Amazing Member

Default Should Star-Lord have an Annual?

Was just thinking how Star-Lord's current series last regular issue will be #6 in April and then there is also a Annual scheduled for May.

My question is if a series can't make it to 12 issues (or actively releases for a year) and is either planned to end early or cancelled, should it even get an Annual? kinda misses the point of what an Annual is in my mind is all.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

An Annual is an excuse to release something during 5-week months. It's always been that and always will be that. There's nothing special about it and they're often subpar rather than better.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

I think Annual nowadays is just a way of saying "BONUS ISSUE", since there isn't really a pattern for when they come out to have them released "annually", not to mention some comics will get Annuals over others for no specific reason.

I think maybe they wanted Chris Zdarsky to write a Star-Lord story when he's actually in space, so they made this Annual as a bonus. I know the same thing happened with Ant-Man a few years back, it ran for 5 issues, and then a month later got an Annual as a bonus story.

Yeah, Ant-Man had a five issue run a couple of years ago, then an annual that introduced the new Giant-Man, and then a Last Days one-shot, before getting a longer run by the same team after Secret Wars that ended a couple of months ago.

And you're right about the other thing, Annuals used to be a fifth week filler, and still are at DC. But Marvel no longer releases things on that strict a schedule, so their annuals do seem to be placed randomly.