Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    It was definitely not X-Men lite. Ewing was pulling from some deep spaces in this issue if you know what to look for. I'd say it's a pretty seemless leap from Souls to Ewing and I am stoked for Royals.
    Yeah, that's my thought. Ewing did a good job capturing the voice of the characters as Soule had done them, so it doesn't feel jarring at all to see things move along.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

You rang? (adding more words to the post I made earlier, though not nearly as eloquently as some of the other posters here are able to do):

I'm not sure if Soule was asked to ignore the Alpha primatives by editorial (and I agree with Doc here, I think Soule's hand was a bit guided on Uncanny Inhumans) or if he chose to ignore it. But it wasn't addressed and that stinks but I am not going to get hung up about it. The Royals ARE NOT superheroes (with maybe the exception of Crystal who is probably the closest to a superhero any of them will get), but I would argue that some of the new Inhumans are. I wish All-New Inhumans hadn't gotten canceled - that was the book where you really saw the struggle the Inhumans had with trying to fit into the rest of the world after eons of isolation and how truly faulted the Inhuman society is. We saw a little bit of it earlier in Soule's run, but not enough in Uncanny IMO. And in regards to All-New Inhumans -some of the places Asmus was planning to take that book if it hadn't gotten canceled were AMAZING. But I digress.

What I loved about this issue is that it was just such a seemless (mostly) transition from Soule - he honors a lot of what Soule had taken the time to build, but he also addressed quite a few things that had been built into Inhumans story previous. I love Ewing's Maximus - he's the delightful *******, but with a bit more sting than Soule's take on the character (which I also adored). We are seeing the regret of choices (however necessary they were) that were made, things that maybe the Royal Family could have handled better. Crystal seems the most distraught about it - and I'm curious as to why since Luna has powers (unless that's been retconned away?). Iso is a wise choice to Lead Attilan and it makes even more sense once you see the preview to Royals #1 why Medusa chose Iso and not say Karnak. Triton made some poor choices but it looks like he'll be doing his penance in the Tower of Wisdom - and we saw how well that went for Ulysses (check out his infinite comic by Al Ewing. It's pretty great). Triton won't be in for an easy time. I do hope we see him show up again though. I have to admit I really liked seeing him with Maximus -that's an interesting dynamic there and I'm sad to see it end.

Kudos to how Ewing described some of the characters with Kamala being "Embiggener" and Frank being "The Detective". I dunno. It tickled me. I didn't mind the artwork - Sook's was the best, but over all having different artists on the issue didn't bother me too much. But maybe that's because I was invested in the story?
    Last edited by Seren; 03-30-2017 at 02:55 PM.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Calaigah View Post
    Thanks for your input DocSonic. I think you and RedRunner are the only Inhuman fans that don't act like their sh*t doesn't stink. Unfortunately your voices get drowned out by those who think they are never wrong.
    I can say the same thing for the X-men and their fans.

Anyway it was kind of a slow read for me but the last few pages have me looking forward to Royals. Kinda wish there was some building up for Secret Warriors.

My only complain about Ewing's take of the Inhumans is Swain, and the part that she says she doesn't like the powers, because she practically repeated the same thing in the preview of Royals #1 when talking with Marvel Boy and I'm worried that she will repeating the same thing constantly in every issue of Royals, which would make her extremely annoying at least for my taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    My only complain about Ewing's take of the Inhumans is Swain, and the part that she says she doesn't like the powers, because she practically repeated the same thing in the preview of Royals #1 when talking with Marvel Boy and I'm worried that she will repeating the same thing constantly in every issue of Royals, which would make her extremely annoying at least for my taste.
    Yeah that was something Swain was struggling with in All-New Inhumans as well. Swain can't tell if people legitimately like her or if it's her powers MAKING people like her. So she's got some anxiety about it and I think she feels the need to warn people. Ewing seems to really like Swain though, so I am hoping we'll get some good character development for her. She's pretty awesome and I'm glad to see her.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Yeah that was something Swain was struggling with in All-New Inhumans as well. Swain can't tell if people legitimately like her or if it's her powers MAKING people like her. So she's got some anxiety about it and I think she feels the need to warn people. Ewing seems to really like Swain though, so I am hoping we'll get some good character development for her. She's pretty awesome and I'm glad to see her.
    Yeah, I really like Swain and she is one of the main reasons to get Royals, besides I like Ewing's work, but I'm kinda worried that she will constantly repeat that fact every issue.

I get that - though I guess we'll just have to wait and see. It could be he put it in there for anyone who decided to skip Prime.

I get that - though I guess we'll just have to wait and see. It could be he put it in there for anyone who decided to skip Prime.
    I really hope that.

this. Zero issues and now 'primes' are fun samplers for those with a bigger comic buying budget, but also designed as skippable.
    Plus I wouldn't be surprised if Ewing wrote the script for Prime after writing the first arc of Royals.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Sonic View Post
    this. Zero issues and now 'primes' are fun samplers for those with a bigger comic buying budget, but also designed as skippable.
    Plus I wouldn't be surprised if Ewing wrote the script for Prime after writing the first arc of Royals.
    Ewing IMO Doc Sonic is one of the Best Writers in Comics right now, he GETS how to make Cosmic~Cosmic and how to make Comics over the Top Epic in the way they need to be, just read US Avengers and you get just how Good he is at that!

Honestly I could not thing of a BETTER Writer for Royals or Especially Inhuman Prime, This is Going to be Something Grand!

Also while the Prime/#0 Books might not be 100% needed to get the other Series goings on overall, I felt Inhumans Prime #1 was Very Much Important in wrapping up the previous Era of Inhumans and the starting point of the New Books.

So for me to other fans I HIGHLY Recommend Inhumans Prime #1!
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Quote Originally Posted by CJStriker View Post
    Ewing IMO Doc Sonic is one of the Best Writers in Comics right now, he GETS how to make Cosmic~Cosmic and how to make Comics over the Top Epic in the way they need to be, just read US Avengers and you get just how Good he is at that!
    Honestly I could not thing of a BETTER Writer for Royals or Especially Inhuman Prime, This is Going to be Something Grand!
    Also while the Prime/#0 Books might not be 100% needed to get the other Series goings on overall, I felt Inhumans Prime #1 was Very Much Important in wrapping up the previous Era of Inhumans and the starting point of the New Books.
    So for me to other fans I HIGHLY Recommend Inhumans Prime #1!
    that's a good point, CJ. While Prime may not be essential reading in regards to The Royals moving forward (fans who just pick up the first issue won't be lost), it does act as a very nice bookend for what has come before... as well as a good transition from the Soule era of Inhumans to the Ewing era.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Sonic View Post
    that's a good point, CJ. While Prime may not be essential reading in regards to The Royals moving forward (fans who just pick up the first issue won't be lost), it does act as a very nice bookend for what has come before... as well as a good transition from the Soule era of Inhumans to the Ewing era.
    Indeed well said Doc Sonic.

While Reading the Previews of Royals #1 I did feel one could read that alone without Prime #1 and still get the story nearly full and not have to read Prime to fully enjoy it, that is the brilliance of the writing by Ewing, he allows the readers of Prime to know they have a transition to Royals that make sense but that only Royal readers still don't feel lost to much.

However I think what might end up being a More Later on in-genius thing about Prime is that the little tid-bits it leaves us with while we have that transition. It will be a book that later down the line we will go back to and say that stories in Royals, Black Bolt, Secret Warriors and others make more sense now cause they have a root in Prime and it is clever how the story is worked like that.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Astonishing Member Ianbarreilles's Avatar

I'm hoping The royals will return to earth by issue 15.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CJStriker View Post
    Indeed well said Doc Sonic.

While Reading the Previews of Royals #1 I did feel one could read that alone without Prime #1 and still get the story nearly full and not have to read Prime to fully enjoy it, that is the brilliance of the writing by Ewing, he allows the readers of Prime to know they have a transition to Royals that make sense but that only Royal readers still don't feel lost to much.

However I think what might end up being a More Later on in-genius thing about Prime is that the little tid-bits it leaves us with while we have that transition. It will be a book that later down the line we will go back to and say that stories in Royals, Black Bolt, Secret Warriors and others make more sense now cause they have a root in Prime and it is clever how the story is worked like that.
    I think the biggest thing for Inhumans: Prime is Maximus. But it's also about wrapping things that came before in addition to being a preview of what's to come.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Niffleheim

I'll be shocked if by the time they return to Earth the book isn't relaunched to Royally Inhumans
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough