Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

The silhouette of Crows head still looks like it's facing away from the movie screen to me. I know it's an optical illusion, and I can flip it around if I look at it long enough but that takes some work.

Just finished episode 3, I'm finding myself in agreement with some of the other posters, there's been some definite improvement in just three episodes. First episode the jokes came to rapid fire to the point where they were almost talking over each other, third episode they're giving each other time to breathe and better playing off each other which is essential for movie running gags. It was pretty telling because out of the three movies they showed Time Travelers was easily the most dull.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Avalanche was really good!

I wish CBR didn't spoil the surprise in episode 6.

Skipping around seems fine, BTW.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I wish CBR didn't spoil the surprise in episode 6.
    Haven't gotten there yet... so I'll be sure not to read any CBR articles about MST3K.

In fact, probably best not to read ANY articles about it until I'm finished.

I just finished the first half of the Beast of Hollow Mountain (my scheduling only permits one hour chunks of TV at a time. Thank you Netflix for being so accessible!), but man, the pacing and quality of jokes are just so great. Probably my favorite so far, though I imagine that'll change soon.

I just watched "The Time Travelers" and they've gotten the rhythm down perfectly. Even the rapid-fire pace of the riffs seldom bothers me anymore. Enjoyed the surprise host segment cameo, too.

Still not loving Flying Servo, though.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Still not loving Flying Servo, though.
    Don't worry, the flying schtick gets utilized much more intentionally in later episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Haven't gotten there yet... so I'll be sure not to read any CBR articles about MST3K.

In fact, probably best not to read ANY articles about it until I'm finished.
    Yeah, good plan.

Spoiler culture is in full effect.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Non-specific observations:

- during the title sequence, I think it's really adorable when Crow jumps on Jonah's back like a little kid

- though obviously there's more inspiration from the Joel era (which is only natural since he's the showrunner for the revival), I appreciate the occasional callbacks to Mike era jokes. It's not so much that it screams, "Remember us? NOSTALGIA!" but just enough to make it feel like the post-Joel years are getting their proper due.

I just started the Land That Time Forgot. This is gonna be great.

Spectacular Member

I'm a backer!

Can't believe Joel was able to make the return happen. I have really enjoyed the new episodes, hope we get another season.

Added: I like the new host, which is odd for me because it took me time to come around to Mike. The new voices don't bother me at all, except for Gypsy, she sounds weird (I get the update, but a different voice might have suited her better). Like the Mads and host segments. The flying in the theatre doesn't bother me, but I thought the Gypsy effect would be better (it was hyped a lot).

I don't like the opening song as much, maybe it's just the weird break in the middle that is putting me off). I also don't like the doors to the theater or design of the ship, too generic sci-fi opposed to the home made look of the original and then for the several updates. Other than those minor issues I love the new show.
    Last edited by stain; 04-28-2017 at 02:07 PM.

The only episode that fell flat with me was the Carnival one. I have the final episode left.

Avalanche, Land That Time Forgot, and both Wizards have been the best so far. Yongary was up there.

More spoilers:
    clone Pearl
    end of spoilers please.

Great to see it coming back for another season.

I tried to watch the Thanksgiving special short they did, riffing on part of Stranger Things episode 1, but they were back to the "too many riffs" problem they had with the first episode of the new series. You do not have to be talking every single second, guys. It was especially jarring coming right after the masterpiece The Day the Earth Froze, one of the best episodes of the original series and a master class of riffing.

Yes! Really enjoyed the new season. Very much reminiscent of the original, but still able to stand on its own.