Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default Looking for Iron Fist recommendations

Anyone here care to recommend some Iron Fist comics? I would like to like to get to know the character better because of the Netflix series.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Immortal Iron Fist by Matt Fraction, the two complete collections are pretty easy to get hold of.

Quote Originally Posted by Flamazide1 View Post
    Anyone here care to recommend some Iron Fist comics? I would like to like to get to know the character better because of the Netflix series.

Do you mean 'in spite' of the Netflix series?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
    Immortal Iron Fist by Matt Fraction, the two complete collections are pretty easy to get hold of.
    This.

Brubaker, Fraction & Aja Iron Fist run is the best. It's not just the best Iron Fist run, it's the best run in Marvel history at least for me. I haven't read anything better than that run from Marvel, it's so good. (I haven't read everything from Marvel ofcourse) I wish Marvel reprinted The Omnibus of it. :/ That's the omnibus i want the most.
    Last edited by Batarang; 03-29-2017 at 06:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Batarang View Post
    This.

Brubaker, Fraction & Aja Iron Fist run is the best. It's not just the best Iron Fist run, it's the best run in Marvel history at least for me. I haven't read anything better than that run from Marvel, it's so good. (I haven't read everything from Marvel ofcourse) I wish Marvel reprinted The Omnibus of it. :/ That's the omnibus i want the most.
    I want to give that run another chance but it was kind of a slog and a disappointment for me and had numerous problems with it (can't really remember what exactly I think one of the main point was the villain and his unclear plans and relations to the hand).
    It doesn't beat Runaways, PPunisher or Fury Max or astonishing X-men for me. And quite objectively it doesn't beat Nextwave. Nothing beats Nextwave.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I want to give that run another chance but it was kind of a slog and a disappointment for me and had numerous problems with it (can't really remember what exactly I think one of the main point was the villain and his unclear plans and relations to the hand).
    It doesn't beat Runaways, PPunisher or Fury Max or astonishing X-men for me. And quite objectively it doesn't beat Nextwave. Nothing beats Nextwave.
    I read it as it came out monthly in single issues when i still get single issues back in the day so it has been like 11 years or something since i read it. I don't remember the details very well because of that, i never reread it but i will. I love martial arts movies and cartoons and this run was like a perfect mix of all those movies and cartoons that i watched came together. It was so epic, how Daniel Rand got the power of Iron Fist, the rivalery between Daniel and the main villain went way back to their childhood for the power of iron fist as fellow martial artists, the best fighters from the legenderay seven capital cities fighting in a tournament, The villain being the son of Daniel's master and he turned out plain wrong when he grew up and stuff. These are all so familiar for me from the bizillion martial arts movies and cartoons that i watched... Familiar yet came together in the best way in this comics so far. I was like this thing has all the classic elements and use them so very well. The Villain was angry at his father, he thought that he was mistreated cause he was supposed to be the Iron Fist and he was jealous of Daniel because of that and hated Daniel. He wanted to beat the Iron Fist in the tournament so people could see how he's better and stuff but i can't remember the rest very well... There was this riot in The Kun Lun or something right ? i really need to reread but as far as i remember it was the best of Marvel and what i remember is what i liked the most. Aja's art was awesome too.

I haven't read Runaways, Fury Max and Nextwave yet btw. Astonishing X-men was good too but Iron Fist takes the cake for me. I only read vol. 1 of Punisher Max and it was like this 80s action movie, one guy army kills bizillion bad guys without even sweating and stuff... Nothing speacial but the rest of the volumes can change my mind ofcourse, i just read vol 1.
    Last edited by Batarang; 03-29-2017 at 12:15 PM.

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Next Wave is, objectively, the greatest thing ever. Any meatbag who disagrees gets put inside Fin Fang Foom's pants.
    Cyclops was right

Quote Originally Posted by Batarang View Post
    I read it as it came out monthly in single issues when i still get single issues back in the day so it has been like 11 years or something since i read it. I don't remember the details very well because of that, i never reread it but i will. I love martial arts movies and cartoons and this run was like a perfect mix of all those movies and cartoons that i watched came together. It was so epic, how Daniel Rand got the power of Iron Fist, the rivalery between Daniel and the main villain went way back to their childhood for the power of iron fist as fellow martial artists, the best fighters from the legenderay seven capital cities fighting in a tournament, The villain being the son of Daniel's master and he turned out plain wrong when he grew up and stuff. These are all so familiar for me from the bizillion martial arts movies and cartoons that i watched... Familiar yet came together in the best way in this comics so far. I was like this thing has all the classic elements and use them so very well. The Villain was angry at his father, he thought that he was mistreated cause he was supposed to be the Iron Fist and he was jealous of Daniel because of that and hated Daniel. He wanted to beat the Iron Fist in the tournament so people could see how he's better and stuff but i can't remember the rest very well... There was this riot in The Kun Lun or something right ? i really need to reread but as far as i remember it was the best of Marvel and what i remember is what i liked the most. Aja's art was awesome too.

I haven't read Runaways, Fury Max and Nextwave yet btw. Astonishing X-men was good too but Iron Fist takes the cake for me. I only read vol. 1 of Punisher Max and it was like this 80s action movie, one guy army kills bizillion bad guys without even sweating and stuff... Nothing speacial but the rest of the volumes can change my mind ofcourse, i just read vol 1.
    you really need to read Fury MAx! get the ohc while you still can you won't regret it I think it's right up your alley. Unfortunately there is no Nextwave ohc just a complete tpb. Maybe there were 2 premier hcs but those are probably hard to find now.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashingSabre View Post
    Next Wave is, objectively, the greatest thing ever. Any meatbag who disagrees gets put inside Fin Fang Foom's pants.
    nothing beats next wave

What's so good about Next Wave?

BANNED

you really need to read Fury MAx! get the ohc while you still can you won't regret it I think it's right up your alley. Unfortunately there is no Nextwave ohc just a complete tpb. Maybe there were 2 premier hcs but those are probably hard to find now.
    Just ordered Fury Max If they make a new hc edition for Nextwave, i will definetly get it too.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

I didn't like Fury and I loved PunisherMax (not the Marvel Knights Ennis stuff) but what do I know? I like the Barracuda Mini. PunisherMax is the opposite of 80s Action flicks. Behold the aging in real time. Genius. Some of its character moments really stuck with me.

Immortal Iron Fist is the best pulp stuff Marvel has done for me. I don't like KungFu tales but the art and writing in Iron Fist was amazing. It easily beats similar books like Jeff Lemire's Green Arrow or Matt Wagner's Shadow imho and I loved those, too.

I barely remember Nextwave but it was tons of fun and should be read once a year because... fun.
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 03-30-2017 at 04:25 AM.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Immortal Iron Fist is the book you want
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Mighty Member

I too found IIF overrated. I still enjoyed it, but like fraction and ajas run on hawkeye much better. Also second fury max. One of the unexpectedly best books I've read the past few years.

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    I too found IIF overrated. I still enjoyed it, but like fraction and ajas run on hawkeye much better. Also second fury max. One of the unexpectedly best books I've read the past few years.
    Each to their own but after about 11 issues Hawkeye seems like nothing more than cheap novelties to me. Iron Fist has a cohesive, great story that expands a whole new area of the Marvel universe. I feel like Brubaker must have been the difference that stopped Fractions usual derailment.

I'd recommend the Iron Fist epic IF you like Immortal Iron Fist. It's all the original Iron Fist issues and has incredible art by Byrne.