity). On the plus side, this will be the first time ever that the original Japanese version of King Kong versus Godzilla will be officially released outside of Japan. This is a big deal, as it's status as a more satirical kaiju movie has made it one of the most well-loved in Japan but the English language version that tries to play it straight has been somewhat less loved outside of Japan!

With the release of this, new blu-ray sets of Ultra Q and Ultraman, and the US release of Juspion (another kaiju fighting superhero, this one from Toei) the next few months are really busy once for tokusatsu fans in the US!

On the plus side, this will be the first time ever that the original Japanese version of King Kong versus Godzilla will be officially released outside of Japan. This is a big deal, as it's status as a more satirical kaiju movie has made it one of the most well-loved in Japan but the English language version that tries to play it straight has been somewhat less loved outside of Japan!
    Just for accuracies sake, the Austrian label Anolis did release a limited double-disc DVD set of KKvsG for the Gernan-language market, including the Japanese version. But that doesn't make this release any less remarkable. Fair Warnung, though, because of its popularity, the master print Toho uses for all home video releases was used a lot, and it shows. Unfortunately it remains the best print available.

^ I believe the problem with the Japanese cut of King Kong vs. Godzilla is that when the film was edited for the Champion Festival in the seventies they cut the original master of the film itself, so the versions after that that are uncut have decent quality for the majority of scenes but much lower quality for the scenes that were edited out, since those are now sourced from lower-quality versions.

Had no idea Australia had released the Japanese version! It makes sense, since I know they've been pretty good with their Godzilla home video releases. In the UK hardly anything's been released, which is why it's such a big deal that this Criterion set will also get a region B release!

^ I believe the problem with the Japanese cut of King Kong vs. Godzilla is that when the film was edited for the Champion Festival in the seventies they cut the original master of the film itself, so the versions after that that are uncut have decent quality for the majority of scenes but much lower quality for the scenes that were edited out, since those are now sourced from lower-quality versions.
    That was it. Thanks for straightening that out.

Had no idea Australia had released the Japanese version! It makes sense, since I know they've been pretty good with their Godzilla home video releases. In the UK hardly anything's been released, which is why it's such a big deal that this Criterion set will also get a region B release!
    Since I was talking about the German-language market, I assume that was auto-correct?! Because despite their similar sounding names, Australia and Austria are very different places. One had Banjo Patterson and George Miller, the other had Mozart and Hitler. And, geographically, like very much at opposite sides of the planet.

^ Ah, sorry I conflated Austria with Australia! Australia has such a history of Godzilla video releases; back in the day a lot of American fans would import releases from Australia before certain movies were available on disc here (or were out of print here), so I already have this natural association in my mind.

Oh, and how's this for a new kaiju rumor: Hideaki Anno making an Ultraman movie! Yeah, this made the rounds a few months ago and was debunked, but they've resurfaced. The same tabloid that published the story before now says the movie has been cast, so either they're making things up, are really off-base about some other project, or maybe they're onto something. We're bound to find out soon enough.

^ Ah, sorry I conflated Austria with Australia! Australia has such a history of Godzilla video releases; back in the day a lot of American fans would import releases from Australia before certain movies were available on disc here (or were out of print here), so I already have this natural association in my mind.
    Ah. Well, Austria, or more specifically Anolis, also has been very good with releases of classic Kaiju movies.They've been getting new scans of the Japanese masters in HD, put Japanese cuts, German cuts, and when appropriate, US cuts of the movies on their discs, and assembled great bonus features. They are comparable to the American Classic Media releases.

Oh, and how's this for a new kaiju rumor: Hideaki Anno making an Ultraman movie! Yeah, this made the rounds a few months ago and was debunked, but they've resurfaced. The same tabloid that published the story before now says the movie has been cast, so either they're making things up, are really off-base about some other project, or maybe they're onto something. We're bound to find out soon enough.
    This would be quite interesting. For a second I was worried that he'd use CGI rather than suitmation, but then I remembered that it was Toho management that insisted on a purely CGI monster in "Shin Godzilla".

^ There's still some great practical model work in Shin Godzilla.

^ There's still some great practical model work in Shin Godzilla.
    And a suit, too, right? Didn't they combine all three?

Also read an interview with TOHO on Sunday. They're game for simultaneous release America, US, TV, animation, whatever.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

^ It was more like a huge puppet, but they ended up not using it in the finished film.