Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

I honestly don't think marvel is against marriage in principal. It's simply a matter of them not always believing it's the best course for certain characters.

If Marvel was entirely against the concept of marriage, we wouldn't see marriages in the first place. But we clearly do.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I honestly don't think marvel is against marriage in principal. It's simply a matter of them not always believing it's the best course for certain characters.

If Marvel was entirely against the concept of marriage, we wouldn't see marriages in the first place. But we clearly do.

But they're also undone by later writers or editors...

But I kinda agree with what some other posters have said. Sometimes it's a matter of "The formula we had back in 19-fill-in-the blank sold well so let's go back to that." Sometimes it's a writer going, "I want this comic to be how it was when I was a kid!" Sometimes it's a case the powers that be believing that the young audience doesn't want to live vicariously through married people, they want to be free.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by just another user View Post
    I am glad Marvel is progressive about the outdated institution of marriage. Remember, these comics are aimed at children, not old people.
    So now is the perfect time to pitch my STARFOX: Cosmic Polygamist mini-series to Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    But they're also undone by later writers or editors...

But I kinda agree with what some other posters have said. Sometimes it's a matter of "The formula we had back in 19-fill-in-the blank sold well so let's go back to that." Sometimes it's a writer going, "I want this comic to be how it was when I was a kid!" Sometimes it's a case the powers that be believing that the young audience doesn't want to live vicariously through married people, they want to be free.
    Sure, sometimes they're undone (not unlike how in real life marriages are undone). Like I said, sometimes writers or editors feel a character needs to go in a different direction. The point I'm making is that if marvel editorial was against the idea of marriage as a matter of principal, they'd simply have characters not get married.

But they do allow marriages at least on occasion, when they feel it's right for the characters. Just like they sometimes will end a marriage when they feel that's right. That's just kind of how it is.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Northstar is married I think. I think he married his boyfriend in some X-Men issue.

BANNED

One of the reasons for Reed and Sue is because of Stan lee and Jack Kirby. But it would be interesting to see Marvel try to fully split them up and stick with it for a year.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

I was pretty upset they got rid of the Pete - MJ marriage, especially in such a shitty manner.

All in all though, no, Marvel doesn't have a problem with Marriage.

Yeah Probably. Marvel feels marriages ages characters and makes them boring. Maybe to a degree this is true. I find Ultimate Fantastic Four way more entertaining than the regular 616 version which feels a little stale.

But I also like characters finding happy endings and progressing. I was a big fan of the Peter & MJ marriage. And I haven't read Spider-Man since OMD. Thats when it really hit me that Peter was going to be kept in the same status quo forever and was never really allowed to be happy. So after 540 some issues figured the character had reached his narrative end for me. Still read him in Avengers just not his solo book. Spider-Man marrying MJ and joining the Avengers with Aunt May finally knowing his secrets seems like a great place for the story to conclude. I don't need whatever's going on in Slott's run.

The BP & Storm marriage was also cool imo, especially if you didn't hang out on the forums all the time and listen to petty haters. I thought it was great for both characters and gave them so new dimensions and potential for growth. Sadly Marvel doesn't really seem to have a longterm plan for either character. Storm's been stuck in a rut for years and hasn't really done anything. And despite some good writers handling BP I don't think the characters in a good place at all. No kingship, banished from Wakanda. Than all the depressing immoral stuff the Illuminati's been doing. Feels like Marvels been having heroes be borderline villain like since 2006. BP should have stuck with his initial characterization and not joined the illuminati but be working with a larger group of heroes. Also he shouldn't be working with Namor after AvX, Marvel set those two down a path and considering the situation I see no need for them to align with one another. It just feels like a weird catch-22.

Luke Cage and Jessica Jones marriage is ok. I'm kind of indifferent to it. I thought Jessica Jones was a very interesting character in Alias, that was a good environment for the character and as a Max series Bendis could take the character places a lot of other base 616 heroes hadn't gone. Still ever since she was pulled into the 616 proper she's come off kind of generic to me. It's just been perpetual baby or a marriage crisis from story arc to story arc until Mighty Avengers where they finally look to be in a stable marriage. I don't think the marriage has actually done as much for Luke Cage's character as some think it has....doesn't mean it can't in the future. The marriage just felt like a vehicle to move Cage away from his classic blaxploitation stereotypical image. I thought it was successful in changing his image in that regard, Bendis even had him going bald, which is why he shaves his head. But for like 6ish years the relationship just felt like it was retelling the same stories. Luke's in trouble, Jessica's in trouble, the babies in trouble rinse and repeat. So far Mighty Avengers seems to be breaking the mold.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    By the way, DC is even worse . . . look how many marriages were ripped from existence with the change to the New 52.
    Thats different, DC reboot/reset their universe, so that made sense. I think DC messed up by doing a softboot and not a hard reboot. Trying to leave Batman and Green Lantern untouched left some inconsistencies. And DC has kind of screwed up the robin and the Teen Titans right now.
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    One of the reasons for Reed and Sue is because of Stan lee and Jack Kirby. But it would be interesting to see Marvel try to fully split them up and stick with it for a year.
    I actually do think they should consider doing a story where Reed and Sue split up. Not DIVOURCE, but seperate for a period of time. And inevitably come back together.

The truth of the matter is Reed at times is an absolutely crappy husband, and it would be nice if that occasionally has consequences. I'm still unhappy about how the Civil War stuff was resolved by Reed going on a beach vacation with his wife. There's simply no incentive for Reed to change. When Sue finds out about the Incursions, Reed and her will probably go skiing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ExcelsiorPrime View Post
    So now is the perfect time to pitch my STARFOX: Cosmic Polygamist mini-series to Marvel.

Starfox was the creepiest character created. A guy that used his powers to date rape.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell D. View Post
    Starfox was the creepiest character created. A guy that used his powers to date rape.
    I don't think it was ever explicitly stated that he intentionally used his powers in that manner (though he did go to trial over it).

Still, it was kinda creepy in that you always did have to wonder about it.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    This.

And don't get me started on Johnny Storm and his uncanny ability to avoid fatherhood for the Almighty Status Quo. He's got company with his bros, Spidey and Iceman though.
    He did get a woman pregnant. I think it was in an FF annual from maybe 4 or 5 years ago but she conveniently ran off to some other dimension. She's not been seen since so he probably does have a child out there somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    He did get a woman pregnant. I think it was in an FF annual from maybe 4 or 5 years ago but she conveniently ran off to some other dimension. She's not been seen since so he probably does have a child out there somewhere.
    He also seemingly got his skull ex-wife pregnant, but I think that turned out to be fake. Or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    When Sue finds out about the Incursions, Reed and her will probably go skiing.

This might be really close to what happens.

I think it does have more to do with aging a character than anything. The FF do have that added protection of the team being a family so having kids around is great. Anybody else for them to have kids it has to be a what if or future story. The industry does not want any limits on characters and marriages and kids are perceived to do that. Spidey flirting with Black Cat as a married guy looks bad to some people.
    Also, once a character is married for a while the when will they have kids things starts and if the kids age that mean a finite amount of time has passed and you can't have that now can you.

It all goes back to keeping characters in a staus quo which limits things you can do.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by vikramkhore View Post
    Check the marriage status

storm and black panthor :- annuled
    spiderman and MJ :- no commnets
    quick silver and crystal :- broken
    sue and richard :- much issues
    ultimate sue and richard :- broken
    hank pym and wasp :- contious issues
    cyclops :- 1st wife dead ,stolen powers from 2nd and now she dont trust him
    wolverine :- one wife dead ,not sure abt others
    Were never married IIRC.

As for everyone else, it's all about the drama.

Storm and BP marrying never should have happened in the first place, but it was a stunt that drew a lot of attention.

No, Marvel is not against marriage, but it is against meaningful character development. As such, they can't move characters too far from their point of origin. Of course some characters have to, but that can't be helped.

Another way of looking at things, the increasing number of separations is very much in keeping with the reality of the world today with people getting divorced weeks after tying the knot.