Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by markhyperion View Post
    Also....um.....Reed and Sue aren't married anymore. So there is another one. She is married to Doom, and Doom's consort so they been uh....doing stuff probably for 8 years. Not sure if that counts as cheating since she doesn't know whats what. Some people claim its one long rape by Doom then. Which might be going too far.
    Well, that depends if he used his power only to make her believe that he is the creator of everything, or for something else...............................

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Byakko View Post
    Vision and Wanda - Divorced/separated. The worse is how many times they let them kinda get back together...and then pull some shit like Wanda going insane and forcing Vision to kamikaze into the Avenger's Mansion and he gets torn apart. At this point, just let them stay separated amicably already! But no, end of Uncanny Avengers #5 *long suffering sigh*

And that's not even getting into how Marvel handled their kids. A literal "fuck it, reincarnation BOOM!" moment.

Edit: BTW I don't think it's specifically about marriage, but generally comic writers dislike writing around relationships in general. General reasons being you have to revolve the story around the fact both or more characters are going to be around the other more, usually. It's much easier if the hero is a singular free agent, that's just it. Sidekicks not withstanding. It's the romance angle that makes stories more complicated and harder to make not revolve it.

Edit2: Also it isn't just Marvel. The New 52 reboot removed Lois/Clark's marriage, as well as Big Barda and Mister Miracle's (I think)
    lois and clark still married because of convegence events and they are now on DC main earth.
    big barda and mr miracle as fas I know they aren't married.

I really curious if marvel will remove sue and reed marriage an if they will get rid of the kids too

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    lois and clark still married because of convegence events and they are now on DC main earth.
    big barda and mr miracle as fas I know they aren't married.

I really curious if marvel will remove sue and reed marriage an if they will get rid of the kids too
    Ah right Convergence. I don't follow DC much so I wasn't up on current events. But I've seen some stories/scans of Clark and Diana being together? Is that an alternate from the main DC line, or a pre-Convergence story?

I doubt Marvel would remove Reed and Sue's marriage just because their whole shtick is the 'super-powered family', their relationship is part of their story and theme since their creation. I mean, they made the trope, that's why we have homages like the The Incredibles or Astro City's Furst Family. Of course there's the 'separation' storylines they always have, like during Civil War, but that's just par for the course.

They did have a version of them separated already in the Ultimates universe, and we've seen how well that went. Though I know 616 Reed is suppose to be the only Reed who ever married and had a family in all the multiverse, apparently.

And unlikely they'd get rid of Franklin Richards. He's managed to linger in canon with his super-god powers for a long time. If Marvel wanted to get rid of him, I feel there were plenty of opportunities to do so (the whole plotline in Heroes Reborn and maybe the follow-up story when Onslaught was hunting him). Marvel keeps him around because they can use him as a universal reset button, though now he sort of shares that potential with Wiccan.

Wouldn't be that surprised if Valeria gets warped out or changed though. That's already happened once, and I still don't understand what happened with teen-Valeria from the alternate future whatever, then she's gone and we have naturally born Valeria.
    Last edited by Byakko; 07-18-2015 at 10:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    They're not against marriages; they're against long-term change and character evolution. Everything goes "back to basics" every few years. It's the same reason the Human Torch constantly grows up but then becomes an irresponsible man again, for example.
    Exactly. If you have these characters for years and years, eventually they're going to not be the same characters that people enjoyed in the beginning, and so they have to constantly keep them in the spotlight as the hero characters they are, there is rarely any "defining" moments for characters that truly change who they are and how they are written - marriage being one of them. They can only go so far because if they go too far, the characters are completely different people. Because comic people never really want to end a popular franchise, they don't want to end a certain character, it's why people are always coming back from the dead or out of retirement, etc. etc. So they won't stay happily married, or at least their marriage won't particularly be mentioned, because it's just another plot line for the character, not really a new part of their life. Though hey! That'd be a crazy storyline if all the married heroes started disappearing and left the world to be in a superhuman gated community.

Marvel is not anti-marriage. To repeat what others have said, they've made marriage like those coupled folks outside your window. ~50% of marriages in real life end in divorce. These characters have real-world problems that give them depth and allow the creative team to deep-dive in to the psyche of our heroes. It makes them unique because we all have different issues and deal with said issues differently, it makes them more than 2-dimensional crime fighters and it makes them relatable. When they get through their divorce or their family deaths or whatever it is guess what? It makes them a hero of another kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    ...that's not true. He's still dating Diana, post Convergence. Lois knows Clark is Superman (again...), but so does everyone.

DC is insanely 'anti-marriage'. Aquaman even refers to Mera as his 'girlfriend' now. It's so sad. Hahaha.
    Freedom is the ability to live without fear of persecution.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Stacy View Post
    Marvel is not anti-marriage. To repeat what others have said, they've made marriage like those coupled folks outside your window. ~50% of marriages in real life end in divorce. These characters have real-world problems that give them depth and allow the creative team to deep-dive in to the psyche of our heroes. It makes them unique because we all have different issues and deal with said issues differently, it makes them more than 2-dimensional crime fighters and it makes them relatable. When they get through their divorce or their family deaths or whatever it is guess what? It makes them a hero of another kind.
    Not very heroic the way Marvel tends to write them. Peter and One More Day, dealing with the devil, remember?

Or when way back...the fact that Jan convinced Simon to not let them take his mind imprint to restore Vision and ended up destroying Vision and Wanda's marriage.

Either we think of them as being out-of-character, which for some of them they really were, or we take it as they are horrible people and have handled these situations terribly. Dealing with the devil, or turning your back on people who are suppose to be your friends...not good life lessons, and not exactly relatable.

Yes.

Single Spidey is sexy Spidey.

Quote Originally Posted by just another user View Post
    I am glad Marvel is progressive about the outdated institution of marriage. Remember, these comics are aimed at children, not old people.
    Why does everything have to be about Tumblr's political agenda?
    Seriously though, the reason is because marriage gets in the way of the super hero-ing. How is someone supposed to save the world when they have to be home by six and fix dinner for the family

BANNED

Always found it an impractical concept to be fair, these are people who are fighting to stay alive themselves and to keep people alive on a act of sheer suicide and staying alert of constant peril from aliens, Armageddon, mad scientists, magical beings, gods, devils etc. Especially the marriage between Spidey and MJ, he can't marry a normal woman and not expect chaos to follow him back to him and his down time with his ordinary woman made of plastine.

Not very heroic the way Marvel tends to write them. Peter and One More Day, dealing with the devil, remember?

Or when way back...the fact that Jan convinced Simon to not let them take his mind imprint to restore Vision and ended up destroying Vision and Wanda's marriage.

Either we think of them as being out-of-character, which for some of them they really were, or we take it as they are horrible people and have handled these situations terribly. Dealing with the devil, or turning your back on people who are suppose to be your friends...not good life lessons, and not exactly relatable.
    Those are good examples and I'm sure there are plenty of other examples we can cite but I do stand by my previous post. Some of these examples make our heroes human. Humans have faults, we all make mistakes. It's not about never making mistakes but how we handle ourselves when that happens. I also believe that some of what happens is more a product of Marvel's decade+ trend of making its characters fall in the grey area of morality or creating situations that are not black-and-white and of their desire to put these Characters in situations with no real "right" way out. (Example: Destroying a planet and killing billions).

Of course we can all have different opinions and perspectives on the matter but, for me, it is more this than specifically about Marvel being anti-marriage.

Quote Originally Posted by Viteh View Post
    They are against aging their characters. Marvel feels marriage makes them seem older. They want their characters young so younger readers can relate and get into comics.
    I know but it doesn't make much sense Marvel clearly addressing more and more older readers with its content. They are at the point where their heroes are basically monsters in a moral sense. The cartoon and movie version properly do address younger audience but the comic just don't even the Spider-Man version is with the company way too different from the cartoons or the original comic Spider-Man. I personally think that what makes heroes looks 'fresh' is how many unused ideas you bring in and how not morally used up they are and not how old the character actually is in real time and if you are good the partnership status of the hero doesn't mater.

What also hilarious is how the Ultimate Universe started to address new readers and young people and than Marvel done the most it can to burn through it 'freshness'(on top of that than copying the idea to 616)

About the kids yeah that a real 'problem' the authors wanted once send Peter into retirement with Ben Reily as Spider-man but the outcome was horrible because so far I know the fans wanted 'their' Spider-Man back. In some way it always a problem when you have as super-hero kids even when you see it realistically they are target number one of your enemies, In a world where the heroes would have brains they would create some sort of very well hidden and protected island / space-station with transdimensional panic rooms for their families.

I think there is also another thread about the missing/dead kids of the heroes the numbers are sad.

BANNED

Ah right Convergence. I don't follow DC much so I wasn't up on current events. But I've seen some stories/scans of Clark and Diana being together? Is that an alternate from the main DC line, or a pre-Convergence story?

I doubt Marvel would remove Reed and Sue's marriage just because their whole shtick is the 'super-powered family', their relationship is part of their story and theme since their creation. I mean, they made the trope, that's why we have homages like the The Incredibles or Astro City's Furst Family. Of course there's the 'separation' storylines they always have, like during Civil War, but that's just par for the course.

They did have a version of them separated already in the Ultimates universe, and we've seen how well that went. Though I know 616 Reed is suppose to be the only Reed who ever married and had a family in all the multiverse, apparently.

And unlikely they'd get rid of Franklin Richards. He's managed to linger in canon with his super-god powers for a long time. If Marvel wanted to get rid of him, I feel there were plenty of opportunities to do so (the whole plotline in Heroes Reborn and maybe the follow-up story when Onslaught was hunting him). Marvel keeps him around because they can use him as a universal reset button, though now he sort of shares that potential with Wiccan.

Wouldn't be that surprised if Valeria gets warped out or changed though. That's already happened once, and I still don't understand what happened with teen-Valeria from the alternate future whatever, then she's gone and we have naturally born Valeria.
    convergence send the pre-flashpoint lois and clark married with a kid to earth prime where they are living for 9 years. i already expect another reset/reboot on this mess that DCU is becoming.
    oh new 52 superman, the inferior version, still dating WW.

I was afraid that Marvel would chicken out and reset the fantastic because it is easier to write on the beggining of team and without kids. But Marvel already had the chance to do it many times and marvel choose to continue with marriage and kids, and FF is about family.
    well I would like to valeria stay, maybe she will choose to stay with Doom to watch over him?

Quote Originally Posted by klinton View Post
    ...that's not true. He's still dating Diana, post Convergence. Lois knows Clark is Superman (again...), but so does everyone.

DC is insanely 'anti-marriage'. Aquaman even refers to Mera as his 'girlfriend' now. It's so sad. Hahaha.
    Everyone? I haven't read the latest comics. What do you mean everyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Macho Mantis View Post
    Everyone? I haven't read the latest comics. What do you mean everyone?
    The entire world now knows Clark is/was Superman. And he's lost his powers. He's still stronger than the average, but no longer 'super'.
    Freedom is the ability to live without fear of persecution.