Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member AnimalSquabbles's Avatar

Here's what i was refering to in regards to the cyclops...

Attachment 57526

Remember him? Well he randomly appears in this comic

Attachment 57527

It was poorly edited, i caught a few typos, but wasn't that bad. It was pretty cliche but entertaining. The government secretly keeps captured monsters on an island for research. After they all escape, a group of mercenaries is hired to go and extract some valuable material from the island thats now over run by werewolves, yetis, elves, etc.

The first issue of the King Kong / Planet of the Apes crossover "Kong on the Planet of the Apes" came out wednesday

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    ^ For the comic adaptation of the original Kong movie: are you talking about the Fantagraphics miniseries from the early '90s or the Gold Key giant comic from the late '60?
    I own both

Incredible Member

First trailer to Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson's RAMPAGE.

Ofcourse they make it an albino gorilla for no reason.

^A very good reason: to make him visually distinct from King Kong!

Looks like it could be a lot of fun. A month after PacRim2, too!

Oh, and the first Godzilla anime movie comes out in Japan today! Well, tomorrow... it's already tomorrow in Japan.

^A very good reason: to make him visually distinct from King Kong.
    I get that, but all these movies seem to find ways to change the source material in ways that dont really add anything. There's other ways to distinguish a difference without changing the character, now looking at that gorilla it doesnt register as Rampage to me.

For over two decades Tsuburaya's hands have been tied as they tried to market Ultraman around the world. Taiwanese company Chaiyo (who coproduced a Thai Ultraman movie with Tsuburaya in the mid '70s) produced a document in the mid '90s claiming that they had international rights to Ultraman. Several years later Chaiyo transferred these rights to a company called UGM. After much wrangling, it shook out that Chaiyo/UGM had distribution rights to the first six Ultra TV shows outside Japan, and they did licensing and merchandise and even attempted to make various new Ultra shows and movies, few of which actually materialized - though Ultraman's recent appearance in this year's installment of a Chinese CGI film franchise was licensed by UGM, much to Tsuburaya's chagrin.

Basically, Tsuburaya has been fighting this for a long time, and it's always impeded their desire to bring Ultraman worldwide as well as denied them the revenue of that lost licensing. The DVDs of Ultraman, Ultra Q, and Ultraseven that have been available in the US, for instance, are all licensed by UGM in pretty crap quality - Tsuburaya has the original elements, while UGM's appears to be rips stolen from home video releases. The English dub for the original Ultraman that UGM has is clearly sourced from US fan bootlegs, recorded off air from when the show was still in syndication in the '80s!

Tsuburaya has had to tread lightly, sometimes not knowing where they stand. In recent years whenever a foreign company asks for an appearance by the original Ultraman for a commercial or music video Tsuburaya has provided the very similar but legally distinct character of Ultraman Neos. There's been walking on eggshells, never quite sure if something will be contested.

Anyway, the reason behind all this description - BAM! :

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2...ights-lawsuit/

Los Angeles jury has found that initial document giving the Ultraman rights to Chaiyo to be "not authentic!" This is what Tsuburaya Productios has said for years, that the document is a forgery (and a poor one at that). Hopefully this is the end of this foolishness.

For over two decades Tsuburaya's hands have been tied as they tried to market Ultraman around the world. Taiwanese company Chaiyo (who coproduced a Thai Ultraman movie with Tsuburaya in the mid '70s) produced a document in the mid '90s claiming that they had international rights to Ultraman. Several years later Chaiyo transferred these rights to a company called UGM. After much wrangling, it shook out that Chaiyo/UGM had distribution rights to the first six Ultra TV shows outside Japan, and they did licensing and merchandise and even attempted to make various new Ultra shows and movies, few of which actually materialized - though Ultraman's recent appearance in this year's installment of a Chinese CGI film franchise was licensed by UGM, much to Tsuburaya's chagrin.

Basically, Tsuburaya has been fighting this for a long time, and it's always impeded their desire to bring Ultraman worldwide as well as denied them the revenue of that lost licensing. The DVDs of Ultraman, Ultra Q, and Ultraseven that have been available in the US, for instance, are all licensed by UGM in pretty crap quality - Tsuburaya has the original elements, while UGM's appears to be rips stolen from home video releases. The English dub for the original Ultraman that UGM has is clearly sourced from US fan bootlegs, recorded off air from when the show was still in syndication in the '80s!

Tsuburaya has had to tread lightly, sometimes not knowing where they stand. In recent years whenever a foreign company asks for an appearance by the original Ultraman for a commercial or music video Tsuburaya has provided the very similar but legally distinct character of Ultraman Neos. There's been walking on eggshells, never quite sure if something will be contested.

Anyway, the reason behind all this description - BAM! :

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2...ights-lawsuit/

Los Angeles jury has found that initial document giving the Ultraman rights to Chaiyo to be "not authentic!" This is what Tsuburaya Productios has said for years, that the document is a forgery (and a poor one at that). Hopefully this is the end of this foolishness.
    Hope that means we'll get a Hollywood Ultraman movie...

^Well, for the first time in a long time such a thing is feasible.

This is great news for Tsuburaya, who've had a great last few years in making Ultraman popular again after several years of the property basically being on life support. The new shows are popular with little kids and the merchandise is selling really well while things like kaiju bars and a drama about nerds making a kaiju fanzine the '70s (co-produced by Tsuburaya with fantasy sequences featuring their monsters) are aimed at the nostalgic adults.

Ultraman is getting a big budget CGI anime movie in 2019! Unfortunately, it's gonna be light on the kaiju: it's based on the currently running and quite popular manga, which ignores all continuity aside from the original show. Set years after the series ended, it features Shin Hayata's son, who's inherited a spark of Ultraman's power, donning a mech suit approximating Ultraman's abilities and fighting (human - not kaiju - sized) baddies.

I recently watched "Colossal" with a girlfriend. Not as good as people keep hyping it up to be, but not bad. I feel it went on too long and was kinda stupid but i watched and somewhat enjoyed.

King on Planet of the Apes issue #2 came out, a live Kong comes face to face with Dr. Zaius

Quote Originally Posted by AnimalSquabbles View Post
    I get that, but all these movies seem to find ways to change the source material in ways that dont really add anything. There's other ways to distinguish a difference without changing the character, now looking at that gorilla it doesnt register as Rampage to me.
    Who cares about the source material when watching a movie? Any movie?

Quote Originally Posted by Forseti View Post
    Who cares about the source material when watching a movie? Any movie?
    Fans of the source material

A prequel to Cloverfield, "The Cloverfield Paradox", was released last week on Netflix. I hate to be negative but it's made my list of worst movies and it took me 4 tries to finally finish it because i kept losing interest and stopping. Interesting concept but Predictable and just bad overall. It's not really a kaiju movie but Cloverfield fans might wanna stick around til the end (or just skip to it)