Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member AnimalSquabbles's Avatar

Any excitement now that Pacific rim 2 was announced at comic con?

^Definitely excitement: the director said no teaser because not enough movie footage would be ready in time for Comic-Con, so it was a disappointment - then it turns out that they cooked up something that wasn't exactly a teaser but was still awesome (none of the stuff in that video is actually from the movie). It was quite clever. We also got great look at the new Jeagers because they showed off the really excellent looking toyline.

I have high hopes. The first PacRim was a box office disappointment, but I really feel people picked up on it after the theatrical release and became fans, hoping that, coupled with the burgeoning love for John Boyega, is enough to make the sequel go over the top. Excited that we'll see Rinko Kikuchi, Charlie Day, and Burn Gorman back for the sequel, but a bit disappointed that Guillermo del Toro couldn't direct this time... hey, at least the movie he made instead, The Shape of Water, looks excellent!

Steady trickle of Godzilla news to keep me occupied as well, from both the upcoming Godzilla anime trilogy and the Hollywood Godzilla film for 2019. It seems from all accounts that the Hollywood version of Mothra will retain her mystical origins, which is such a relief for me because if you take out the magic she's just a big bug and that's not terribly unique.

Speaking of comics - I hear the Kong: Skull Island spinoff comic that's being released right now is quite good. Reviews had been brutal for the previous Legendary Pictures comics (tie ins to PacRim and Godzilla), and this is the first one generating some good buzz.

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    Speaking of comics - I hear the Kong: Skull Island spinoff comic that's being released right now is quite good. Reviews had been brutal for the previous Legendary Pictures comics (tie ins to PacRim and Godzilla), and this is the first one generating some good buzz.
    I read that first PacRim tie-in graphic novel they released. Tales From Year Zero, I believe. It was pretty awful unfortunately. Clearly a very rushed product since it had several writers, artists and inkers, so from scene to scene it just wasn't very coherent. Story wasn't very interesting either, and it didn't even have many kaiju in it either. Like helloooo don't give me backstory, draw some monsters & mechs! I'm sure a lot of people worked hard on it to make the deadline, but yeah, can't recommend it unfortunately.

I have high hopes. The first PacRim was a box office disappointment, but I really feel people picked up on it after the theatrical release and became fans, hoping that, coupled with the burgeoning love for John Boyega, is enough to make the sequel go over the top. Excited that we'll see Rinko Kikuchi, Charlie Day, and Burn Gorman back for the sequel, but a bit disappointed that Guillermo del Toro couldn't direct this time... hey, at least the movie he made instead, The Shape of Water, looks excellent!
    Very interesting...

...This actually looks an AWFUL lot like an Abe Sapien solo-movie origin-story. Do we know if Del Toro has expressed interest in doing an Abe Sapien movie in the past? Got rejected, and then he just finally said: "F*CK it! I'll make my own version!"

Or is he just a big fan of the creature from the Black Lagoon, and wanted to do a riff, a sort of inversion, a deconstruction, of that? (well, more of a riff)

Incredible Member

Reminds a bit of an idea William The Bull talked about when he was thinking of doing a remake to CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON. Where the heroine in the story actually develops an attraction to the Gill-Man.

Ive read the first issue, not sure if more have been released, but it wasnt that good. Most of them arent. I did recently find out that that there's an official sequel to the original king kong in comic form so im eager to hunt that down.

KING KONG vs GODZILLA news! The two will not only fight other known monsters as well as new ones, but theit fight will end with a clear winner between the two. Yessssssss!

http://ew.com/movies/2017/08/19/godz...ng-winner/amp/

^With that, the Godzilla2 director tweeting out a pic of the oxygen destroyer from the set, and the reveal that anime Godzilla evolved from 'plant based life' (!) it's been quite the week for kaiju news.

^With that, the Godzilla2 director tweeting out a pic of the oxygen destroyer from the set, and the reveal that anime Godzilla evolved from 'plant based life' (!) it's been quite the week for kaiju news.
    Yeah, it's a shame this thread isnt very active. Maybe i shouldve put in a different forum section

Quote Originally Posted by AnimalSquabbles View Post
    Yeah, it's a shame this thread isnt very active. Maybe i shouldve put in a different forum section
    If you'd like I could move it to either TV & Film or the general CBR Community?

Quote Originally Posted by TotalSnorefest View Post
    If you'd like I could move it to either TV & Film or the general CBR Community?
    I guess tv and film technically would've been more fitting.

Thread has been moved to TV & Film, with a permanent redirect in the Independents section so people can still find it there too!

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Talking

My Goodness ~~~~~~ How have I NOT Known about this Thread Until Today!?!!??!!

I am going to have Some FUN Here, Been a Fan of Kaiju Since I was 6-8 Years Old!

Here is my Opening Post Video!

"By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Just finished the Ultraman Orb Movie. It was overall a pretty fun movie, I think it falls short though. Ultraseven only had a few scenes, I guess they wanted to make the plot more unexpected compared to last year's X movie.

We have a kaiju thread!?

AWESOME!
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium