Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member AnimalSquabbles's Avatar

Kaiju translates to "strange monster" and is used to refer to monster movies, so i would consider all of the classic monsters like Harryhausens as kaijus also.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post

Indeed. My favorite scene was where Gipsy Danger dragged a ship, A SHIP down a city street to use as a club against a kaiju! Awesomeness squared!

I get all geeky when talk turns to monster flicks!
    My favorite part of the 2014 Godzilla was the scene with the muto eating a submarine like it was a prey item.

For anyone who has not seen Neon Genesis Evangelion, but enjoys Pacific Rim should check it out. I do not want to call it a rip off as Del Toro claims to own it, but has not watched it. They do hit on a lot of similar ideas Robots used to fight monsters, linking up to the robots, all countries joining up for battle. They have differences overall such as tone and plot, but they hit on a lot of similar ideas.

^ Guillermo del Toro watched a lot of the same Japanese tokusatsu and super robot shows as a kid in Mexico that Anno watched as a kid in Japan. They're both riffing on the same stuff.

Here's a review i did on a comic battle between the original godzilla and the 98 american godzilla...

https://youtu.be/tzTWraLWK7U

There's a new kaiju movie out named "Colossal", it seems to be a a romantic comedy about a girl who somehow telepathically controls a giant monster that attacks a city... i think ill pass

^It's pretty fun. It's not a romantic comedy at all, though the ads kinda sell it as such. It's more of a dramedy, with the comedy more at the beginning and it getting progressively more serious as the movie goes.

Quote Originally Posted by AnimalSquabbles View Post
    There's a new kaiju movie out named "Colossal", it seems to be a a romantic comedy about a girl who somehow telepathically controls a giant monster that attacks a city... i think ill pass
    Reviews for this are pretty solid actually, even amongst the more monster enthusiast press it seems. Not sure if this is covered in trailers so I'll spoiler it, but the conceit appears to be that spoilers:
    the monster is a stand-in/representation of some inner demons, possibly some form of depression
    end of spoilers.

I see why you'd be apprehensive but myself I'm actually kind of curious.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I've seen the trailer. A most curious premise. Admittedly, I'm not sure I'd be interested in it.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

I've seen the trailer; and it actually looks like it could be fun. Personally, I'm leaning toward seeing it when I get the opportunity.
    Pull List: The Black Hammer, Bitch Planet, Copperhead, Hellboy/BPRD, Monstress, Ms. Marvel, Southern Cross

Twitter: @JavasaurusRex

Incredible Member

Always been a massive Kaiju fan. I have a huge collection of the movies on DVD. And I enjoy them thoroughly.

Incredible Member

Been a fan of the daikaiju eiga genre since I was five ,and first woke up to Hanna Barbera's Saturday morning take on Godzilla.

Anyone looking for any recommendations for some new material to tide yourselves over until next year's PACIFIC RIM:Uprising. Check out author Jeremy Robinson's kaiju thriller series, Island 731 and the PROJECT NEMESIS books. The five Nemesis novels featuring its title kaiju designed by GODZILLA:Rulers of Earth artist Matt Frank. The first PROJECT NEMESIS novel was adapted by American Gothic Press into graphic novel form, with Matt Frank on art detail, and Robinson writing.

^Matt Frank has become like the official kaiju artist of North America. It's interesting that he's apparently also gained a rep in Japan. I know from Frank's twitter that his Godzilla comics have been reprinted over there.

What I really want is a Gamera book by Sophie Campbell. She posts a ton of Gamera fan art and it just makes me want a real book!

For whatever reason I've never thought to look for Kong or Godzilla comics. I love the movies. I've seen all the Showa era Godzilla movies and every Kong movie. Can't wait for the Kaiju shared universe movies (meanwhile a shared universe already existed in the 60s)

- just recently purchased the entire 24 issue run of Godzilla from MARVEL. I already had a few key issues where he fought the avengers, champions and the fantastic four, but i cant wait to read through and catch all the other cameos. Hulk vs Godzilla would have been so legit

- rewatched "Cloverfield". Despite all the talk of the monsters intricate creative design, i realize now that it's basically just a bat without it's wings. Look at how a bat crawls, with its long front arms and tiny legs, and look at it's face... take the ears off and you have Clover.

^When I was ten (so, 1998) I went to all the comic shops in town and scrapped together as many of the Marvel Godzilla issues as I could. I think I have... not even half the series. Maybe ten issues? I was happy that Marvel got a temp license from Toho to do a one-time-only Essentials reprint a decade ago, but maybe it would have been better if they waited to now, because now it would be an Epic Collection and in color!

Now, Dark Horse's four issue Gamera miniseries from 1996 - that's rare! There have been multiple Godzilla comics and smattering of King Kong comics and even a few Ultraman comics (domestically produced as well as foreign reprints) but this is the only time I know of Gamera appearing in a comic published in the US! It feels so much like a stereotypical '90s comic but Gamera is there, so it's rather surreal to read. It also continues directly from Gamera: Guardian of the Universe (which wasn't even widely available yet, with only a few screenings under its belt, so there's a recap in the first issue) and as such is a kind of alternate sequel to that movie (that got two real sequels). It introduces new characters and ends teasing a further Gamera comic series that never came.

Artist Sophie Campbell posts a ton of nifty Gamera fanart, so I really wish someone would get the license and put her on it.