Astonishing Member

Default Rebirth's theme and the Teen Titans

Given Rebirth's theme, finding the core concept of titles, what made them great and getting back to that and building from there, why is DC handling the Titans the way that they are? I mean the most iconic version of the Teen Titans is the Wolfman Perez version. So if DC went through all the trouble of bringing original Wally back, even though they had a new Kid Flash Wally West in continuity, why not just go all the way? Is it just because of the Cyborg is now a founding Justice League member timing thing? I would think the importance of the Wolfman Perez Titans being canon is just as important as anything else in DC history. I just don't see the issue, the biggest obstacle was Wally which isn't an obstacle anymore all the other character are present, I know knock a few years off of everyone so Bruce doesn't get too old but is that it? They say they want legacy but not if ages it's prime characters too much I guess. Or is there another reason I am missing? I really would want to like the Titans book, it is on my pull list but I haven't read it yet. Because it feels like a half measure, I don't mind missing memories as long as it is the right memories. Kory, Vic, Wally, Dick, Garth, Donna and Raven those are the New Teen Titans. Why didn't Rebirth give them back? Or maybe that is what we get at the end of whatever this big storyline is...along with the Justice Society and the Legion of Super Heroes. That would be nice. Is there any other editorial or business reason they went the way they went with the Teen Titans?

BANNED

I mean, the Fab5 are in Titans, where they should be. I'm not a fan of the characters, but I do see that Kory, Raven, and Garfield should be with them...that's not going to happen though because DC is going to keep them babies forever. And frankly, I'm kind of glad they're separated. The adult Titans book has enough trouble balancing its cast as is, and throwing in 3 or 4 more characters would be too much for Abnett. He's good, but he's no Devin Grayson. Plus, while the fact that Raven and BB are teens is annoying, they're doing just fine as Damian's Titans. I do hope though that in the near future, Raven can go join JLD, and BB can move to Doom Patrol, so that they can bring in some of the new, young heroes onto the team.

I am not a fan of the NTT era, and while it's undoubtedly the most "iconic" in mainstream media, for comic readers, no Titans group has more significance than the Fab5, and they were the team that needed to be in Rebirth.

Oh, and if they DID make a book inspired by the NTT, Danny Chase would have to be in it for me to pick it up. Cause he's the best.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by unclepulky View Post
    I mean, the Fab5 are in Titans, where they should be. I'm not a fan of the characters, but I do see that Kory, Raven, and Garfield should be with them...that's not going to happen though because DC is going to keep them babies forever. And frankly, I'm kind of glad they're separated. The adult Titans book has enough trouble balancing its cast as is, and throwing in 3 or 4 more characters would be too much for Abnett. He's good, but he's no Devin Grayson. Plus, while the fact that Raven and BB are teens is annoying, they're doing just fine as Damian's Titans. I do hope though that in the near future, Raven can go join JLD, and BB can move to Doom Patrol, so that they can bring in some of the new, young heroes onto the team.

I am not a fan of the NTT era, and while it's undoubtedly the most "iconic" in mainstream media, for comic readers, no Titans group has more significance than the Fab5, and they were the team that needed to be in Rebirth.

Oh, and if they DID make a book inspired by the NTT, Danny Chase would have to be in it for me to pick it up. Cause he's the best.
    That's a lie and you know it. EVERYONE thinks of WP Titans when they think of the Titans

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    Given Rebirth's theme, finding the core concept of titles, what made them great and getting back to that and building from there, why is DC handling the Titans the way that they are? I mean the most iconic version of the Teen Titans is the Wolfman Perez version. So if DC went through all the trouble of bringing original Wally back, even though they had a new Kid Flash Wally West in continuity, why not just go all the way? Is it just because of the Cyborg is now a founding Justice League member timing thing? I would think the importance of the Wolfman Perez Titans being canon is just as important as anything else in DC history. I just don't see the issue, the biggest obstacle was Wally which isn't an obstacle anymore all the other character are present, I know knock a few years off of everyone so Bruce doesn't get too old but is that it? They say they want legacy but not if ages it's prime characters too much I guess. Or is there another reason I am missing? I really would want to like the Titans book, it is on my pull list but I haven't read it yet. Because it feels like a half measure, I don't mind missing memories as long as it is the right memories. Kory, Vic, Wally, Dick, Garth, Donna and Raven those are the New Teen Titans. Why didn't Rebirth give them back? Or maybe that is what we get at the end of whatever this big storyline is...along with the Justice Society and the Legion of Super Heroes. That would be nice. Is there any other editorial or business reason they went the way they went with the Teen Titans?
    They went that was cos the older guys have the Titans and also to resemble the TV shows and the movie. The current TT is very similar to the shows. That would not work with the older team.

BANNED

To be I think there's several reasons why it's this group of Titans we are seeing now rather than the NTT line up:

-Cyborg, it seems to me DC is adamant to keep him away from the Titans and on the JL squad, because they are putting their money on him being the default black character for that team now.
    -Past, because the NTT reunion has been attempted a few times now in different guises with varying and perhaps declining success, it is possible they went with the Fab5 simply to avoid people going 'here we go again'.
    -Personal choices, while I ofc do not know for sure, I am not above suspecting a DC Big Wig of making this choice simply because he or she liked the Fab5 version more. I mean Didio at some point let slip at a con a few years ago that it was simply time to bury the NTT team.

Quote Originally Posted by unclepulky View Post
    No it wasn't, because the only thing the Fab5 really did as an idea or as a team was to lay the foundation NTT would be built on. The book did not sell very well, the stories were not very good, there was very little or no respect about it and because the writers didn't read the fine print we ended up with the jumbled mess called Donna Troy.

And the thing is, you could recreate the NTT with no difficulty now almost the same way as they did back in the day. Because all you really need is for 3 of the characters to know and have worked with each other before, the other three were all new. As for balance... well you could give Tempest, Omen and Arsenal the boot to make room. Arsenal is pretty much there for the jokes he provides, Tempest is there because apparently the team needs a polystyrene block, and Omen is trying so hard to be Raven anyways you might as well get the real deal.