Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Speaking of book recommendations: the official (made with the family's cooperation) English language biography of Ishiro Honda comes out next month. Honda was a POW in WWII, directed the first Godzilla (and shaped the story: he'd frequently change or add to his scripts uncredited), many of the sequels, other genre films from the studio (Rodan, Mothra, Gargantuas, Matango, etc.), episodes of tokusatsu shows like Return of Ultraman, and ended his career as assistant director to his old pal Akira Kurosawa... so, there's a lot to cover!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    If MEG (from the Steve Alten novels about a gigantic, 60 foot long prehistoric shark emerging from the Marianas Trench to commit mayhem) had been made into a film, I think Megalodon would've been classified as a kaiju.
    Is the book good? I've seen it & sequels on book shelves but always hesitated.

The jaegers are back, the kaiju are back, Newt, Herman, and Mako are back. PacRim Uprising trailer:

Funny thing: without Guillermo del Toro behind the wheel you loose a bit of that visual grit and steampunk aesthetic, and when coupled with the pretty blue sky in the background the end result makes it look like a really really expensive Ultraman episode. That's not a bad thing at all in my book!

Mighty Member

Look's like it's going to be pretty good.

All-New Member

Just uploaded a new video of mine about the upcoming Pacific Rim Uprising
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12oiLTYu6bw

Which I honestly think that Kaijus now evolved and combine together to make one big ass kaiju is seems over it but hey sounds like a cool idea
    4/5 Jaegers fighting one big Kaiju

What are your thoughts on the upcoming Pacific Rim Uprising? Share your thoughts and comments on my video guys

Hope you guys enjoy it and don't forget to subscribe

Fantastic Member AnimalSquabbles's Avatar

Like i've already said, since starting this thread, i've been hunting down all the kaiju comics i'm interested in. I can't seem to post pics but i've now collected and read...

The entire MARVEL Godzilla run
    Godzilla: Rulers of Earth
    Godzilla: Rage across time
    Godzilla vs Charles Barkley
    The official comic adaptation of the first King kong move
    The official estate approved sequel to the original King kong movie
    Kong of Skull island vol 1 & 2
    Kong: Gods of Skull Island one shot

I might review them all.

I also picked up an independent company trade title "Escape from Monster Island" which seems to feature a modern military team fighting the iconic cyclops from the "Seventh Voyage of Sinbad" film
    Last edited by AnimalSquabbles; 11-07-2017 at 11:09 PM.

^ For the comic adaptation of the original Kong movie: are you talking about the Fantagraphics miniseries from the early '90s or the Gold Key giant comic from the late '60?

Some other possible avenues for collecting: Dark Horse's Gamera miniseries from '96, and the Taiwanese Ultraman Tiga series (also published by Dark Horse).

Woah ... Dark Horse did a Gamera series!?

Was it good!?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Godzilla, Mothra, and the other Toho monsters were the original shared universe, as far as I can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Woah ... Dark Horse did a Gamera series!?

Was it good!?
    It's weird. It feels very much like a '90s comic... but with Gamera (and several classic Gamera foes). It was a tie-in with the US release of Gamera: Guardian of the Universe and it's a sequel to that movie, but the movie wasn't widely distributed in the US yet so the first issue has this big summary of the story in the back! It sets up a further miniseries that never came.

Rodan.jpg

Rodan has always been my guy. I hope he gets his due in this new iteration.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    Is the book good? I've seen it & sequels on book shelves but always hesitated.
    I've read most of the books and enjoyed them. The tension, suspense and danger Steve Alten communicated in his writing really gripped you and never let go. Well worth the time in my opinion. By the way, MEG is coming to theaters in 2018.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

^^
    I am pumped for seeing Rodan, King Ghidorah, and Mothra in Godzilla 2! ... I mean, and Godzilla of course, but we see him all the time. I'm actually probably most excited to see Mothra.

... wonder what other monsters we'll see in Monster Planet besides Godzilla and the servum (those are those smaller monsters you see in the trailers)?

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Rodan.jpg

Rodan has always been my guy. I hope he gets his due in this new iteration.
    Lucky, my favorite Toho monster after Godzilla is Anguirus, and he'll never get his due.

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    When I was ten (so, 1998) I went to all the comic shops in town and scrapped together as many of the Marvel Godzilla issues as I could. I think I have... not even half the series. Maybe ten issues? I was happy that Marvel got a temp license from Toho to do a one-time-only Essentials reprint a decade ago, but maybe it would have been better if they waited to now, because now it would be an Epic Collection and in color!
    I used to love the old Godzilla Marvel comic with Dr. Demonicus! They never did a Godzilla/Shogun Warriors crossover did they because that would have been awesome! (although Red Ronin was super-cool!)

I also loved the over-sized King Kong comic from back in the day (I think I might still have it at my parents' place....) - I have so many more memories of that than the actual movie (and the comic was in color!)
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 10-31-2017 at 12:39 AM.