Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

On reflection I think Whedon could just about convince me to go to the cinema to watch a DC movie. That in itself is a positive because the last time I did that was The Dark Knight, which I regretted. Since then I have probably paid to see 80% of the other high profile comic book movies excepting DC and mostly been happy. Especially as I avoided the F4 disaster and didn't bother with Doctor Strange or Thor 2.

The Whedon influenced Avengers movies were both great IMO and CA:CW could have done with a sprinkle of his brand of pixie-dust because it was muddled and overly earnest. Then again, so was Logan so that is becoming a problem in cinema at the moment. I can forgive an awful lot if the filmmakers don't take themselves too seriously. The minute they start to drift into "adult themes" my critical side kicks in because they are then trying to compete for a wider cinema audience. Given the choice of High Rise or Logan I would choose High Rise every day. I would choose all of the X-Men movies over another dark toned DC movie.

I have tried twice to sit down and watch Suicide Squad and both times had to switch it off mainly because I was finding my attention drifting to household chores or my phone. A friend twisted my arm with BvS extended version one evening when nothing else was on and I hated every moment of the experience. It left me wondering how awful the original cut must be if people were comparing this one favourably.

Mighty Member

yeah, Whedon's generally glib and flippant approach to story-telling can be a nice contrast to the studied earnestness that we see from other directors. I don't think of it as 'better', though. I just think of it as different.

it's all about personal tastes: I'd rather watch "Man of Steel" (even though I loathe Snyder) again then sit through "X-Men: Origins" one more time. the only thing I liked about "Origins" got transformed into the "Deadpool" movie. so there's no need to even bother rewatching it.

I love Whedon, I love Batman characters...but I'm not a fan of the DCEU. Three movies in, and I feel strangely detached from it, particularly since we're so late in Batman's career. Maybe this will be more personal and make me care for once. Although as far as executive meddling goes...ehh...I don't want to get my hopes up.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    I think a Whedon movie focused on one superhero would look a lot different than a team movie like The Avengers. Less spectacle, more character building and dialogue. And the first DC movie that's FUN to watch since Tim Burton's Batman.
    Holy crap, has it been that long? Well, I guess Batman Forever and Suicide Squad were fun...dumb fun, but fun...Green Lantern was a lot of wasted potential, but it had its fun moments. Everything else has just been drab.