Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Talking Mystery Science Theater 3000 is BACK!

Yes the Legend of Riffing Movies is Back, Mystery Science Theater 3000 in all of its glory to Netflix and it will be Premiering April 14, 2017!!!

The World is Whole Again and Bright Once More!!

Here is the 1st Trailer, its MOVIE SIGN TIME ONCE AGAIN!

"By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

I backed this. I am very hopeful that it won't suck... the consensus among those who have seen preview viewings seems to be that it doesn't.

Definitely will be a challenge to get used to an all-new cast.

that is a horrible cast.

I'm really looking forward it. There's an amazing amount of writing talent behind it, and I think with Joel as, essentially, showrunner he'll bring back that kind of off-kilter whimsy that gave his seasons such a distinctive feel.

For me, the biggest challenge will probably be accepting the fact that it's not the 90's anymore. The look and sound of the show are going to be different, and the feel will be different in many ways too. But I'll eventually get used to it... as long as it's funny.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

While the cast is Fairly Different that is mostly what I expected and I am willing to give them a chance to see how they work out. The Skits will be interesting but the main heart of the show will always be how the Trio of Crow, Tom and the New Guy work out when watching the movies.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

The cast is definitely going to take some getting used to, but they were handpicked by Joel himself, and they were all at least up-and-comers. So they're coming into the show with the benefit of 1. growing up with MST3K, 2. coming in with more creative experience than Joel and the originals did when they first started the show, and 3. direction from Joel and some of the old MST3K cast. It's not as if they're being left to their own devices; the show is Joel's baby and it always will be.

Edit:

Here are the veterans returning to the show:
    Paul Chaplin -- one of the original writers
    Mary Jo Pehl -- writer & guesting as Pearl Forrester
    Bill Corbett -- writer & guesting as Observer; played Crow during the Mike Era
    Kevin Murphy -- guesting as Professor Bobo
    Charlie Erickson -- composer and created the original's theme song
    Beez McKeever -- who worked on the original show's props and will design costumes and props for the new show
    Crist Ballas -- hair and makeup design

Aside from the cast, the "new" talent includes:
    Elliott Kalan -- lead writer and Joel's assistant, former head writer for The Daily Show With Jon Stewart.
    Dan Harmon -- writer, creator of Community
    Joel McHale -- writer, comedian and actor
    Adam Savage -- live and practical special effects; will work with original show propmaster McKeever as mentioned above
    Contributing writers: Justin Roiland, Rob Schrab, Nell Scovell, Ernie Cline, Pat Rothfuss, Paul & Storm, and Dana Gould

There's an open invitation to the rest of the old MST3Kers (including Mike Nelson) if they'd ever like to participate. Mike's primary villains of Pearl, Bobo, and Observer are returning (reprised by their actors) as guests to torment the new cast. Joel's assembled a good mix of old and new, the new crew are really seasoned, and the show, at least based on ads, seems to be a nice mix of the Joel, Mike, and new Eras.

P.S. -- the new voice of Servo is Baron Vaughn. You can catch him as a main cast member on the show Grace & Frankie, where he easily holds his own against legends Jane Fonda, Martin Sheen, Lily Tomlin, and Sam Waterston in every episode.
    Last edited by Cyke; 03-30-2017 at 11:25 AM.

New voices for Crow and Tom will probably be the biggest things to get used to. The new Crow actually sounds somewhat like the old Crow.

I hope we get surprise cameos by some of the old timers, apart from those already confirmed. (I want to see TV's Son of TV's Frank get advice from his father, Jor-El style.)

I've already adjusted to the bots changing voices once I can do it again!

Jonah Ray was pretty good on Rifftrax's MST3K reunion show so I have high hopes for this, especially since this is basically a passion project by Joel.

The only bot voice changes that happened during my time watching the show (I wasn't around for the original Servo) was Trace Beaulieu --> Bill Corbett for Crow, and Jim Mallon --> Patrick Brantseg for Gypsy. But in those cases the style of voice was essentially the same.

I haven't seen/heard any footage yet of the new cast in character, except for the end of the trailer where Crow says "you are not my real father, mister." He sounds quite a bit like the old Crow in that, but I have no idea if Baron Vaughn intends to try and recreate Kevin Murphy's voice. I seem to recall that he's not.

Most importantly, this will be the first time since season 1 that Mike Nelson hasn't been writing for the show. His style was key to the success of the original show, and I just hope the new staff is up to it. The old show had several major cast departures that could easily have wrecked it, but they always came up with something just as entertaining to replace it. Hope that continues with this. A lot has changed in entertainment since the 90's, most of it for the worse.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Most importantly, this will be the first time since season 1 that Mike Nelson hasn't been writing for the show. His style was key to the success of the original show, and I just hope the new staff is up to it. The old show had several major cast departures that could easily have wrecked it, but they always came up with something just as entertaining to replace it. Hope that continues with this. A lot has changed in entertainment since the 90's, most of it for the worse.
    Yeah, this is the biggest gamble but I also have faith in Joel. He handpicked Mike to join the original writing team, and then personally selected Mike out of the entire crew (and then some) to be his successor, so Joel's instincts were dead on to preserving the show. Joel's made a series of good choices in staffing before and so I trust him with his choices here.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I am not the biggest fan of Jonah Ray, but I will still give this a shot.

The biggest thing will be getting used to the new cast, but I'm more than ready to give it a shot.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Me (and everyone else who contributed $25 or more to the Kickstarter) will have a special preview of the premier episode tomorrow night!

Excitement!

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    Me (and everyone else who contributed $25 or more to the Kickstarter) will have a special preview of the premier episode tomorrow night!

Excitement!
    It'll be just like old times... watching a new episode of MST3K in the middle of the night!