Spectacular Member

Default Peter David's Hulk Run

Anybody read the entirety of Peter David's Hulk run? Currently in the thick of it, love the run, but I'm about 5 issues into the era where Liam Sharp took over art duties from Gary Frank (who is of course amazing) and all of a sudden it's gotten painfully 90s. I'm wondering if I should even continue, because the quality seems to have taken a steep dive fast.

I've read it, but I'll need issue number and storylines to really be helpful. I never paid attention to who the artist was.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    I've read it, but I'll need issue number and storylines to really be helpful. I never paid attention to who the artist was.
    426 I think is when Sharp took over. After the whole Pantheon story concluded and now Hulk and Betty are living in Florida.

Thunderbolts make their first appearance in 449. Peter David's run ends at 467. I know towards the end it wasn't getting great and when he leaves I thought it got terrible. Although Planet Hulk came after I stopped reading.

I believe this is the time when Smart Hulk when he becomes mad turns into weak and Stupid Banner. Maestro returns, but I think only in his head in 436. A lot of this happens during Heroes Reborn. I think Peter David was pissed about what happened to the Hulk and so Hulk was pretty much mad at everyone and everything. 456 he becomes War for Apocalypse. I don't recall this storyline going for very long. Fights the juggernaut, but it wasn't exciting.

End of the day, yes, I think you could stop reading and you wouldn't miss anything. Unless anything I mentioned above sounds interesting to you.

Edit: I should also say I read this series 10 years ago or so. I looked at covers to remind me. Nothing was jumpng to mind and screaming, "Damn yes, that was great."
    Last edited by LordMikel; 03-29-2017 at 08:10 PM.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Incredible Member

I have to disagree with the other posters. I thought the whole damn run was pretty great. He never stayed with the same type of story (or even the same version of Hulk) for too long. There was the Joe Fixit version, Pantheon version, and so on. It never got stale, and was always entertaining, delving into Bruce's character like no one ever had before.

I enjoyed David's run the whole way through as well. There were some weird points as far as the art goes (you some early Deodato here bf the Jones run but it picks up art wise when Kubert jumps on board) but the story was always interesting and as a previous poster said he was the first to really explore Banner's psyche so deeply (particularly his mindscape, which modern Hulk writers seem to ignore a lot). For me the Hulk never had that same feel when he left until Pak started writing the Hulk.

Spectacular Member

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Astonishing Member

I read the entire run as it came out. Definitely one of, if not the greatest, Hulk run ever.

However, I do think PAD stayed on the title too long. Once you get to the Liam Sharp issues, the best stories are now behind you.

Incredible Hulk 300-425 was the best part of the series. After Gary Frank left, the series was never as good as it had previously had been.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    Incredible Hulk 300-425 was the best part of the series. After Gary Frank left, the series was never as good as it had previously had been.
    I agree with this, with the slight correction that PAD's run started with issue 330, if I'm not mistaken.

Peace

it's different, but i'm a sucker for PAD's last few years on hulk. it seemed like he was upset at editorial for forcing bruce banner into the heroes reborn universe and ruining some planned stories, so he just threw up his hands and wrote about hulk going over-the-top. hulk island, the issue where he joined a tribe in the savage land, being a horseman for apocalypse -- delightful. then i remember it slowing down a bit before the big finale.

Astonishing Member

Best Hulk run ever, I loved the whole thing though if I recall correctly it didn't end at it's peak it was still a good read. For me it goes, Peter David then Greg Pak (Planet Hulk and World War Hulk were outstanding) then John Byrne (waaaay too short but I was really feeling it and wish he could have finished his storyline)

David's Hulk might be up there for the greatest continuous runs on a book for a long period of time, up there with Claremont's Uncanny X-Men, Wolfman's New Teen Titans, Byrne's Fantastic Four, John's Green Lantern if you stop at the SCW, John's Justice Society and I guess Simonson's Thor (can't recall how long his run lasted but it was epic).
    Last edited by EmeraldGladiator; 03-30-2017 at 01:30 PM.

Hulk by PD Omibus Vol 1!!! YEAAHHH Finaly breaking the no-Peter David Omnibus Curse!
    : D
    Hope we get 1 P.David Omnibus a year from now on!
    Also these would be sweet:
    Hulk by Bill Mantlo Omnibus (#245–313)
    Hulk by John Byrne + Al Milgrom Omnibus (#314–327, 329–330 )
    Most Wanted Omni: X-Factor 90's (Peter David, DeMatteis and DeZago); X-Factor Investigations (Peter David); X-Men: Legacy (Carey); Alpha Flight Vol2 (Mantlo, Hudnall & Lee); Moon Knight by Ellis, Wood & Bunn OHC ; Moon Knight Vol 1; Excalibur Omnibus Vol. 1;Animal Man Omnibus vol. 2; Animal Man by Lemire; Hellblazer by Ennis ; Question by Dennis O'Neil + Rick Veitch.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

I love PAD's run in its entirety. You never knew what was going to happen with the book.

It's unfortunate that Marvel pushed PAD off the book by demanding the return of the savage, mindless Hulk to line up with future film plans. At least he got to offer some resolution with the final issue of his first run.

I found his all too brief return to the book be great as well, around the House of M era.

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

Amazing run. A classic, not only for Hulk, but for comic books in general.