Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Popular Tech Site Runs Column Speculating That Superman Will Be Evil in JL Movie

Link:

http://www.theverge.com/tldr/2017/3/...of-zack-snyder

Imagine my surprise when I saw this article skimming headlines on a website that's mostly devoted to rumors about upcoming smartphone and electronics releases. (They do try to do some popular culture as well, though, among other things).

I thought that there was a good chance a lot of folks here hadn't seen it yet because it wasn't published in one of the usual places one might go to read Superman speculation, and would appreciate a link.

I'm not saying I agree with the writer's theory. Just passing the link along.

This post doesn't contain spoilers and the article title itself isn't a spoiler (The writer is just speculating), but the writer does cite some things from trailers, Henry Cavil's Instagram account, etc., so there are mild spoilers in that sense. Also, there's a major spoiler for the ending of Batman vs. Superman, but that movie has been out a year, so everyone's probably seen or hears about the end of that movie- if you're waiting for it to hit Netflix, though, and have somehow avoided spoilers for this long, don't click the link.
    Last edited by SuperCrab; 03-27-2017 at 10:30 PM.

Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar

I think the only way Superman can be bad in Justice League movie is the same way it was done in final episodes of Superman: The Animated Series, where Darkseid altered his memories into thinking that he was always a child of Apokolips. And most likely Lois Lane and a certain ring might play a pivotal part in restoring his true memories, remember "Lois Lane is the key" from BvS and "True love conquers all" from latest Reborn. Actually, in the TAS final episodes she also was the one to trigger him coming back to senses.

I hope this is true. MOS was bad (suicide by tornado after telling his kid to let other kids die to save his secret) then came the train wreck BvS, how else could Justice League top the previous 2 in awfulness? He should not be in the movie till the last half hour and then kill a bunch of people as he destroys city after city. Zach Snyder, making DC great again.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

It's a wrong theory, so what's the point in this thread besides people hating on zack snyder for something he didn't even do yet.

Does the fact that you said yet mean you acknowledge that it's possible ?

For my part I'm sorry for my use of an over used trump joke.

Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I hope this is true. MOS was bad (suicide by tornado after telling his kid to let other kids die to save his secret) then came the train wreck BvS, how else could Justice League top the previous 2 in awfulness? He should not be in the movie till the last half hour and then kill a bunch of people as he destroys city after city. Zach Snyder, making DC great again.
    He didn't said to let them die. He said "maybe". It was meant to show that this is a different world where Pa Kent doesn't miraculously knows all the right answers for any situation, especially when it comes to defending an alien kid. Maybe might mean both yes or no, depending. Pa Kent has to take into consideration that exposing Clark might lead to: government to haunt down Clark and use him for experiments or in arm's race (see Flashpoint Superman). Pa Kent doesn't know the full scale of Clark's powers, which means he still has to be careful about him and protecting his existence from the world is one of the ways.

Maybe I'm trying to defend something you think is undefendable, but I also think that things are not entirely black and white with Man of Steel and BvS.
    Last edited by GreatKungLao; 03-28-2017 at 10:35 AM.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Does the fact that you said yet mean you acknowledge that it's possible ?

For my part I'm sorry for my use of an over used trump joke.
    I didn't even realize it was trump joke, but yeah, it is possible. And I just mean Zack shouldn't be criticized over something that hasn't happened yet.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

It's a theory that has been around for a long time.
    Btw, isn't one of the JL bad guy (Steppenwolf)'s powers, the abilities to turn anyone into one of his soldiers using telepathy? Or am I confusing him with someone else?
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 03-28-2017 at 03:41 AM.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Just like Berlanti on the CW shows.

Dare to compare and judge for yourself.

http://dailydcheroes.tumblr.com/post...the-flash-2014

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    It's a theory that has been around for a long time.
    Btw, isn't one of the JL bad guy (Steppenwolf)'s powers, the abilities to turn anyone into one of his soldiers using telepathy? Or am I confusing him with someone else?
    Glorious Godfrey and his sister Amazing Grace have mind control powers. Those two are the ones Darkseid uses for things of that nature.
    Last edited by Doctor Know; 03-28-2017 at 07:26 AM.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Right. Because nothing says "We're moving in a lighter direction" than showing the greatest superhero of all time turned into a mindless killing machine or worse a sadistic psychopath.

1. WB has promised a lighter direction. Superman coming back from the dead only to start nuking cities with his heat vision is NOT lighter. So unless they're lying (and oh, the backlash they will face if they are) then this makes no sense.

2. Snyder said JL was meant to be lighter before BvS hit the theaters. See above.

3. There is no point to having Superman sacrifice himself to save the world, only to undo that sacrifice by destroying the world's trust in him YET AGAIN.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Incredible Member

I hope not. I don't want to see Superman evil. I am tired of this trend trying to make Superman evil.

Popular tech site gives user Clark_Kent all the money.

Hey, since speculations (guessing) are cool :P
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Astonishing Member

Meh. I've been guessing that that vision is technically true or coming but not in the way we think.

"Metropolis Marvel unleashes destruction upon World!"

"A League United have taken down would be Superman imposter!"

"Cyborg Superman revealed!"

"Superman Lives! Imposter dethroned!"

What GreakKungLao said.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatKungLao View Post
    He didn't said to let them die. He said "maybe". It was meant to show that this is a different world where Pa Kent doesn't miraculously knows all the right answers for any situation, especially when it comes to defending an alien kid. Maybe might mean both yes or no, depending. Pa Kent has to take into consideration that exposing Clark might lead to: government to haunt down Clark and use him for experiments or in arm's race (see Flashpoint Superman). Pa Kent doesn't know the full scale of Clark's powers, which means he still has to be careful about him and protecting his existence from the world is one of the ways.

Maybe I'm trying to defend something you think is undefendable, but I also think that things or not entire black and white with Man of Steel and BvS.
    Basically, Jonathan makes it very clear that his "Maybe" is a genuine expression of his internal conflict over this. He is torn between wanting to protect his son (from being exposed) and the world from being shocked and changed for the worse if his son is used by the wrong people or people react poorly to an alien savior figure among them, on the one hand, and the well-being of innocent people, on the other hand. It's a classic case of having to choose a smaller good over a greater good. The greater good is served by Clark not exposing himself as a teenager, which includes the bus incident when he was about 14 and the tornado incident when he was about 17. Jonathan chose to sacrifice himself for his son and for the world, and Clark respected that choice. To me, they both behaved admirably and sympathetically.

And to address the topic of this thread, I think it's possible there will be a hint of a corrupted Superman, but I don't think it will last long or be witnessed by the public. The stated goals of the film and his character arc don't gel with a storyline in which he is a dark feature of the film and a menace to a public just starting to trust him; so I don't expect anything major in the evil Superman department.

I could see it working out if he revives corrupted by Steppenwolf/Darksied, has a fight with the rest of the League before they break Steppenwolf/Darksied's control on him to them team up for a big final battle.