Fantastic Member

Default I have read the first 3 volumes of New 52 Aquaman...

...and I plan to check out the new series when Sejic comes on board. Would someone be so kind and give a summary of what happened in the remaining New 52 volumes and whether they are worth the read?

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Well, if you've just read the first 3 volumes then 'Volume 4: Death Of A King' is absolutely essential. It concludes the Geoff Johns run that was built up across those previous 3 books. You've kind of read 3/4's of the way through a story arc there and it would be a shame to just leave it at that. Plus, it's great too.

New52 Aquaman was then handed over to Jeff Parker, who wrote 'Volume 5: Sea Of Storms' and 'Volume 6: Maelstrom'. In my opinion this was one of the most underrated runs in the whole New52 era. Parker obviously had a strong understanding of the character and, perhaps even more importantly, his world which was fleshed out in immaculate fashion. The way that Parker placed Atlantis and it's history firmly into the bedrock of the larger DCU was brilliantly handled. He was on point with his characterisation too. Little scenes like Arthur and Mera attending Arthur's high school reunion were wonderful little flourishes. It was a colourful and vibrant run on the comic and a modern highlight for me.

Then Cullen Bunn took the reins for the DC You era run on Aquaman. Bunn was heavily criticised for his take on the character, so much so that he walked away after only 8 issues (and he'd apparently wanted to bail much earlier!). This run is compiled into 'Volume 7: Exiled'. This was unfortunate as many of the problems that arose at this time were blatantly editorial driven and Bunn ended up carrying the can for that. It's not a great run though. Bunn's handling of Mera was poor and the whole shebang seemed badly out of character all round. There were one or two good ideas bandied around here that are not executed properly. The art's divisive also. If you want to skip any of these volumes then this is the one.

The final book of the New52 Aquaman era was 'Volume 8: Out Of Darkness' written by Dan Abnett. It's much more back on course, you can pretty much always rely on Abnett to steady the ship on any title. Abnett's run has continued into the Rebirth era so this final volume is well worth picking up. It just feels more like an Aquaman title again, after the Bunn run which felt off-kilter.
    Last edited by WillieMorgan; 03-30-2017 at 05:44 AM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    Well, if you've just read the first 3 volumes then 'Volume 4: Death Of A King' is absolutely essential. It concludes the Geoff Johns run that was built up across those previous 3 books. You've kind of read 3/4's of the way through a story arc there and it would be a shame to just leave it at that. Plus, it's great too.

New52 Aquaman was then handed over to Jeff Parker, who wrote 'Volume 5: Sea Of Storms' and 'Volume 6: Maelstrom'. In my opinion this was one of the most underrated runs in the whole New52 era. Parker obviously had a strong understanding of the character and, perhaps even more importantly, his world which was fleshed out in immaculate fashion. The way that Parker placed Atlantis and it's history firmly into the bedrock of the larger DCU was brilliantly handled. He was on point with his characterisation too. Little scenes like Arthur and Mera attending Arthur's high school reunion were wonderful little flourishes. It was a colourful and vibrant run on the comic and a modern highlight for me.

Then Cullen Bunn took the reins for the DC You era run on Aquaman. Bunn was heavily criticised for his take on the character, so much so that he walked away after only 8 issues (and he'd apparently wanted to bail much earlier!). This run is compiled into 'Volume 7: Exiled'. This was unfortunate as many of the problems that arose at this time were blatantly editorial driven and Bunn ended up carrying the can for that. It's not a great run though. Bunn's handling of Mera was poor and the whole shebang seemed badly out of character all round. There were one or two good ideas bandied around here that are not executed properly. The art's divisive also. If you want to skip any of these volumes then this is the one.

The final book of the New52 Aquaman era was 'Volume 8: Out Of Darkness' written by Dan Abnett. It's much more back on course, you can pretty much always rely on Abnett to steady the ship on any title. Abnett's run has continued into the Rebirth era so this final volume is well worth picking up. It just feels more like an Aquaman title again, after the Bunn run which felt off-kilter.
    Many thanks! Very helpful. I'll probably get vol. 4 and whenever get the chance I'll have a look at Parker's run.

Fantastic Member

On a somewhat related topic, do we know for how long Sejic will be on Aquaman?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by new_onslaught View Post
    I don't think we ever know how long anyone is going to be on anything, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    I must respectfully disagree with these sentiments since, though short-lived, there was nothing holistically wrong with Bunn's take on Aquaman and his world. It seemed like the fan base unnecessarily had a knee jerk reaction to suddenly seeing Aquaman on the run from Atlantis with new powers in tow and Mera seemingly taking a villainous turn. However, through a series of flashbacks and surprising developments, Bunn was able to fully establish the events that led to these developments in fine fashion. All the writer did was make a time jump from Parker's run. All in all this was still Aquaman. He was the same hero through and through, that he would sacrifice his kingship and his relationship with his people to save the citizens of another aquatic dimension. Furthermore, I always saw this as an extension of the mythology Geoff Johns created (7 kingdoms of Atlantis). Jeff Parker's run was solid. It always felt like the run John's would deliver if he was not preoccupied with writing toward the next major event. He wrote within a particlar status quo that eventually got a little stale. Bunn temporarily shook things up a bit and there's nothing wrong with that.

I should say that's the very cyclical nature of comics since Abbet will be repeating the general "Atlantis vs. Aquaman" concept very soon.
    I'm convinced that most people, who hate on a comic, never read said comic.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    I don't think we ever know how long anyone is going to be on anything, lol.
    Generally that' true, but I was thinking that he might had said something relevant, because I remember something about a fan saying to him that he finally left Top Cow and him replying that he does not plan to leave Top Cow, so maybe he has an idea of how long he will be on Aquaman. Is Aquaman still twice monthly? I know he is very fast but I don't know whether he can keep up with twice monthly schedule. It will be a pity to pair him with another artist, his style is very unique.

I believe only for the "Underworld" arc he is slated to draw.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

...and I plan to check out the new series when Sejic comes on board. Would someone be so kind and give a summary of what happened in the remaining New 52 volumes and whether they are worth the read?
    You really should check out the issues before Sejic joins because a lot of plot has happened.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    You really should check out the issues before Sejic joins because a lot of plot has happened.
    Yes, there is a DC Rebirth sale on Comixology including the Bebirth issue of Aquaman and the first 6 issues of the new volume and I plan to get these.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Parkers run is too ignored. That run was also really good. I like how the stories revolved around Atlantis and the writing was like a continuation of Johns run imo.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by mr. k0 View Post
    I must respectfully disagree with these sentiments since, though short-lived, there was nothing holistically wrong with Bunn's take on Aquaman and his world. It seemed like the fan base unnecessarily had a knee jerk reaction to suddenly seeing Aquaman on the run from Atlantis with new powers in tow and Mera seemingly taking a villainous turn. However, through a series of flashbacks and surprising developments, Bunn was able to fully establish the events that led to these developments in fine fashion. All the writer did was make a time jump from Parker's run. All in all this was still Aquaman. He was the same hero through and through, that he would sacrifice his kingship and his relationship with his people to save the citizens of another aquatic dimension. Furthermore, I always saw this as an extension of the mythology Geoff Johns created (7 kingdoms of Atlantis). Jeff Parker's run was solid. It always felt like the run John's would deliver if he was not preoccupied with writing toward the next major event. He wrote within a particlar status quo that eventually got a little stale. Bunn temporarily shook things up a bit and there's nothing wrong with that.

I should say that's the very cyclical nature of comics since Abbet will be repeating the general "Atlantis vs. Aquaman" concept very soon.
    I'll have to respectfully disagree with you as well. There's nothing wrong with shaking things up, but his run felt like a completely different series. His characterization of Arthur was completely off, saying things that were very out of character. Mere is the love of his life, and you never really see him give it much thought that she's now trying to kill him.

And how on earth did Mera gain leadership over Atlantis. She has absolutely no authority. They see her and her people as traitorous. She's only tolerated because she's with the King.

Sorry, this run was just bad. Plot holes galore.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mr. k0 View Post

I'm certainly glad that you enjoyed it and I do agree with certain points that you've made there. When I was responding to the OP in my initial post I was trying to sum up the Bunn run on Aquaman in an even handed way and perhaps I didn't quite pull that off. I did mention though that many of the issues some fans have with this run are understood to have been editorially mandated rather than from being a failing on Bunn's part. I've also read and enjoyed Bunn's work across the Green Lantern titles (one of them, 'Lost Army' was cut short in a criminal fashion!). I consider his writing overall to be of a very good standard. When it comes to his work on Aquaman though, he was plainly given a mandate from his editors to take the title down a new direction that was utterly jarring at the time.

The way that the flashback elements of the story unfolded were more about damage limitation than pre-planning on the writers part. Bunn even admitted on this very forum that the Mera/Siren evil-twin switcheroo was a clumsy plot device that he'd never have considered employing under normal circumstances. I'm genuinely glad that the story worked for you, I don't outright hate it either personally, but the story panned out the way it did through creative back-tracking not careful planning. I stand by my earlier comment that if the OP wants to cut a few corners in getting back up to speed on Arthur then this book is the best one to avoid.

I totally agree that some variant of the 'exiled' Aquaman scenario is inevitable again in the future, such is the cyclical nature of comic-books. I also agree that there's nothing wrong with shaking things up occasionally. It's best to do something like that in a more organic and natural fashion though. It needs to be pre-planned better. We suddenly ended up with the Aquaman title heading down a totally different path that just didn't make any sense when put into context with what had come before. It was utterly out of sync. I reiterate once again that this was more an editorial clusterf##k than any lack of ability on Bunn's part. It's fine turning Arthur's world upside down as long as it still fits the previously established parameters and I'm afraid that this particular run just didn't achieve that.

I appreciate your enthusiasm on this subject .
    Last edited by WillieMorgan; 03-31-2017 at 11:09 AM.

BANNED

Generally that' true, but I was thinking that he might had said something relevant, because I remember something about a fan saying to him that he finally left Top Cow and him replying that he does not plan to leave Top Cow, so maybe he has an idea of how long he will be on Aquaman. Is Aquaman still twice monthly? I know he is very fast but I don't know whether he can keep up with twice monthly schedule. It will be a pity to pair him with another artist, his style is very unique.
    I read that message of Sejick on cbr. he didn't just say he wasn't planing to leave Top Cow, he said that he would never leave Top Cow. (this got my hopes up to see him draw The Darkness and The Witchblade again someday ) And i hope he will stay on Aquaman at least 5 years, that would be awesome. What would be really really awesome though is he's saying on Aquaman forever
    Last edited by Batarang; 03-31-2017 at 11:24 AM.