Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Saw Rampage today pretty damn good Monster flick.

Fantastic Member AnimalSquabbles's Avatar

Ive now seen Rampage. I enjoyed it, the monster action was more than I expected. I really liked the wolf.

Extraordinary Member

The Croc was my favorite. I wonder if he had a name.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    The Croc was my favorite. I wonder if he had a name.
    Her name was Lizzie. Ralph, the wolf, had some awesome moments. The flying, and turning out he was also armed to the teeth with the projectile quills.

Usually we only talk about the big titles here, but I've recently learned of a few smaller efforts in the genre that might be interesting.

Koujin is a television effort, and normally when I think Japanese live action TV I think Ultraman, but the monster looks pretty good in the pictures, and I love the samurai period thing, reminds me of Daimajin. No clue if we'll get to see it here in the west, but I hope so.

The Great Buddha Arrival is a crowd funded effort to remake an old lost film. Normally I'm not crazy about remakes, but remaking a film because it's been lost to history is a trend I can approve of. A benevolent Buddha statue tours the country side to "save" the people, whatever that means, and flies to Tokyo. Not sure how the remake will go, but probably as faithful as they can get it considering. Reminds me even more of Daimajin because of the living statue thing. Hope it comes out great, shame none of us can ever see the original, barring time travel or someone finding a still existing copy, neither of which is likely.

Howl from beyond the fog is another crowd funded effort, and a return to puppets and miniatures. I don't have a lot of information on this one but the teaser trailer looked good, might also be some sort of period piece maybe.

No Godzilla or Gamera, but hopefully some good Japanese kaiju action to look forward too. What do you guys think?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The One and Only View Post
    Her name was Lizzie. Ralph, the wolf, had some awesome moments. The flying, and turning out he was also armed to the teeth with the projectile quills.
    Oh okay yeah the wolf was awesome. The battles between the military and monsters were some of the best I've seen.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3lac9Ssb-xI

Trailer for Koujin. Don't know, looks maybe like it already came out a couple of months ago.

It looks good. I mean the CG isn't super great, but it's on the level of most other TV film or show with CG creatures. No word yet if we'll ever see it in the west.

Incredible Member

With the recent announcement that Toho is going for a new cinematic universe surrounding Godzilla and his collective frenemies. I couldn't help but remember ,and locate this rather cool fan trailer entitled JAPAN'S AVENGERS.

Especially love how Godzilla is introduced.

I really hope the start of Toho's cinematic universe doesn't mean the end of Legendary's.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I really hope the start of Toho's cinematic universe doesn't mean the end of Legendary's.
    I hope so to... but if KotM and Godzilla vs. Kong are good and the MonserVerse wraps up as a four film thing I won't be to sad. I mean, it's all gonna hinge on those movies being successful. I think Marvel and cinematic universes have clouded our perception of how a movie series typically works: if movie #1 is a success then we make movie #2, if #2 is a success we made #3, if #3 is a success - etc. etc. To announce a production slate of a dozen films isn't the natural order of things no matter what we've seen in the last decade. A few years ago Legendary announced they were making a new King Kong movie, Godzilla 2, and a Godzilla vs. King Kong movie. I'm still getting over my shock that that happened!

Whatever happens, I'm confident that - aside from the occasional dry spells - we'll be getting Godzilla content regularly for the rest of my lifetime for the same reason it's the case with Batman: it's an iconic character that's owned by a successful movie studio, so even if a movie bombs at worse Toho will just wait a while to build up interest for the next reboot.

I'm more bummed we most likely will not being seeing a Shin 2.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

^I'd like to see another movie in the vein of Shin... but seriously, how could they have continued?

Either they have Godzilla turn into a horde of Godzilla-humanoids as shown at the end of Shin Godzilla... in which case it wouldn't be a 'Godzilla movie' anymore

or

Godzilla wakes up and still is Godzilla which would invalidate the entire premise of the original film that Godzilla was a constantly evolving, shape-changing organism and the ticking clock was to observe and kill his current form before he can change again.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I'm more bummed we most likely will not being seeing a Shin 2.
    I don't think we were ever going to get a Shin 2.

Comet TV, a free online streaming channel that mostly exists to play MGM's catalog of genre flicks, is showing Godzilla movies every Sunday night this summer. Invasion of Astro Monster is on right now.

Apparently last week they showed some alternate version of Godzilla, King of the Monsters! that has different titles (opening title and end credits) than the familiar version.

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    Comet TV, a free online streaming channel that mostly exists to play MGM's catalog of genre flicks, is showing Godzilla movies every Sunday night this summer. Invasion of Astro Monster is on right now.

Apparently last week they showed some alternate version of Godzilla, King of the Monsters! that has different titles (opening title and end credits) than the familiar version.
    Really? Hate I missed that.

That giant Buddha statue movie is trying to get some old actress from X from Outer Space and Terror Beneath the Sea over to Japan if anyone is interested - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ew-kaiju-film/