Default "Hydrock," "Spoctopus," what should we call him?

The Superior Spider-Man somehow remains my favorite spider series from the past few years. I care(d) deeply about Spock and would like to reach a consensus here on our best choice of nickname for him going forward. I've given a couple possibilities in the thread's title, but I think "Hydrock" might get my vote, if only because it keeps that whole thing to a meager two syllables and places the most recent change upfront.

What do you guys think? Any other ideas?
    Last edited by JarvisJackrabbit; 03-29-2017 at 09:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JarvisJackrabbit View Post
    The Superior Spider-Man somehow remains my favorite spider series from the past few years. I care(d) deeply about Spock and would like to reach a consensus here on our best choice of nickname for him going forward. I've given a couple possibilities in the thread's title, but I think "Hydrock" might get my vote, if only because it keeps that whole thing to a meager two syllables and places the most recent change upfront.

What do you guys think? Any other ideas?
    "Hydrock" sounds the best and is the easiest to say, although it might date the quickest (I could see Slott keeping Ock as the Spidey/Ock clone long after the HYDRA storyline is done).

However, given that I loathe SSM (both in premise and the actual material), 99.99% of Dan Slott's Spider-Man writing and ideas (including the current iteration of Ock that we're trying to nickname), and the post-OMD tradition of Spidey storytelling period, I'm not sure how much my vote should count for.

I think the only reason I liked it as much as I did was because the whole premise drove my expectations into the dirt, which made me a mark, and it worked.

Let's be honest with ourselves for a minute and admit that fashion is a huge part of comics. I don't know fashion from anything, but Ock as an arachnid-themed hero in a terrorist organization whose symbol is an octopus makes immediate sense from a costume standpoint. Super low hanging fruit here.

I think the only reason I liked it as much as I did was because the whole premise drove my expectations into the dirt, which made me a mark, and it worked.
    Fair enough. If you gave it a chance and liked it, that's what matters. (I think I was too close-minded to the idea to give it a fair shot, anyways.)

Let's be honest with ourselves for a minute and admit that fashion is a huge part of comics. I don't know fashion from anything, but Ock as an arachnid-themed hero in a terrorist organization whose symbol is an octopus makes immediate sense from a costume standpoint. Super low hanging fruit here.
    Doesn't the Hydra symbol only have six tentacles? It's more like a squid, not an octopus.

I'd say that, given he's a hybrid clone of himself and Spider-Man that Spock still fits, possibly more than before since he's got his octopus tentacles back.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

I'll never call him ''Spock'' as I'm a Star Trek fan and Spock is one of my favourite characters so I'll never call Doc Ock that. I'll just keep calling him Doc Ock or Doc Clock personally.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    I'll never call him ''Spock'' as I'm a Star Trek fan and Spock is one of my favourite characters so I'll never call Doc Ock that. I'll just keep calling him Doc Ock or Doc Clock personally.
    I'm with that. He was never Spock to me. For a while he was Spider-man. Now he's just Dr. Octopus again, Doc Ock if you need the nickname.

After all, he didn't have a nickname when he was in that metal coffin thing, did he?

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Just Dr. Octopus. I mean he pretty much is just that, Dr. Octopus, regardless of what little cosmetic changes he has.

BANNED

- Richard Spencer-Ock
    - SlOtto 3.0

Fantastic Member

I feel like Spock still works for him. Or his old nicknames.

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    - Richard Spencer-Ock
    - SlOtto 3.0
    I vote Slotto.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Superiock.............

Incredible Member JoeWithoutFear's Avatar

What about just "SupOck" as it is short for his name, Superior Octopus? Seems like a direct and elegant solution.
    Me: "Wanna be Hawkeye and Hawkeye next Halloween?"
    My wife: "Only if I get to be Clint."