Amazing Member

Default Batgirl Annual #1 Preview/Discussion

Thats a big preview, looks good though. This could be an interesting issue if who they're trying to break out is who i think they are. Im curious to see where they are going with that.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

At least this artist draw Barbs taller than Kara showing she is older.

I know Batgirl was trying to be scary in that one panel, but the belt totally ruined it. I still think she needs a new costume sooner rather then later .

Supergirl and Batgirl. Together at last .

Supergirl looks really cute with a cowboy hat on. Especially as drawn by Inaki Miranda .

So it seems like Kara speaking in a more stilted way, without contractions, is her thing now. I'm pretty sure that's also been how Orlando's been writing her (I'm unfortunately behind on her book).

Does Supergirl know Batman and Batgirl's identities? She seems to know about the Bruce Wayne connection, but I guess she could just be remembering Batman Incorporated.

If that's really Saturn Girl, I wonder why she's using an assumed name and how she went from Metropolis, to Arkham, to a Cadmus black-ops site?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Does Supergirl know Batman and Batgirl's identities? She seems to know about the Bruce Wayne connection, but I guess she could just be remembering Batman Incorporated.
    She should, i mean x-ray eyes. Though not sure if their identities mean anything to her.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Eh. I don't really care about this Batgirl/Supergirl teamup, especially since it's leading into Supergirl, which I'm not reading. Inaki Miranda's art isn't terrible, though it's nothing like as sharp as it was in Catwoman (though thankfully not as hideous as it was in Birds of Prey in 2011). It's amazing to see Eleonora Carlini doing more Batgirl art - she was my favorite thing about the tail end of the Burnside run. However, Alysia continues to be the biggest "Can we give her a personality and plotline that don't revolve around her personal drama with Babs" about the title. Like...she's the acting head of Babs's company. That's rich soil for a story there, but instead, it's all small stuff.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Always Rakzo

Well, Larson did her usual decent job in the first story. I have problems about how she says that this is first meeting between Supergirl and Batgirl since I'm pretty sure they've met before but the issue still has some natural dialogue and fun moments although with a bit of forced social commentary that I've already seen several times in the past and doesn't offer much beyond that. Miranda's artwork is solid but I've seen better from him before.

The best part for me was the second segment. Is a pretty fun story about Babs and Alysia who are trying to celebrate their friendship while Babs' superhero career gets in the way. Is quite energetic and enjoyable, pretty similar to Stewart/Fletcher/Tarr's run in terms of tone while presenting the best portrayal of Alysia since the beginning of this volume.

Then at the end I realized why I liked this story so much compared to the first one. It was actually written by Vita Avala who easily created a much more entertaining story than Larson both in terms of writing and style, it makes me wish that she would replace Larson as the main writer. Same opinion on Eleonora Carlini's artwork, her style is quite beautiful and expressive.

Worthy mostly for the second story, don't care too much about the first.

Completely agree about Carlini's artwork, but I thought Ayala's writing was painfully generic. What did you like about it? To me, Babs and Alysia could have been any other friends, one of whom was a secret super hero, whereas Larson is developing a distinct personality for Babs in her writing.

That being said, I did think that the Larson story wasn't that great - the voices were distinct, but Babs and Kara weren't very appealing, and the way it's only there to lead into Supergirl annoyed me.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Well, I enjoyed the Supergirl story, too bad it continues in the other series. The second story wasn't to my liking, pretty stiff and boring.

Not gonna lie, felt a little bamboozled by this.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Not gonna lie, felt a little bamboozled by this.
    Yes, especially as someone who doesn't read Supergirl.

Astonishing Member

Came for the Saturn Girl. Which...did not exist. I don't read Supergirl or Batgirl so this was an utter ripoff/theft from me/the readers by DC as far as I'm concerned.

The stories were decent enough. I thought the Batgirl story was cute enough. But yeah, I wouldn't have ought this had it not been for the extremely incorrect solicit.

So is this before Superman Family Lovefest restores 10 years to the DCU, or after? Because if it's after, I can't imagine Batgirl and Supergirl have never met before. And if it's before - well,it's obviously a continuing story, but the whole universe is going to be remade around it.

I can't help but feel that, in trying to restore their continuity, DC has messed it up even more.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

I'm a little surprised supergirl knows who batgirl is; I thought she was too busy with everything going on in her own book.