Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Knives View Post
    Just one question why Maximus is being punished this time?

For what he did during Civil War II?
    I'm still not clear on what exactly triton did, either.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jyamen View Post
    I was waiting on this book until I read the reviews on here. Sounds like its still being sold as XMen light, which I have no interest in. The moment this book starts truly embracing itself as an ancient alien/hybrid outpost of an old kree culture, then Ill give this property a shot. Send them into space, give it to a writer who loves high concept space opera, which this book is perfect for.
    I don't know how anyone would get the impression that this is "X-Men Lite" as that's not even remotely the case.

I liked this Prime issue. Definitely tees the Inhumans up well for the relaunch.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    I'm still not clear on what exactly triton did, either.
    Triton felt Stark needed more severe comeuppance so he agreed to help Maximus blow up Stark Tower to provoke Stark and Medusa into war.

Quote Originally Posted by jyamen View Post
    I was waiting on this book until I read the reviews on here. Sounds like its still being sold as XMen light, which I have no interest in. The moment this book starts truly embracing itself as an ancient alien/hybrid outpost of an old kree culture, then Ill give this property a shot. Send them into space, give it to a writer who loves high concept space opera, which this book is perfect for.
    Here's your problem.

'sounds like' go read it for yourself.

It's not hard to guess where the "X-Men light" criticism is coming from.

There's nothing X-Men like in this issue, and unlike X-Men Prime this issue actually tells a consistent and good story that'll lead into Royals.

It was definitely not X-Men lite. Ewing was pulling from some deep spaces in this issue if you know what to look for. I'd say it's a pretty seemless leap from Souls to Ewing and I am stoked for Royals.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Astonishing Member Ianbarreilles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
    Triton felt Stark needed more severe comeuppance so he agreed to help Maximus blow up Stark Tower to provoke Stark and Medusa into war.

Here's your problem.

There's nothing X-Men like in this issue, and unlike X-Men Prime this issue actually tells a consistent and good story that'll lead into Royals.
    I thought both inhumans prime and X-men prime were really good actually.

Most notable to me about Inhumans Prime is that it appears that Ewing has been given a lot more freedom to let the Inhumans be true to themselves warts and all. It's not X-Men Light at all... perhaps more like X-Men Dark.
    Throughout his entire tenure on Inhumans, Charles Soule didn't (or wasn't allowed to) acknowledge Attilan's shameful history of being a former slave state; yet Ewing does so right off the bat. Likewise the whole reframing The Royals as being innocent over the deaths brought about by the Terrigen Cloud was also thrown out.
    My guess is that the editorial push to broaden the appeal of the Inhumans has been loosened... thus giving Ewing the leeway to portray the Inhumans more akin to how they were depicted in Silent War, Realm of Kings et cetera. I think this will be a very good thing. The intrigue of the Inhumans has often been because of their many flaws, not despite them.

Doc always says it better than I ever could.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

It might just because i'm tired of hearing it,but I've never thought the inhumans were x-men light, even during Soule's run. But that being said I'm really glad we have new writers going in new directions with them.

Anyway this issue was really good & got me excited for Royals/Black Bolt

Also it made me think a lot about that theory that Max and Black Bolt switched places. I mean... probably not but sending Max to space prison seems like too much of a coincidence.

Niffleheim

Do you mean the man in the Man in the Iron Mask-esque Alecto? Soule's Inhuman had Max and BB look like twins
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Sonic View Post
    Most notable to me about Inhumans Prime is that it appears that Ewing has been given a lot more freedom to let the Inhumans be true to themselves warts and all. It's not X-Men Light at all... perhaps more like X-Men Dark.
    Throughout his entire tenure on Inhumans, Charles Soule didn't (or wasn't allowed to) acknowledge Attilan's shameful history of being a former slave state; yet Ewing does so right off the bat. Likewise the whole reframing The Royals as being innocent over the deaths brought about by the Terrigen Cloud was also thrown out.
    My guess is that the editorial push to broaden the appeal of the Inhumans has been loosened... thus giving Ewing the leeway to portray the Inhumans more akin to how they were depicted in Silent War, Realm of Kings et cetera. I think this will be a very good thing. The intrigue of the Inhumans has often been because of their many flaws, not despite them
    This sort of catharsis is what IvX needed, and the lack of it is why many xfans like myself became disgusted by the Royals. Hiding their flaws makes them come off as Mary Sue's, and beyond hypocritical knowing their past history.

Acknowledging their flaws straight up, and taking some responsibility for their part in IvX, is what they were missing during Soule's run.

This does not sound XMEN light.

With that said, can you expand on what I bolded? How was their being innocent about IvX thrown out?

BANNED

Here's your problem.

Kind of expected, knowing where it comes from.

Not to mention Royals are exactly what said poster "wants" for the Inhumans.

Quote Originally Posted by Calaigah View Post
    This sort of catharsis is what IvX needed, and the lack of it is why many xfans like myself became disgusted by the Royals. Hiding their flaws makes them come off as Mary Sue's, and beyond hypocritical knowing their past history.

Acknowledging their flaws straight up, and taking some responsibility for their part in IvX, is what they were missing during Soule's run.

This does not sound XMEN light.

With that said, can you expand on what I bolded? How was their being innocent about IvX thrown out?
    How would acknowledging their slave state past have affected IVX at all? It's not even relevant to the conflict.

BANNED

How would acknowledging their slave state past have affected IVX at all? It's not even relevant to the conflict.
    It didn't jive with them being beloved heroes in a world that Marvel pushes as socially conscious.

Imagine if in real life, someone is calling themselves a hero of some sorts, and then it's revealed they built their empire off the back of slaves? Sure they stopped that but it wasn't that long ago. Slavery was even longer ago, and if it was revealed anyone made their fortunes directly off of that, well, they wouldn't be beloved.

And it is relevant to IvX, they made their fortunes by enslaving minorities they saw as expendable in the long run, and with the terrigen mists they were once again building themselves up at the cost of another minority group.

Quote Originally Posted by Calaigah View Post
    It didn't jive with them being beloved heroes in a world that Marvel pushes as socially conscious.

Imagine if in real life, someone is calling themselves a hero of some sorts, and then it's revealed they built their empire off the back of slaves? Sure they stopped that but it wasn't that long ago. Slavery was even longer ago, and if it was revealed anyone made their fortunes directly off of that, well, they wouldn't be beloved.

And it is relevant to IvX, they made their fortunes by enslaving minorities they saw as expendable in the long run, and with the terrigen mists they were once again building themselves up at the cost of another minority group.
    Have you not heard of the United States or?

Astonishing Member Ianbarreilles's Avatar

I like how medusa acknowledged her and the royals mistakes for putting tradition over the lives of others I believe it was truly heartfelt and touching her acknowledging this and reading it that is mostly because Ewing's talent as a writer especially with scripting dialouge.
    Last edited by Ianbarreilles; 03-30-2017 at 12:16 PM.